Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm also sitting this exam. Anyone know where I can find the Jan 2009 mark scheme?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys revising for this exam? I've kinda memorised all the cue cards I made, but I suck at exam qu's!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetascandy)
    How are you guys revising for this exam? I've kinda memorised all the cue cards I made, but I suck at exam qu's!
    Have you used up all the past papers of current spec?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukeboxing)
    Have you used up all the past papers of current spec?
    No, I haven't. I've been doing other past exam questions and I just find them really difficult. I've tried actual past papers and have found that I can do all the mathsy questions, but I get stuck on the wordy theory ones. :s
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread seriously needs livening up.... Where is everyone?

Also, what resources are you guys using once you've done the 2010 and 11 papers?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread seriously needs livening up.... Where is everyone?

Also, what resources are you guys using once you've done the 2010 and 11 papers?
    Haha, it'll liven up within a couple of weeks probably... not many people will be worrying about this yet

I'm using the Cambridge official textbook and working through all the end of chapter questions once I've done the 2010/11 and specimen papers
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm using the cambridge book as well... will start past papers tomorrow
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can some one help me with a question please: Question 7b http://www.drewett-gray.co.uk/alevel...ffe_04_Jun.pdf. I've looked at the mark scheme but still don't really understand Any help is much appreciated!
    NOTE: Half of this question paper is irrelevant for us (the questions on fields).

ALSO, I know this is just a one marker, but I would appreciate help on 4c part (ii) http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/papers...4_2003_jun.pdf
    Thankyouu
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can some one help me with a question please: Question 7b http://www.drewett-gray.co.uk/alevel...ffe_04_Jun.pdf. I've looked at the mark scheme but still don't really understand Any help is much appreciated!
    NOTE: Half of this question paper is irrelevant for us (the questions on fields).

ALSO, I know this is just a one marker, but I would appreciate help on 4c part (ii) http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/papers...4_2003_jun.pdf
    Thankyouu
    4cii has something to do with the way that the amplitude increases vastly when a system is oscillated at its natural frequency - if I had to say I'd mark just under the peak with the frequency for the earlier question but I'm not entirely sure?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    I've got 50 students taking it.
    Hey remember you from last summers exam , anything you think may come up, any predictions?
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its a pretty predictable paper to be honest - just look at the last few papers and you'll see the patterns.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its a pretty predictable paper to be honest - just look at the last few papers and you'll see the patterns.
    and what are the patterns?
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Er - some examiners/teachers have recently been suspended for disucssing this in public so I cant go into any details!.

There are only a few topics on this module and there is always a question on

collisions / impulse / F- dp/dt
    circular motion / gravitation
    E = mcdT
    SHM / max velocity
    Gas Laws / PV = nRT

Thats 5/6 of the questions on the paper!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Er - some examiners/teachers have recently been suspended for disucssing this in public so I cant go into any details!.

E = mcdT
    SHM / max velocity
    Gas Laws / PV = nRT

You've given us 5/6 you predict will be on the paper, what is the last 1/6?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

E = mcdT
    SHM / max velocity
    Gas Laws / PV = nRT

"cough PM cough PM!!!!!". They dont moniter this.... .Thats quite vague i mean thats the main topics of the syllabus?

Ive done all the past papers got high B mid B and a high C. I dont know what to do now though. :/ any advice?

Thanks anyway.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralphus J)
    "cough PM cough PM!!!!!". They dont moniter this.... .Thats quite vague i mean thats the main topics of the syllabus?

Ive done all the past papers got high B mid B and a high C. I dont know what to do now though. :/ any advice?

Thanks anyway.
    Do the end of chapter questions in the Cambridge textbook, if you have it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Do the end of chapter questions in the Cambridge textbook, if you have it?
    thanks bro but i have done them.

Im really bad at 2 specific things:

Anything to do with molar mass, number of moles and Avagadros (i haven't done chemistry and i hate this).

Questions involving E directly proportional to T
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its good to know what youre not so good at!

The energy prop to T comes up in various forms. KE/ mean square velocity / root mean square velocity
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralphus J)

Thanks anyway.
    Sorry - thats as far as i am prepared to go!

Check out the mark schemes and examiners reports. There is an art in scoring marks on questions that you cant do. The object is to make sure you get at least 50% on every question including those you cant do. The mark schemes show you that you can score marks just by writing down basic physics related to the question even if you dont know what to do!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really wish there were more past papers for this. Unlike the AS level modules there doesn't seem to be any legacy modules that correspond to it. Like with mechanics last year the papers they had before were virtually the same stuff but this is different.
    All the past papers I've done have been all over the place. I've had a B, a D and an A (in that order!) in the 3 papers I've done so far. The grade I'll get will really depend on exactly what comes up and how harsh the boundaries are >_<

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.