The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick 2012 POSTGRADUATE Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Grt I think I have found the point, according to this link: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/apply/11/allocation11

the problem is if you have been a postgrad student at warwick:
"Students who have been a postgraduate student at the University of Warwick in a previous academic year, are not eligible to live on campus."

I should be able to ask for a room on campus :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hey all!

Just accepted my offer for the Msc information systems management & innovation course!
Reply 82
Original post by Rivi
Grt I think I have found the point, according to this link: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/apply/11/allocation11

the problem is if you have been a postgrad student at warwick:
"Students who have been a postgraduate student at the University of Warwick in a previous academic year, are not eligible to live on campus."

Yes, this is the one. I just don't think it makes much sense when compared to the other regulations. Oh well...
Reply 83
Original post by grt
Yes, this is the one. I just don't think it makes much sense when compared to the other regulations. Oh well...

I don't know the english regulations very well but I agree with you, it's a bit weird (mostly because you've never lived on campus at warwick 0_o).

Unfortunately I'm not in the board of the university to help you getting a room, all I can offer is my sympathy :smile:
Reply 84
http://www.warwicksu.com/forums/forumlist/1/ it might be useful to check out this if you want to get accommodation sorted out now - lots of people looking for housemates next year:smile:
Reply 85
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1970103&highlight=non-london-based

We have an interesting poll about which is the best university!
Since we/you are prospective Warwick students you should have a look.
Original post by grt
Well, this depends on what kind of career you're going for.

Finance (F) seems to be more geared towards traditional banking roles like IB,but also corporate finance etc. Accounting & Finance (AF) should be a little less finance-sector focused but might open some doors at companies who would not be too interested in F grads.

Obviously, this is only a very general observation. Think about what course you studied before and how this could best be complemented for the job you want to go for afterwards. It's the same school, both courses share modules and hence it will not make a huge difference (there are more F than AF students btw). Still, some people consider the degree title being very important (just think about the endless BA vs BSc discussions).

Thanks for the reply... I didn't receive any notification for the reply for some odd reason. I guess I totally agree with what you're saying but I was wondering about keeping options open. I ended up accepting the offer from MSc Finance hehe

Cheers :smile:
Original post by Rivi
They are focused in topics slightly different but I do not think an employer would care much about the name of your master degree. In my opinion the real question is: which one of them would you give the best preparation for the interview?

The answer probably is both :smile:

Funny enough... one of the lecturers from my university told me I should have accepted MSc A&F after I had already accepted MSc F... he told me apparently I had less chances at the big 4 KPMG, EY, PXC, Deloitte with F. I showed him the course contents and how similar both A&F and F were. Regardless of that, he chose to stick to his opinion saying that the title of the course matters (which felt odd to me because they're pretty much the same except 1-2 courses i think - which can be made up for through electives anyway!)

I don't really want to limit myself to anything just yet and prefer keeping options open. Do you have any clue regarding the extent to which he might be right?
Reply 88
Original post by cheese_cake
Regardless of that, he chose to stick to his opinion saying that the title of the course matters (which felt odd to me because they're pretty much the same except 1-2 courses i think - which can be made up for through electives anyway!)

I don't really want to limit myself to anything just yet and prefer keeping options open. Do you have any clue regarding the extent to which he might be right?

A professor of mine ( who works in Carige - an italian bank - ) told me they rarely look at the title of the master, it's more common to look at the school's name on your CV (but it's a very quick look). During the interview they want to see what you know and they don't care about the title of your master(they don't even ask it).

I don't know how it works in England, but I think to be prepared it's better than to have a beautiful master's name :wink:
Original post by Rivi
A professor of mine ( who works in Carige - an italian bank - ) told me they rarely look at the title of the master, it's more common to look at the school's name on your CV (but it's a very quick look). During the interview they want to see what you know and they don't care about the title of your master(they don't even ask it).

I don't know how it works in England, but I think to be prepared it's better than to have a beautiful master's name :wink:

haha yea your prof makes sense... my friend who's been living in London for about a decade has been telling be it doesnt matter if you're from Harvard or some random uni they haven't heard of... at it matters is your performance at their tests and interviews... all a good university would do is perhaps prepare you and provide the challenging environment to push you further.... but that was just my friend's opinion...

I'm currently in asia and here its a bit different... uni names matter a lot here along with networking & links... in fact i'd say the latter is actually more effective for jobs here... sucks :frown:

btw haven you accepted the offer at Warwick or opting for another uni?
Reply 90
btw haven you accepted the offer at Warwick or opting for another uni?

I haven't accepted yet but I'm going to accept the offer from warwick for Financial Mathematics. I also have an offer from LSE but I think it's better warwick for what concern math and finance... at least the course in warwick seems more challenging to me :biggrin:

We will have one whole year to find a job in the finance sector :smile:
Reply 91
Hi..

I also have got conditional offer for MSc Business Analytics and Consultancy..I am still waiting for UCL..but mostly I would go For Warwick..

I am also exploring accomodation options while I am it.. :smile:
Has anyone here been to the Warwick campus? I was wondering if anyone has a clue where the lectures for the WBS takes place? i mean is it actually in the WBS building? if so then HeronBank and Lakeside seems closest to the lectures and library.
I'm only asking this because I went to CASS, City uni London for undergrad for a while and all our lectures took place in the main university building and NOT the actual CASS building (which is like 20 min walk from there anyway), even though the BSc program was under CASs (quite strange lol).

Also Heronbank and Lakeside mentions "Bath with shower over it"... do they actually have bath tubs with every room??? or is it just a tiny shower cubicle sorta thing like typical london dorms??

If anyone has a clue pls do let me know :smile: Thanks in advance
Original post by Rivi
I haven't accepted yet but I'm going to accept the offer from warwick for Financial Mathematics. I also have an offer from LSE but I think it's better warwick for what concern math and finance... at least the course in warwick seems more challenging to me :biggrin:

We will have one whole year to find a job in the finance sector :smile:

the name of your course is already intimidating me hehe! best of luck choosing between the unis... i'd prolly be confused if I had to choose between WBS and LSE too! :smile:
Reply 94
Guys..

anybody here opting for MSc Business Analytics and Consulting..?
Reply 95
the name of your course is already intimidating me hehe! best of luck choosing between the unis... i'd prolly be confused if I had to choose between WBS and LSE too! :smile:

If you like math it's not so terrible :smile:

It's not an easy choice for me but I think I will a WBS student next year :smile:
I hope to see you on campus in that case :biggrin:
Reply 96
Just confirmed on MSc in Economics and International Financial Economics! Woop
Reply 97

Also Heronbank and Lakeside mentions "Bath with shower over it"... do they actually have bath tubs with every room??? or is it just a tiny shower cubicle sorta thing like typical london dorms??

If anyone has a clue pls do let me know :smile: Thanks in advance

Yes they're all baths with showers over them, all the ensuites are quite spacious
Reply 98
Original post by Spairos
Congratulations for your offer!
What course are you in?

MSc Clinical Applications of Psychology :smile:
Original post by Fionnlagh
Just confirmed on MSc in Economics and International Financial Economics! Woop

Woop woop, I've got a conditional offer for the same course! Where are you doing your bachelor's degree and what kind of offer do you have (if you don't mind me asking)? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending