Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Whisper)
    ...Seriously?! I thought they were two different places...So glad I've never said that out loud!
    I got it wrong during a game of trivial persuit. I kept saying arkansas (the way it Should be pronounced) and everyone was saying "ive never heard of that", i then preceded to call them idiots and uncultured, until my granny read the card, pronounced it right, everyone mocked me
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheyenne - The first time I heard this pronounced I thought it was an American person pronouncing 'Sian' incorrectly.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    I got it wrong during a game of trivial persuit. I kept saying arkansas (the way it Should be pronounced) and everyone was saying "ive never heard of that", i then preceded to call them idiots and uncultured, until my granny read the card, pronounced it right, everyone mocked me
    Haha, oh dear! I probably would have been the same. I still can't believe it's pronounced like that...I've been reading it wrong for years

(Original post by Dagnabbit)
    Cheyenne - The first time I heard this pronounced I thought it was an American person pronouncing 'Sian' incorrectly.
    I'm gonna have a guess and say "Shay-enn"?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    And in the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" they pronounced "Socrates" as "Sah-cratez."
    Playing Articulate a while back and my friend (probably about 15/6 at the time) was trying to describe the person on her card to me.
    Her: "The first bit is the first bit of my name" (Sophie)
    Me: "So"
    Her: "Yeah, the second bit is like what milk comes in" (She meant crate)

Time ran out before I could guess and after I asked her what it was and she replied "So-crates"
    I nearly wet myself when I realised she meant Socrates, I had no chance of getting the right answer!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    bronagh

i pronounced it bro-nag

but it's like bro-nuh
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    Arkansas. Its actually Ark-in-saw, what the hell america?!
    Try getting an American to pronounce "Gloucestershire". Usually it comes out as "Glauwz-ester-shiyer".
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    A guy I know's girlfriend is called Siobhan and a few of his friends had been calling her See-oh-ban
    They call her seabiscuit now (I don't know why?)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    Try getting an American to pronounce "Gloucestershire". Usually it comes out as "Glauwz-ester-shiyer".
    Try getting anyone non-British to pronounce "Loughborough"

American attempt(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4vRbwSlBI

And then there's the classic Australian "Looga-bu-rooga"...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If I saw the name Niamh written down I thought it was pronounced Niama and not like Nieve.
    Eoghan I didn't know that was the irish spelling for Owen .
    and Yvette.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    If I saw the name Niamh written down I thought it was pronounced Niama and not like Nieve.
    Eoghan I didn't know that was the irish spelling for Owen .
    and Yvette.
    I still get called Niama D:!

Aoife - eefa
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so it's not a PERSON'S name, and it's intentional as opposed to misinterpreted/mispronounced, but I always refer to Bahlsen's "Choco Liebniz" biscuits as "Choco Lesbians".
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna have a guess and say "Shay-enn"?
    It's pronounced 'shy ANNE' (stress on 2nd). It's Native American I think. :confused:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    My name's Magdalena
    People keep pronouncing it Magda-lee-na, when actually it's Magda-le-na (le as in leg). It used to annoy me very much, so now I use my nick name (Magda) rather than a full name
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sian, Sean, Anthony, Deriek
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try getting anyone non-British to pronounce "Loughborough"

American attempt(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4vRbwSlBI

And then there's the classic Australian "Looga-bu-rooga"...
    There's an area in Edinburgh called Sciennes, pronounced "sheens". A tourist at a bus stop asked me which bus to take to get to "skinnis" and I told him I'd never heard of it, I only worked it out later

Still not as funny as the American who asked my boyfriend for directions to "ly-ses-ter square" :teehee:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought Sci-fi was was Sky-fi until about 15.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to teach a girl called Angharad, which everyone pronounced Ann-harrad. Years later, I discover that her name was actually pronounced Ang-a-rad and she was just too shy to correct us all... poor kid!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was in primary, I'd address my friend, Sophia, as "soph-I-a". Until a very short time before she moved away, she finally caved and told me it was in fact pronounced "soph-ee-a".

To this day, I can never quite get the D and J in "Mahmoud Ahmedinejad" the correct way around, and I change my pronunciation of "Phnom Penh" about five times daily.

Another is the country adjacent to Vietnam, Laos. I always pronounced it "lay-os" until my brother pointed out that it's pronounced "louse". I also used to say Suriname as "surname" with an extra I, Kyrgyzstan "cargizistan", and Addis Ababa with the stress on the "bab".
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lenina)
    When I was in primary, I'd address my friend, Sophia, as "soph-I-a". Until a very short time before she moved away, she finally caved and told me it was in fact pronounced "soph-ee-a".

To this day, I can never quite get the D and J in "Mahmoud Ahmedinejad" the correct way around, and I change my pronunciation of "Phnom Penh" about five times daily.

Another is the country adjacent to Vietnam, Laos. I always pronounced it "lay-os" until my brother pointed out that it's pronounced "louse". I also used to say Suriname as "surname" with an extra I, Kyrgyzstan "cargizistan", and Addis Ababa with the stress on the "bab".
    I still say Layos, Louse creeps me out as it makes me think of head lice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Most people mispronounce 'Dylan' - its 'Duh-lahn', not 'Dillon' ...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 13, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.