The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Economics and Politics

I've just received my first response from any university and as it turns out Edinburgh have given me a conditional offer. Anyway, I'm very pleased with myself, it feels good to get some recognition, I’m sure you all know the feeling. To be honest I never had Edinburgh as one of my top choices (NOT being bigheaded), but now that they've given me an offer I'm curious. What sort of reputation does the university (this course in particular) have compared to say Warwick, UCL or Durham? As a Norwegian student I hadn’t heard of the uni until I started doing research a few months ago and noticed Edinburgh was fairly high up on most rankings. I’d appreciate any comments.
Reply 1
I don't know about its reputation compared to other universities,so I can only really say how I'm finding the course.

Economics is good, although a little basic. If you've done Economics beforehand, it'll be easy (although quite boring). It's also (for the past few years been) been at 9AM. This I hate!

Politics in the first semester is absolutely dire. You learn all the basics i.e what is the legislature, what is an executive, what is governance, what are the differences in election systems etc. This is dull and you'll probably be sleeping through it. It's advantages are that it has been at 3pm for the past few years, so you wont have to get out of bed for it!

Second Semester Politics is far more interesting. You compare Germany, the UK and South Africa and discuss devolution, apartheid etc.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I've applied and have yet to hear anything :frown: ..... fingers crossed that i will soon though, judging by the decisions that seem to be coming through.

Latest

Trending

Trending