The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LostInStereo
Do the other colleges know which college you were pooled from? :confused:

Yep, they do. They have pretty much all your details - UMS, grades, past school, college applied for, personal statement, and most importantly your marks and notes from your interviewers.

So the chaps fishing people out will know if you've been auto-pooled or placed there by your interviewers.
Original post by oggdeferrer
Pooled by Girton for English - does it genuinely make a difference if you have been pooled from a less competitive college or not? Gahh I don't know if I would have preferred to be rejected - at least then, no more waiting!

Waahhh, exactly what I just said to my Dad!

I think you're more at an advantage if you're pooled from a 'popular' or 'big' college like Trinity, as places like Girton and Newnham tend to make up their numbers from the pool rather than place people in it.
Reply 42
Original post by EyesForEyes
I was also pooled by Clare for Engineering!

well its better than outright rejection :smile:
Original post by floralia
That might be true but I don't think it's always true - just looked at statistics for my subject (history) and last year as many people who applied to newnham got offers from other colleges as those who applied to trinity.

Whatever, I'm just trying to stay positive :tongue:

Where can I find these stats? :smile:

EDIT: Just found them! I'm hoping for Murray Edwards - they gave offers to 99 people through the pool!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
My interview went terribly after thinking about it afterwards, They didnt seem impressed at all.i think im an auto-pooleee
Reply 45
Here - that's if I'm right about what they mean

I clicked my subject (in the statistics for subjects by college bit) and I was looking at the 'Offers by other colleges' thing, which seemed to match up with the 'Offers through the winter pool' bit. It also gives you an idea of which colleges tend to accept a couple of people in the pool and how many successful pool applicants there were for your subject.

Oh right saw you just found them.

ahhh awesome. thanks!

I clicked my subject (in the statistics for subjects by college bit) and I was looking at the 'Offers by other colleges' thing, which seemed to match up with the 'Offers through the winter pool' bit. It also gives you an idea of which colleges tend to accept a couple of people in the pool and how many successful pool applicants there were for your subject.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 47
Pooled for law from Robinson :'( eek...
Reply 48
I've been pooled by Kings for Chem Eng via Eng. Think it will be highly competitive to be honest :/
Reply 49
Pooled for law from Magdalene...

Does offers from other colleges mean applicants that college put into the pool that were fished by other applicants? Cause if so I'm screwed, last year 25 applicants for Christ's PPS, 5 given offers, 1 taken out of the pool :/
Reply 51
Me too. I wonder if that means that if another college is interested they'll be more likely to interview than just give an offer? I swear to god if I have to do another interview I will a) have a nervous breakdown and b) without a doubt be rejected

im with ya there sister!
Reply 52
Good luck everyone, hope you all get fished!

I was so hoping to just know one way or the other today.. I just... Feel so bleh right now.

Not sure whether to be dissapointed or happy that there's still a chance. And I really fell in love with Pembroke... I knew that was a mistake :L
Reply 53
Original post by J.tytler

I was so hoping to just know one way or the other today.. I just... Feel so bleh right now.

Not sure whether to be dissapointed or happy that there's still a chance. And I really fell in love with Pembroke... I knew that was a mistake :L

Me too! My interview was around lunch time so i could smell the food and see the beautiful buildings at the same time which made me calm...and hungry :tongue:
Reply 54
Original post by ghilee
Me too! My interview was around lunch time so i could smell the food and see the beautiful buildings at the same time which made me calm...and hungry :tongue:

Oh well.. Hopefully we'll get fished by Trinity :tongue:

What did you apply for?
Reply 55
ugh cannot concentrate on revision at all atm :/
Reply 56
Does anyone know whether international applicants who have been pooled are less likely to gain an offer?
Pooled from pembroke for natsci
Reply 58
Original post by kurovalte
ugh cannot concentrate on revision at all atm :/

Trust me.. I was hoping an offer would be the motivation I needed.. or a rejection to motivate me to get 3A*s as a **** you.

But this... It's just...

All I've done today is eat and watch TV... And stare at the letter.
Reply 59
Original post by J.tytler

The bleeugh feeling is over here aswell :frown: