The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Pretty sure my pronunciations here are wrong.

Peugeot as per-jo
Porsche as por-shay
renault as re-nolt
Keynes (as in John Maynard Keynes) as key-nees
I used to say Cholmondeley phonetically like Coll-mon-del-lay. Took several years to work it out. Frankly, my pronunciation was much prettier :tongue:

I used to say Arkansas like it was Kansas with an Ar at the start. Actually it's Ark-en-saw
Said Niamh as Ny-amh, not Neeve
Saying Leicester as Lice-ester was embarassing. In my defence, I was about 7 and had never seen it written down
Original post by z0tx
Dvořák

Yes, I was all over the place on this one. Emphasising the D and completely omitting the soft J sound.

Furthermore, it took me a while to get my head round Siobhan and when I was a very little boy I used to think that that the Grand Prix was the Gordon Prix.
Reply 763
Siobhan. I still to this day don't know how it's pronounced
Reply 764
Meadabh is apparently pronounced as May-ve. :s-smilie:

Still used to call her meh-dah-bah
Reply 765
I thought Rys was pronounced 'Ryhs' not Reece.
Reply 766
Lingerie

Didnt know it was french, said it as lin-ger-ree
Original post by Danf159
Pretty sure my pronunciations here are wrong.

Peugeot as per-jo
Porsche as por-shay
renault as re-nolt
Keynes (as in John Maynard Keynes) as key-nees

I say Peugeot similarly to you, but I say Porsche like 'Porsh' or how a posh person would say posh :tongue:.

I say Renault like Ren no.

Keynes (as in John Maynard Keynes) I thought was pronounced as 'Keens' like the place Milton Keynes, but I looked it up and a lot of people pronounce it 'Canes'.
Seamus. Always thought it was "See-Muss". Turns out there's a magical invisible "H". Mind. Blown.
Original post by Tackla
Lingerie

Didnt know it was french, said it as lin-ger-ree

same, literally until I was about 13
Also, Sinead. As in Sinead O'Connor. I actually still don't know how to pronouce that. Is it "Shin-eyd" or "Sine-ade" or "Sine-ed" or what?!
Reply 771
Phytophthora. I studied it for 2 months before I finally figured it out! Got to love microbiology.
Original post by sammy-lou
Also, Sinead. As in Sinead O'Connor. I actually still don't know how to pronouce that. Is it "Shin-eyd" or "Sine-ade" or "Sine-ed" or what?!

shin-ade :smile:
Original post by EllieJelly96
Aren't they exactly the same, just different spelling?

That would depend on your accent, for me they are very different.
I struggle with Niamh too
and thought Aoife was "I-o-fee"..apparently it is pronounced "ee-fa"

Also, Warwick as war-wick instead of war-ick
(edited 11 years ago)
Daniel appears to present many people with problems.... It's not 'Dan-ee-aww' ....

'Dan-yul' will suffice :smile:
Original post by seanfromtheblock
shin-ade :smile:

You've just rectified years of misery and confusion - thank you!
Original post by AK0001
Meadabh is apparently pronounced as May-ve. :s-smilie:

Still used to call her meh-dah-bah

Yes, it's in Irish, that's why. It's spelled either Maeve, Meadbh or Meadhbh. Either way the ea/ae makes an ay sound in Irish, and 'bh' makes a v sound. We don't do v's- the first spelling is anglicised. You'll see this in Siobhán and Niamh too, 'mh' is another substitute for v. The 'd' is not pronounced, it just makes it go together really.
Original post by Hester_23
Siobhan. I still to this day don't know how it's pronounced

Siobhán- Shiv-awn or shuv-awn, depending on accent. io makes an 'uh' soung, bh is a substitite for v which does not exist in Irish, and á is an aww sound.
Original post by Rupi
How about Saoirse? I used to think it was pronounced how it was spelt, until somebody told me I was being a complete idiot and that it is pronounced seu-sha.:wink:e

It's pronounced seer-sha, but since that's a bit difficult it does become see-ur-sha, but the r should always be there. It means freedom and was very popular when Ireland was fighting for independence. Not very common now. The 'aoi' makes an ee sound and 'se' in this instance makes a 'sha' sound.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending