Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Sociology offer holders 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the thread we've set up for those who have applied via UCAS and received an offer of a place on an Sociology degree at City University London.

Please use this thread to introduce yourselves to your (potential) future classmates, and to discuss any topical issues you think are interesting relating to sociology, media, crime and criminal justice.

Also feel free to ask us questions about studying Sociology at City. (Remember you can also contact us by emailing socsciug@city.ac.uk.)

Please note that the university is closed from Saturday 24 December 2011 – Monday 2 January 2012 inclusive. We’ll try to check this thread from time to time during the holidays, but it may take longer for us to respond than usual.

Enjoy this thread, and we look forward to meeting you!

(PS. if you're thinking of applying to study Sociology at City and have a question to ask, please either contact us directly via our profile, start a thread, or send us an email. We'll be happy to talk to you, and hopefully we'll see you on this thread a little further down the line...!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for this course and my condition is 340 ucas points, are there a lot of international students in city?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikraaam)
    I have an offer for this course and my condition is 340 ucas points, are there a lot of international students in city?
    Hi ikraaam,

Thanks for posting on this thread. In reply to your question - yes, across the whole university there are students from around 160 countries.

And within the Sociology Department, students from 45 countries are currently taking a Sociology undergraduate degree.

There are a whole range of student societies within our Students Union that reflect this international diversity - check them out here.

Best wishes (and we're sorry it took so long for us to reply).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeannot)
    I just received the newsletter. Many thanks for that! The informations you provided are very useful for me.

I really want to try out elaborating the sample essay question, but regarding this I have two questions:

- Is there a opportunity that someone could read the essay and give a feedback?

- Could you provide a sample essay that I could get an idea of what the essay should look like? That could be very useful for me.

Many thanks!
    Jeannot
    Hi Jeannot,

Welcome to this thread! I'm glad you found the newsletter useful.

Regarding the essay question - yes, we're happy to post a sample essay here, but we'd like you to have a think about it first, and maybe discuss some of your ideas here! We'll post the sample essay on Friday afternoon to give you a few days to have a think.

We'll also try to find one of our Sociology lecturers to read through anything you write. Bear in mind that giving you an essay question is designed to get you thinking about how to approach this kind of assignment, and to familiarise you with some of the concepts involved. So please don't feel you have to write 2,000 words (unless you really want to!)

Best wishes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    - Could you provide a sample essay that I could get an idea of what the essay should look like? That could be very useful for me.

Many thanks!
    Jeannot
    Hi Jeannot (and everyone else),

As promised, here's one of the best essays we received last term for the Understanding the Modern World module.

Read the essay now (PDF)

I hope it gives you a good idea of what a typical first-year Sociology essay might look like.

Best wishes, and happy weekend everyone
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have finished my sample essay, so I attached it here for everyone to read.

Furthermore I would like to ask Cityunilondon to give me a little feedback on it. I did my very best but I think there are still a lot of grammatical mistakes in it, so I am sorry for that. But I hope that I will be able to improve my writing skills through a little feedback from you.

The german reunification and its influence on the modern german society
    by Jeannot Freitag

Word count: 964

That's a great effort - well done! We'll ask one of the Sociology lecturers to take a look and give you some proper feedback as soon as possible.

In the meantime, do others on this thread have any comments?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have finished my sample essay, so I have pasted it below for everyone to read.

Furthermore I would like to ask Cityunilondon to give a little feedback on it.

The german reunification and its influence on the modern german society
    by Jeannot Freitag
    Hi Jeannot,

One of the Sociology lecturers, Dr Simon Susen, has looked at your essay, and wrote the following comments. I hope they're useful. (We're all very impressed with your attempt.)

Dr Susen says: "This is a good essay! Thanks for sharing this with us. A few comments:

It's not quite right to suggest that "the fall of the Berlin wall has led to a demise of east German economy and social structures". How about the impact of the recent and on-going global economic crisis? Besides, compared to other European countries, Germany is still doing pretty well.

Of course it is true that "some east German people did not want a reunification". In fact, some characterised German reunification as a form of (territorial and systemic) annexation. Yet, it is far from clear whether or not the GDR could have been "kept alive" or "reformed", as it appeared to have lost all legitimacy.

In 1990, the German political left (in particular the SPD, the Green Party, and the PDS, etc.) were already very critical of Kohl’s promised "blooming landscapes". It is difficult to deny, however, that East Germany, despite all its serious social and economic problems, has been substantially transformed since 1990.

I'm not sure if I buy into the "divided in their heads" rhetoric. In Germany, this is not just a matter of East vs. West, but also a matter of North vs. South…not to talk about all the other (economic, cultural, political, religious) divisions in German society."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi,i received an offer for media studies and sociology..i'd like to know how many hours a week i'd have to spend on the course in total(lectures+homework+tutorial s)? i'd have to find a job so i would need time
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elvis L)
    hi,i received an offer for media studies and sociology..i'd like to know how many hours a week i'd have to spend on the course in total(lectures+homework+tutorial s)? i'd have to find a job so i would need time
    Hi - thanks very much for your question.

We've asked the Sociology admissions officer, and he has given us the following information:

"Students are expected to have a minimum contact of 8 hours per week in lectures and seminars but can have up to 21 hours of contact per week. Students are recommended to spend an additional 44 hours of independent study per week - those students who do spend 44 hours per week on independent study are be expected to achieve a high first.

These hours are only a guide and based on a student studying for 24 weeks, do not take into account the holiday breaks (Christmas, Easter, and Summer), and do include study weeks (1 per term)."

We hope this is helpful. Do let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi City,
    I received an unconditional offer for criminology and sociology course ( what, by the way, made me the happiest person in the world!) and I'd like to know, on average, how many people are accepted on this course, because I have no idea what to expect. And if that's not a problem, how many hours of lectures a criminology&sociology student attends a week?
    Warm regards,
    Aylin

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.