The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* at A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coolcat2727
How is that possible?

Because what you need for an A* is an A overall, plus 90%+ UMS in your A2 modules.
90% average in A2 modules and an 80% average overall.
I dunno I still dont think that is possible.... that only happens if the majority dont do well in the test.

I think some subjects are 200 UMS AS and 400 UMS A2.
Original post by thesilvermagnolia

Not too sure myself.....

I dont know about history, but the sciences are marked out of 300 for AS and 300 A2, so if you got for e.g 180 in AS, which is 60%=straight on C. And then full marks in A2 then you get an A*. As your total=480 which is in total an A and you got over 90% in A2. And these are the only 2 conditions for an A*.
Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I dunno I still dont think that is possible.... that only happens if the majority dont do well in the test.

Well, that's what he got at A Level. So it is definitely possible. I think he worked out that he got the 1 mark needed for an A* or something in one of his A2 History papers, and if he got that mark in an AS paper, or coursework etc, then he would have gotten an A/B.
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
I think some subjects are 200 UMS AS and 400 UMS A2.

ohh kk that explains it lool
I thought someone would've picked up on this already, but for Mathematics, you need to average 90% in Core 3 and 4. You don't need to average 90% over the three modules you sit in your second year.

Basically, 80% all together, then average 90% in Core 3 and 4 = A*.

So;

Core 1 - 70 UMS
Core 2 - 70 UMS
Statistics 1 - 80UMS
Mechanics 1 - 80 UMS
Core 3 - 90 UMS
Core 4 - 90 UMS

= A* (480 UMS).

However;

Core 1 - 100 UMS
Core 2 - 100 UMS
Statistics 1 - 100 UMS
Mechanics 1 - 100 UMS
Core 3 - 100 UMS
Core 4 - 78 UMS

= no A*. (578 UMS)
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Well, that's what he got at A Level. So it is definitely possible. I think he worked out that he got the 1 mark needed for an A* or something in one of his A2 History papers, and if he got that mark in an AS paper, or coursework etc, then he would have gotten an A/B.

it makes sense if the ums marks for history are more compared to other subjects...:smile:
Original post by Sagacious
I thought someone would've picked up on this already, but for Mathematics, you need to average 90% in Core 3 and 4. You don't need to average 90% over the three modules you sit in your second year.

So;

Core 1 - 70 UMS
Core 2 - 70 UMS
Statistics 1 - 80UMS
Mechanics 1 - 80 UMS
Core 3 - 90 UMS
Core 4 - 90 UMS

= A* (480 UMS).

However;

Core 1 - 100 UMS
Core 2 - 100 UMS
Statistics 1 - 100 UMS
Mechanics 1 - 100 UMS
Core 3 - 100 UMS
Core 4 - 78 UMS

= no A*. (578 UMS)

But thats not fair...:mad: you should surely get an a* for 578 ums points.. but then i suppose core 4 is the hardest...:confused:
it makes sense if the ums marks for history are more compared to other subjects...:smile:

Yeah. :smile: I don't do History, so I have no idea what the UMS marks are. :L But yeah :smile: He was definitley shocked when he got his results anyhow :L
Yeah... thats not true. My brother got a C in AS History, and got an A* overall :wink:

How is that possible?

Not too sure myself.....

I'm assuming he did resits

Yeah. :smile: I don't do History, so I have no idea what the UMS marks are. :L But yeah :smile: He was definitley shocked when he got his results anyhow :L

UMS are the same for all subjects. Hence the 'uniform'. 80/100 / 80% for A 70 for B 60 for C etc etc
(edited 12 years ago)

So;

Core 1 - 70 UMS
Core 2 - 70 UMS
Statistics 1 - 80UMS
Mechanics 1 - 80 UMS
Core 3 - 90 UMS
Core 4 - 90 UMS

= A* (480 UMS).

However;

Core 1 - 100 UMS
Core 2 - 100 UMS
Statistics 1 - 100 UMS
Mechanics 1 - 100 UMS
Core 3 - 100 UMS
Core 4 - 78 UMS

= no A*. (578 UMS)

Correct, this is because Core 3 and Core 4 are both A2 units, however your 2nd applied module could be either A2 or AS, in order to not favour/penalise people who take an A2 module (eg study C1-4 S1-2) the applied modules do not count towards A* credits.

I forget how it's done in further maths, I think it's your best 2 A2 modules.

Neither do i .... But he got his a*...lol
Original post by rugbyladosc
I'm assuming he did resits

UMS are the same for all subjects. Hence the 'uniform'. 80/100 / 80% for A 70 for B 60 for C etc etc

I thought she said he didnt do any resits... but i think the uniform marks are higher in history
It's flipping hard, they will always bring up questions that you won't expect but you are expected to get them right.
I thought she said he didnt do any resits... but i think the uniform marks are higher in history

No I he didn't do any resits I think. AS modules I think are more about predicted grades for Uni, as well as obviously getting as much as possible to help with the A2 modules. But the A2 modules are definitely are what count more towards the A*, ASs have no contribution to A* grades, only predictions for them.
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
Correct, this is because Core 3 and Core 4 are both A2 units, however your 2nd applied module could be either A2 or AS, in order to not favour/penalise people who take an A2 module (eg study C1-4 S1-2) the applied modules do not count towards A* credits.

I forget how it's done in further maths, I think it's your best 2 A2 modules.

Yes, therefore some may say that achieving an A* in Maths is easier because of this.

My maths teacher told me that for me to achieve an A* in Further Maths, I must score an average of 90 over my three best A2 modules (FP2/S2/M2/FP3).

But thats not fair...:mad: you should surely get an a* for 578 ums points.. but then i suppose core 4 is the hardest...:confused:

Yeah, that's what some people complain about. However, in reality, not many people get 70 UMS in C1 and C2, then 90 in C3 and C4. Maths is very sequential, therefore if one doesn't understand the basics, it's unlikely one will master the complexities (C3 and C4). The only way I can think this is possible, is if one lacked effort when studying C1 and C2, then one worked like a dog in C3 and C4...
No I he didn't do any resits I think. AS modules I think are more about predicted grades for Uni, as well as obviously getting as much as possible to help with the A2 modules. But the A2 modules are definitely are what count more towards the A*, ASs have no contribution to A* grades, only predictions for them.

yeah... they predict you from gcse in as and then in a2 they predict you from as results..
Yes, therefore some may say that achieving an A* in Maths is easier because of this.

My maths teacher told me that for me to achieve an A* in Further Maths, I must score an average of 90 over my three best A2 modules (FP2/S2/M2/FP3).

Yeah, that's what some people complain about. However, in reality, not many people get 70 UMS in C1 and C2, then 90 in C3 and C4. Maths is very sequential, therefore if one doesn't understand the basics, it's unlikely one will master the complexities (C3 and C4). The only way I can think this is possible, is if one lacked effort when studying C1 and C2, then one worked like a dog in C3 and C4...

I dont do maths... i do pure stats...:frown: that is really hard... but im not sure how the grading for that really works... It might just be the same for maths...:confused:
Thats just awful though if you accidently muck up one test and get a lower output...
Reply 39
Past papers, past papers aaaand past papers. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending