The Student Room Group

How is life in Brazil?

I´m thinking about studying abroad and lean towards Brazil but have not made up my mind yet. It seems like Brazil is going to be the center of the world for a few years with Olympic games (2016) and world championship in football (2014). Which makes it one of the top candidates.

So it would be fun to talk to some locals and get a better understanding of the culture and the people. I´ll just ask some questions and see If there is anyone out there who can answer.

University of Sao Paulo is the Brazilian alternative for me, do you have anything to say about it?

As I understand, the main language is portuguese but how far do you come with your English? Is it necessary to be able to talk portuguese if you want to get to know the local people?

Are the people social in general?

How would you explain the Brazilian people with three words?

everyone who has any experience of Brazil can feel free to answer the questions even if you only been there on vacation? I hope this will be an interesting discussion!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dangerous; gangs armed with guns. Lots of drug production and trafficking.

ALSO - PORTUGUESE is the language. PLEASE get this right. How can you not know?!!?
It's Hot.
Reply 3
football gangs girls
Reply 4
Original post by yothi5
dangerous; gangs armed with guns. Lots of drug production and trafficking.

ALSO - PORTUGUESE is the language. PLEASE get this right. How can you not know?!!?

Sorry for writing Spanish guess I typed to fast :colondollar:

Seems like you have at least some experience of Brazil do you have any thing to add except all the danger?
Reply 5
I don't know much about university life in Brazil, but I do know that they speak Portuguese not Spanish.
Reply 6
Original post by Sunshine showers
It's Hot.

It´s is hot is an answer that leaves much to the imagination. pleas add more about the weather?
Reply 7
Original post by Mimms
Brazilians are a very social people, being a loner is something you have to actively work at, and even then people will ask you what's wrong with you and invite you to hang out.

Their polyglots. The national language is Portuguese not Spanish, but most Brazilians can speak Spanish too.

Like any developing country crime is rife so be extra cautious. For instance when you walk to a cash point be aware of whose around you. Don't be flash with cash or you'll get punked.

Is it much crime even in the richer city areas?
Original post by mombasa528491
It´s is hot is an answer that leaves much to the imagination. pleas add more about the weather?

The temperature is high.
Sexy.

I'm serious, I used to work in a brazilian restaurant and all the brazilian staff were like ****ing models, sculpted from zeus' eye balls, baked in hercules' ass and finished in the mouth of helen of troy.................. then there was me, this scottish hunch back troll lurking about in the corner making drinks behind the bar where there was less light to burn my pale skin and so I wouldn't be seen and frighten off customers. lol
watch 'city of god'.. pretty self-explanatory..
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Sexy.

I'm serious, I used to work in a brazilian restaurant and all the brazilian staff were like ****ing models, sculpted from zeus' eye balls, baked in hercules' ass and finished in the mouth of helen of troy.................. then there was me, this scottish hunch back troll lurking about in the corner making drinks behind the bar where there was less light to burn my pale skin and so I wouldn't be seen and frighten off customers. lol

I´m from Sweden where the girls also are known to be hot, but pale swedes probably don´t have much against the golden brown Brazilian lady's.
Original post by tomatoslayer
watch 'city of god'.. pretty self-explanatory..

I have actually seen it and it is a good movie. but It only shows life from the poor side and probably not as similar to university life :smile:
Reply 13
sexy wummin
Original post by Mimms
You don't need to be paranoid just have some street smarts. It's an incredible country.

Do you have any University experience or have you only visited the country on vacation?
Well Cintia Dicker is Brazillian... so yea. The ladies are hot.
Original post by mombasa528491
I have actually seen it and it is a good movie. but It only shows life from the poor side and probably not as similar to university life :smile:

i know! the movie is really good :smile:
that's all i really know about brazil.. sorry.
Original post by Mimms
An internship.

At what type of company? We in Europe don´t here much from Brazil even though it´s one of the largest countries in the world, do you have any idea why?
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Well Cintia Dicker is Brazillian... so yea. The ladies are hot.

She seems a bit skinny for me I like my women to have more than bones to grab.
Original post by Mimms
Proper peng over there :sogood:

Deloitte/Société Générale sponsored Franco-Brazilian development fund.

I don't think there used to be very strong links with S. America. Though the EU is stepping in now along with China as the region develops. Though the US is still dominant.

I assume that you have some business degree since your internship was at an economic firm. I myself study economics :smile:

So do you think that China is the more suitable option for me? Since Europe is more dependent on the Asian market?

Quick Reply

Latest