The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
persephone out of the malorie blackman books :s-smilie: always thought it was pronounced pur-se-phone.
Original post by fredscarecrow
In my head I still say it 'sib-oh-han' but try and remember say it properly out loud.

It's not a name, but I say burial as 'bur-ree-all' rather than 'beh-rial' :colondollar:

People get my name wrong all the time. It's Teresa (Ter-ray-sa), not Theresa or Therese....(or any of the multiple options people provide me with). Te-rees-a drives me mad, but a lot of my associates call me it, and sometimes I just give up correcting them.

I have a stats teacher who spells her name the exact same way but pronounces it Ter-ree-sa, just to confuse matters. I never know how to spell it as there's so many variations but she has assured me that her name is spelt Teresa.
I always thought nietzsche was pronounced knee-etsh, rather than neetshee.
Original post by philistine
The irony is overwhelming. The Irish and their superfluous letters are like Tango and Cash, Tintin and Snowy, and Batman and Robin. :ahee:

As for Thailand, well, I think I stopped stepping on that syncopated landmine when I was about five. I can see the underside of that metal Corgi car now...

I still find myself these days, despite being very comfortable with the French language, mispronouncing certain names that, despite being quite obvious if one were to look at them within the ball park of French pronunciation, still muddle me due to my long acquaintance with my novice mistakes.

Here's a few I had trouble with at some point or other:

Albert Camus is Al-bear Ca-moo
Theophile Gautier is Tay-o-fee Go-tchay
Arthur Rimbaud is Ah-tuhr Ram-bo

Ah but all of our placenames are anglicised so you can't go on about the Irish language. Also, the 'extra' letters in Irish are neccessary as they change the entire pronunciation, but anyway. Some place names; Clonsilla, Blanchardstown, Celbridge, Maynooth, Ballyfermot, Chapelizod, Goleen, Glengarriff...I could go on but every single letter is pronounced. No silent letters to fool people. How DO you pronounce Thailand? We must all be very ignorant here as I here it a lot these days since everyone stops over there on their way to Oz..:biggrin:
Reply 684
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Also, not you, but what is wrong with Dylan and Thailand? I know plenty of Dylan's pronounced as Dillon and everyone I know says Thigh-land...

People who go on holiday to sight-see or go to the beach go to Tie-land.

People who go on holiday to pay for sex go to Thigh-land.
Original post by IAmTheKing
Dylan is a Welsh name, and it's pronounced 'Duh-lahn'.

Ah right, thanks. The same fate applies to many Irish names getting lost when the names move abroad I suppose.
Reply 686
Phoebe. I used to say 'Feb' when I was little :ashamed:

Some people have had trouble with my name in the past. I've been called everything from 'Easter' to 'Star'. To be fair, it's not a common name amongst people my age, but it's six letters long. Don't get me started on some of the ways people have spelt it in the past either :colonhash:
Reply 687
Original post by EmmaJane_
KESHA. I always said k-ee-sha, but apparently it's k-eh-sha.

no, its ke dollar sign ha, didn't you know? (Glee fans will understand or just watch the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4T07xoluE
Reply 688
Faizal , and i've been friends with him for 10 years

opps
Until the films I would call Seamus from Harry Potter 'See-mus' and not 'Shay-mus'.

Also the name Siobhan was 'Sigh-o-ban' to me until about a week ago when I met my new boss at work and someone called her 'Shiv-orn'. I'd heard that name before but never realised the spelling.
Reply 690
The name fergie is pronounced fer jee, i just said fer-gie
Used to have problems with Niamh and Saoirse. But then, I'm sure everyone has problems with these names if you read them without having heard them before :rolleyes:

A lot of people mis-pronounce my middle name 'Nicoll'. I myself can't decide whether to pronounce it 'Nick-oll' or 'Nickel', but it's definitely NOT 'Nicole'. :smile:
Original post by EllieJelly96
Until the films I would call Seamus from Harry Potter 'See-mus' and not 'Shay-mus'.

Also the name Siobhan was 'Sigh-o-ban' to me until about a week ago when I met my new boss at work and someone called her 'Shiv-orn'. I'd heard that name before but never realised the spelling.

Nope the 'orn' bit is just someone's accent changing it a bit. The correct pronunciation is shiv-AWN, emphasis on second part.
There's a lot in English placenames that aren't pronounced and that is mind-boggling for me and I'm only from ROI. We pronounce everything! I was dumbfounded when I couldn't get a London taxi driver to recognise Chiswick until I showed him the booking details. Seriously? Why not get rid of the w then!

Also Leicester and Gloucester are problems for me. I kind of get it now but I wouldn't be too confident with them. Before I would have guessed them as being Leh-sester and glow-sester. So many unncessary letters!

English place names can be bad for that, I thought Worcester was pronounced wor-chester for a very long time. And I live in Ruislip, have fun guessing how to pronounce that one :p:

Original post by Skaði
Some people have had trouble with my name in the past. I've been called everything from 'Easter' to 'Star'. To be fair, it's not a common name amongst people my age, but it's six letters long. Don't get me started on some of the ways people have spelt it in the past either :colonhash:

Esther?
My friends called fazil and for like 6 months i called him fah - zil like bra-zil but it is fah-zeel. And then one day he just went " my names fah-zeel" That was embarrasing.
Ah right, thanks. The same fate applies to many Irish names getting lost when the names move abroad I suppose.

Actually, good point well made there.
Reply 696
Delevigne - de-le-veen

penchant - pon-chon :ahee:

<3 x
When I was very young I always used to pronounce Peugeot as Pee-u-gee-ot :colondollar: Did it for years!
Derby.....I always used to pronounce it like it looks not as it's actually said 'Darby' :frown:
Siobhan - I always that it was cee-oh-ban, not she-vaun! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending