The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kat2pult
Oooh I didn't know that, thank you!

SUs try to be as easily contactable as possible, and if you've got two or more campuses they'll be trying even harder to do so :smile: You may need to pop in at some point to see them, but you can definitely contact them in other ways at first!
Course representatives? It's not about whether it's your word against hers. If there is support from other peers and it's impacting learning/education, then it has to be dealt with. You pay your fees so you should be entitled to what you require/deserve. You won't feel better until it's dealt with. If it matters, it matters.
Email student support and ask how to go about it if you don't want to email directly to the undergraduate/postgraduate office because she might be closely linked to them.
I have, I was advised not to by my friends but they would support me no matter what. I went ahead with the complaint and it was an absolute masterpiece, it went exactly how I wanted it to go. I am not going to say what my university is or what happened; but I am a third (final) year student in a science subject. There was one module headed by Dr X accompanied with Dr Y. Dr X was a cruel marker, rubbish lecturer, and genuinely an absolute bore. Dr X was likewise but only read of the slides, and not cruel. I had already made an informal complaint about Dr X previously because of poor marking. Nothing came out of the informal complaint, but the formal complaint is where a lot of action had taken place. My formal complaint was very serious, I had to report an incident along with complaining about how poorly the module was executed. This incident was purely the fault of Dr X; and I have been completely exonerated and applauded by my supervisors. The incident was very concerning and action had to be taken, I am not saying what happened other than it was a form of bullying.

I would like to say I am an extremely good student who always turns up for lectures, submits work on time and am constructive and well liked by my peers and supervisors. My previous informal complaint was a view shared by many. Unfortunately people were embarrassed by their grades and we never realised how many people felt under marked. I think we should have made a group complaint then; but it never happened because we were dishonest and disunited with each other (students). I made an informal complaint to another teacher by email, I think the teacher did feel sympathy and knew I deserved a much higher score but did nothing. This is why I would never advocate informal complaints. You have to realise your teachers work with each other and even though they may not like their peers, they still have a common interest and will not work against each other.

The formal complaint was as follows. I and Dr X already had a mutual distrust for each other and did not see eye-to-eye. But I have always been civil and I never did anything wrong. He just didn't like how I would constructively disagree and argue against his silly ideas. I had already aired my misgivings to him personally in an informal yet professional manner when I discussed my mark. Following this new module which was so thoroughly disliked I knew I had to do something. I started to prepare a group complaint with myself heading it (no-one else was up to it). This is when the

Latest

Trending

Trending