The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philistine
Hermi-one, was it? :ahee:

My Mum was convinced that Hermione was Her-moyn when she was reading the books. It was only when she was talking about it to me that she realised it wasn't right!
Original post by fredscarecrow
In my head I still say it 'sib-oh-han' but try and remember say it properly out loud.

It's not a name, but I say burial as 'bur-ree-all' rather than 'beh-rial' :colondollar:

People get my name wrong all the time. It's Teresa (Ter-ray-sa), not Theresa or Therese....(or any of the multiple options people provide me with). Te-rees-a drives me mad, but a lot of my associates call me it, and sometimes I just give up correcting them.

Surely once you tell them once that should be enough?
Reply 42
Original post by Acidedge
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think most people mispronounce Mitsubishi though. As a Japanese word it should be Mi-tsu-bi-shi and not Mit-su-bish-i.

Fast pronunciation of 'mi' and 'tsu' would be almost unnoticeable, though. I don't think the clerk at Bic Camera would jump over the counter and molest you for getting it wrong, mind.

Maybe, anyway. :colone:
Reply 43
Euler.

Now I know that it's oiler and not yewler.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
For a period i thought Niger was pronounced the same as the N word, rather than ni-jair. Could have been embarrassing.
Reply 45
Original post by scriggy
Hermione.

:colonhash:

Haha me too
Neimh (or however it's spelt), no idea where it gets the v-sound from :/
Reply 47
Original post by nexttime
For a period i thought Niger was pronounced the same as the N word, rather than ni-jair. Could have been embarrassing.

Embarrassing, or deadly.
Reply 48
Original post by medbh4805
People seem to have difficulty with Irish Gaelic names, like Caoimhe, Niamh, Seán, Siobhán etc above.

My name is Gráinne - I've only once met an English person who pronounced it correctly the first go, and it was a philology tutor at Oxford. I was impressed. :colonhash:

People have a problem with names that aren't pronounced how they are spelt! :tongue:

My best guess would Gra-een, or maybe Gra-inn-ay. I bet its actually something like 'ryan' though :colonhash:
Original post by SpiritedAway
Neimh (or however it's spelt), no idea where it gets the v-sound from :/

Lenited m's have a v sound in Irish before and after slender vowels.

:colonhash:
Siobhan. I always thought it was pronounced 'Sibbian', rather than 'Shiv-awn'. :facepalm:
Original post by Dominic101
Surely once you tell them once that should be enough?

Apparently not. People seem to have to be trained into it.
I even get it when I tell people my name, like when in the doctors or something.

Receptionist: So, can I take your name?
Me: Ter-ray-sa
Receptionist: Okay, thankyou Ter-rees-a, can you take a seat
Me: :mad:

It's like they think I've got my name wrong...
It took me until I was 16 to realise that Eurydice is NOT pronounced 'Yuri-dice' :frown:
Original post by nexttime
People have a problem with names that aren't pronounced how they are spelt! :tongue:

They are pronounced as they're spelt - it's because Irish has a different spelling system from English :fuhrer:

My best guess would Gra-een, or maybe Gra-inn-ay. I bet its actually something like 'ryan' though :colonhash:

Grawn-ya or Gran-ya depending on dialect :yy:

edit: looks like I've taken on the role "defender of the Irish language" in this thread :beard:....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by fredscarecrow
Apparently not. People seem to have to be trained into it.
I even get it when I tell people my name, like when in the doctors or something.

Receptionist: So, can I take your name?
Me: Ter-ray-sa
Receptionist: Okay, thankyou Ter-rees-a, can you take a seat
Me: :mad:

It's like they think I've got my name wrong...

Receptionists are a contemptible species, though. They're up there with tort lawyers, investment bankers and Royal Mail sorting officer workers.
Reply 55
I make no bones about saying that I have trouble pronouncing both Irish and Polish names. Not so much the latter these days, though I'll almost assuredly make a fool of myself with the former.

I can pronounce Taoiseach, though. That puts me above many other Englishmen. :smug:
Siobhan.

Until I was about 13, I pronounced it as "see-ob-han". It's made worse by the fact I used to have a friend called Siobhan and never caught on..

Edit: Also reminds me of my friend Beata. It's pronounced "Bay-ah-tuh" but at first I kept on calling her "Beater". -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Look up the comedian 'Shappi Khorsandi' - she did an excellent joke on 'My name is tom' from 'minameztam'
Reply 58
Jared.

Always said 'jarred'.....
Reply 59
Original post by medbh4805
People seem to have difficulty with Irish Gaelic names, like Caoimhe, Niamh, Seán, Siobhán etc above.

My name is Gráinne - I've only once met an English person who pronounced it correctly the first go, and it was a philology tutor at Oxford. I was impressed. :colonhash:

And those are the easy ones! I'm fine pronouncing those ones (and maaaybe Grainne: it's like Gran-nya, right?) because they're quite common where I'm from but when you get to the likes of Aoibheann I'm clueless. Which is embarrassing since I have an Irish name too. It's more a problem in England than back home, but the amount of times I've got Clara or "sierra" is ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending