The Student Room Group

Primary Education 2012 Scotland

Scroll to see replies

Hi can anyone help! looking to do primary teaching in 2013, I am in 6th year doing 4 highers predicted grades BBCC just found out last week and have already acheived 2 higher at B AND C in 5th year, and a A level at D....is there any chance for me to get in to do primary teaching, most courses expect to have higher english B, I may just scrape for a C...in english, I have applied for striling, uws, edinburgh, glasgow and one another, I have not applied for strathclyde thinking might not acheive the grades as they are looking for AAABB for 2nd sitting...so confused, I do have experience working with children, have been doing voluntry work since august 2011 every sunday at faith school assiting children in learning language and help every friday for an hour at my local primary school in the class room p2/3 children. Is this enough for me to apply for Primary teaching...My personal statement is all about my experirence with children.....thanks
I am not sure your grades will be high enough, sometimes a C in English is ok if you have an A in higher maths. It is very competitive.

Maybe apply for 3 and have a back up as your other 2 choices as you can always apply for a post grad on completion of your degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Grant2007
I am not sure your grades will be high enough, sometimes a C in English is ok if you have an A in higher maths. It is very competitive.

Maybe apply for 3 and have a back up as your other 2 choices as you can always apply for a post grad on completion of your degree.

Everyone in my year had at least a B from maths. I think it's a strictly kept minimum requirement at least in Strathclyde. It would make a difference though if you were a mature student and done a college course.
Original post by FinnLassie
Everyone in my year had at least a B from maths. I think it's a strictly kept minimum requirement at least in Strathclyde. It would make a difference though if you were a mature student and done a college course.

I received an offer for Strathclyde with a C in english as I had an A in maths. I also had an A in modern studies which may have helped as it is an essay type subject. That was a few years ago now though!
I received an offer for Strathclyde with a C in english as I had an A in maths. I also had an A in modern studies which may have helped as it is an essay type subject. That was a few years ago now though!

Yeah, our tutors and lecturers have told us that the entry requirements have gone up rapidly over the past few years and as the course is now completely changing, they're at their highest. I've heard only a very few amount of people having Cs this year, most having 3 to 5 As (and possibly one B) and one C, if had a C coming straight from school.
(edited 11 years ago)
I achieved 4 A, 1 B and 1 c and had an unconditional to Edinburgh and Jordanhill
(edited 11 years ago)
I achieved 4 A, 1 B and 1 c and had an unconditional to Edinburgh and Jordanian.

Kinda funny how Jordanhill is no more, after to my knowledge being the first teacher college in Scotland. But it's good having everything in one campus, the new resource centre is amazing at Strathclyde.
I may have chosen Strathclyde at the time if it had been in the city centre!
I may have chosen Strathclyde at the time if it had been in the city centre!

There's kinda two sides - some are complaining that we're not in our own happy bubble anymore and some are very positive about the move. I'm quite glad because I'd rather not get up too early, living in halls and all that! Now instead of 40 it takes me 4 minutes to get to lectures.

I only saw Jordanhill but I understand why it's being 'abandoned'... Beautiful outside, super scruffy inside. Plus there's a lot of other changes happening with the buildings in the next 5-10 years.
Original post by aroy45
I'd highly recommend prioritizing Glasgow MA and Dundee due to the fact they now run Masters courses which are much more modern then B.Eds. This is most likely the last year of B.Eds

The Masters is now a 5 year course. At Dundee, you spend a lot of time in schools, and if you study at Edinburgh, you spend your entire 3rd year in schools - why on earth would you spend an entire year in a school when you have a probation year at the end of the degree course?
Original post by Choo.choo
The Masters is now a 5 year course.

Really? I'm doing a Masters (I'm the first year of students to graduate with it in Scotland - Aberdeen has moved their current BEd students onto the Masters program and started all new students on it too) and it's only 4 years :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest