The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Journalism offer holders 2012

Scroll to see replies

I went to the applicant day on the 22nd February. Looking impressive, the facilities were top notch (you should see the TV news room, its even got an audience theatre :biggrin:) and the tutors seemed pretty down to earth and easy to get on with.

The stuff these students get up to looks brilliant; about 4 days a week, they have to find a local news story, film it, edit it and present it for a 5pm mock show. Demanding, but in a fun way!

As a man, I naturally got lost about ten times before actually finding the uni, so I got to have a browse around Islington first. Seems to cover all bases; pubs, cinema, comedy club, food shops, clothes shops, more pubs and a church (if you're into that sort of thing.) And Angel station was only up the road, so the location's pretty convinient.

You can tell why its one oft he top unis for Journalism in the country, it really did impress above others Ive visited.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
I have an unconditional offer for this university.

However, I also have 4 other unconditional offers. ("Whoop go me!" vs. "which to choose?!")

I've only been to this university's open day so far. The broadcast room/radio etc were very state-of-the-art and impressive...however I felt the building itself and the student union seemed a bit "lacking".

Hopefully, I'll be able to look at some of the other universities within the next month and see which appeals to me most.

City's reputation does seem to precede itself, which is possibly why I felt a little let down by the building and lack of student activity.

I'm also worried about the recent upheaval in media. Most have either merged into one or have moved up north.

I just want to know if there are any others sat on the fence and if so why? Also, if there are any die hard City fans, why are you so adamant to go? (Help me make up my mind!)
Hey, was just wondering if anyone else is deferring their entry place until next year? Or has anyone recently come back from a gap year. :smile:
hii everyonee :smile: does any one know if its possible to defer entry for a term and not an entire year? so like join in the spring term instead of the fall..? :smile:
Reply 44
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew what options/modules (I'm not sure of the english word, ugh) can we take in first year? I know that we can study a foreign language and I'll do it, but is there any history course? I don't want to drop this subject next year, but I didn't see anything about the possibility to study it (except history of journalism of course)... Thanks! :smile:
Hi all,

There are a few questions and comments here, so we'll try to answer each of them...

isabellabrookes, you mentioned that most of the media have either merged into one or have moved up north. While it's quite significant that the BBC have moved some sections to 'Media City' in Salford, we believe that London is still the place to be for a journalism student. Check out our Google Map that shows where City Uni is in relation to some major media organisations.

sanika.karnik, you asked if it's possible to defer entry for a term. The answer is, sadly not. You can of course defer for a full year and start in September 2013..

Mrnnchgnn, you asked about first year options. For BA Journalism (single honours) students, the only choice you make in the first year is which language to study. From the second year onwards you'll have lots more options. For BA Journalism and Social Science students, there are a few more choices available in the first year, and those should be spelled out on our website.

Hope this is helpful! Do keep your questions coming. :smile:
Hi everyone,

We're trying not to post on here too often, but there are a couple of events at City that you're very welcome to come along to. Do join us if you can, and feel free to bring a friend. Just book yourself a place by following the links below.

On Wednesday, 21 March, Jon Snow (Channel 4 News) and Jeremy Bowen (BBC News) will join City's Zahera Harb for a discussion about media coverage of the Arab Revolts last year.

The following Monday, 26 March, an expert panel will discuss the lessons to be learned from the phone hacking scandal and the ongoing Leveson Inquiry. Panelists include the Editor of The Independent, ex-News of the World reporter Neville Thurlbeck, and phone-hacking victim Mary-Ellen Field.

Hope to see you here!
Hey guys,

I received my conditional offer last December but I never checked in here to say hello and stuff like that. lol

I'm from Malaysia and I'm definitely excited to get in. I got the offer for the Journalism P500 course but now I'm desperately waiting for a response to my plea for a change in course to Journalism and Economics LP15. (I just HAD to be the idiot who didn't make a proper decision when applying last July) Wish me luck!

Good luck for the upcoming A-Levels :smile:

- Suria Hani
I want tickets to the event! :smile:
Reply 49
I'd like tickets.
I want to be a journalist because...
...Everyday is different, there's a buzz and there's responsibility to get the news to the people who care and I for one do care!
Reply 50
Id like to be a journalist because everyday would be a new experience and a different adventure. I hope to one day share the news that matters.
I want to become a journalist because I have a drive and passion for the media, society and current affairs.

Annie
I want to be a journalist because it provides a gateway to the study of the human experience through a continuous stream of case-studies.
Reply 53
I would like to be a journalist in order to be some kind of historian, seeker, traveller , people's eyes, ears and voice.
i would like tickets to the event! I want to be a journalist as i have a love of writing and would love a career which gave me the opportunity for travel.
Reply 55
~I would like one of the tickets, and can come to City next Wednesday~

Hi all, can't wait to start the Journalism course

Why do you want to be a journalist? [In less than 25 word-Shanique]

To use the art of word play, to express a story which engages an audience, creates opinions and sets a ripple effect of further stories.:colondollar:

#Fingers crossed for Journalism Masterclass, Good Luck All.

Shanique x
(edited 11 years ago)
I want to be a journalist because I believe that the media industry offers a wide variation of opportunities upon which I could build a lifetime career.

I'd be grateful to be granted one of those tickets for the conference.
Thank you for this opportunity!
hi everyone! i couldn't find a good outlet for all the students joining City this fall to interact, so i've created a group on Facebook! If all of you join it would be a much better way for all of us to get to know each other! :smile: the group is called City University London Freshmen 2012 :smile: also if any of you know any one joining City please ask them to join too! :biggrin:
this is the link for the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/281896888562817/ :smile:
I would like tickets to the event on the 25th of April because:

I want to be a journalist because: I have always been passionate about art and writing and Journalism naturally combines the two and delivers it to the masses.

Charlotte Payne - City of University Applicant and Offer Holder.

Quick Reply