Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

POLL: Which country do you recommend I go to on my gap year?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Gap Years > POLL: Which country do you recommend I go to on my gap year?
    Malaysia
    25.00%
    Vietnam
    36.61%
    Philippines
    14.29%
    Singapore
    24.11%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have decided that I am definitely going to Thailand first (Chang Mai where I will do some teaching and Krabi to have fun and explore).

I am then contemplating on another country to go to after that. I am choosing between:
    • Malaysia (Borneo - Sabah/Sarawak)
    • Vietnam
    • Philippines (either, Boracay Palawan or Bohol)
    • Singapore.

Please could you vote on the country you think I should go to after Thailand. Please note that I am not doing anything specific (eg I am not teaching, not working at an orphanage or anything like that at the second country).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to Malaysia last year and it's absolutely beautiful! Malaysian Borneo was stunning and you cannot go there without visiting the orang-utans in Sankadan
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singapore is amazing! I love the diversity there.
    You'll love the airport. It's huge. You need trains to go across it. Not to mention the swimming pool.

Be advised don't bring chewing gum there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singapore seems a little small, I mean, it's just a city essentially. If you're working there sure, but to travel you can basically do everything in a week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum828)
    Singapore seems a little small, I mean, it's just a city essentially. If you're working there sure, but to travel you can basically do everything in a week.
    City,Island,Country. Yeah but to fully immerse beyond the tourist mirage you have to spend at least a few months there. They have citites and towns like Little India and Little China, nice place.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omida)
    City,Island,Country. Yeah but to fully immerse beyond the tourist mirage you have to spend at least a few months there. They have citites and towns like Little India and Little China, nice place.
    I suppose. Though it's also crazy expensive compared to the others.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How come no one is voting for the Philippines.... it was possibly my favourite out of the 3 (although I really like all of them)!???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ran out of things to do in Singapore in three days. It's a great city, but that's all it is, a city. You could have it as a nice stop over between Thailand and The Phillipines or after Malaysia.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Phillipines is more original imo.

Everyone seems to be for Thailand/vietnam these days and I think phillipines would be a better experience than singapore
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    P.S, I've never met anyone who's been to The Philippines and hasn't loved it.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singapore is probably too urban. Malaysia sounds like the best choice to me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singapore is quite small and also very expensive.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singapore seems like the best option out of those.

why not include other places such as Hong Kong, Seoul or Tokyo?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would certainly go to Vietnam. It's my dream country!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dude, it's a gap year. Visit all four. Or you could do the whole of south-east Asia! Enjoy!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is a really tough call. They are all good but Singapore is definitely the worst for a gap year (the culture is similar to western countries)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who went to the Philippines on a gap year and never came home because she liked it so much. She's been there for three years, working at a children's home.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat91s)
    I have a friend who went to the Philippines on a gap year and never came home because she liked it so much. She's been there for three years, working at a children's home.
    Sorry to kind of steal this thread but I am wondering where abouts in the Philippines she went...?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Vietnam- You weren't there man!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopsin rapper)
    Sorry to kind of steal this thread but I am wondering where abouts in the Philippines she went...?
    Zambales.

But I don't know much more about it, sorry. ><

Another friend of mine is going travelling in the Philippines next month so it seems there is at least a lot to see there!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.