The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pooled by Emma for Linguistics :frown: Any other linguists been pooled? There weren't many of us to begin with!
Original post by duckpancakes

If you're college can't offer you a place, but your grades meet a certain criteria, you are automatically guaranteed a place in the pool. I think you need something like 93% UMS average in your AS exams.
Pooled by Downing for NatSci. Still more waiting :frown:

I've probably got less of a chance of an offer now, considering that there are lots of stellar applicants who applied to significantly oversubscribed colleges. I'm also worried that I was auto-pooled due to my UMS, rather than being pooled on the strength of my interviews and test :/
Original post by Tateco
Wow nice :smile:

5A*4A2B GCSE, 96.4% AS levels, A*A*A*a predictions, not hopeful, based on last years data 10% of economics offers were through the pool, significantly less than the ~1/3 average for the university.

Do you know where we can find out how many people were pooled for economics last year?

The table thing is weird as well, so surreal :tongue:

Well i guess they have it online but im just imagining them walking past my file, im like pick me!!

Ah thats not good, where did you find that out? Wouldn't surprise me seen as its so competitive . And not got a clue sorry, the cam stats page just has econ applications and offers, nothing about the pool :/

:smile:
Reply 104
Hi guys fresh new fish from Jesus for PPS. Any international applicants who do not hold IBs or A-levels? From the document, I've noticed that there is no criteria that is set for unconventional (SATs APs) qualifications; so no auto-pooling for us?
Reply 105
Original post by Minerva

Sorry to bother you, is it possible to get information on how many people were pooled for a specific subject last year?
Reply 106
Original post by emily_becca
GCSE's 10A* 1A
AS AAAA
A2 (predictions) A*A*A*
UMS average definitively below 90%

Therefore i know im not in the auto pooling category so im either an A B or S student :smile:

(http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers.pdf) (see page 2)

What about you?

Also from reading that PDF it seems like our files are just on a big table somewhere and DoS's and admissions tutors are just having a look round right now...arghhh!!! I thought it was more a virtual thing?

:colondollar::colondollar:

at least you know you're not a P which is apparently the worst category. I on the other hand am almost certainly a P :/
Reply 107
Original post by emily_becca
Well i guess they have it online but im just imagining them walking past my file, im like pick me!!

Ah thats not good, where did you find that out? Wouldn't surprise me seen as its so competitive . And not got a clue sorry, the cam stats page just has econ applications and offers, nothing about the pool :/

:smile:

Haha yeah I know what you mean, and just from the data based on last years applications :tongue:
Reply 108
what about ib criteria for auto pooling about students that obviously have not yet given the official IB exams. does this criteria whatever that is apply to their predictions?
Reply 109
Original post by soonji13
Hi guys fresh new fish from Jesus for PPS. Any international applicants who do not hold IBs or A-levels? From the document, I've noticed that there is no criteria that is set for unconventional (SATs APs) qualifications; so no auto-pooling for us?

yep! I do it the american system even though I'm living in England... still an international though.

I just guessed that I wasn't autopooled cuz well, its the APs....
Reply 110
pooled by trinity for maths. Hoping for the best..
Original post by Phredd
If you're college can't offer you a place, but your grades meet a certain criteria, you are automatically guaranteed a place in the pool. I think you need something like 93% UMS average in your AS exams.

Now I'm worried. I read on that document that you need over 93% UMS to get into the P category. Everyone's saying P (or auto-pool) is the worst category. Why?! I got over 93%. Does that mean I'm only there because of my UMS and that if my interview notes are rubbish (which they probably are) I won't get a place because I'm only there by default?:afraid:
Reply 112
I've been pooled for English at Clare, and I was just wondering if anyone knew how applicants hear if they've been made an offer by another college? Email/post/phonecall? Keeping my fingers crossed, but not especially hopeful!
Reply 113
Got pooled by Trinity for Maths, and tbh I'm surprised I even got pooled. :smile:
Original post by elljay
I've been pooled for English at Clare, and I was just wondering if anyone knew how applicants hear if they've been made an offer by another college? Email/post/phonecall? Keeping my fingers crossed, but not especially hopeful!

Well if you have been fished, you could get any form of contact (phone calls on Sundays as well)
Original post by duckpancakes
Now I'm worried. I read on that document that you need over 93% UMS to get into the P category. Everyone's saying P (or auto-pool) is the worst category. Why?! I got over 93%. Does that mean I'm only there because of my UMS and that if my interview notes are rubbish (which they probably are) I won't get a place because I'm only there by default?:afraid:

Don't worry about it. see the FAQ in the first post:

I must have been pooled just because I met the ‘auto-pooling’ criteria. Does that mean I have less chance of getting an offer?
No. Some people expend a lot of energy speculating about which Pool category they might be in. This is totally pointless even if you think you know, you are quite likely to be mistaken - your interview may have gone better or worse than you suppose, for example.
Reply 116
People do not overanilyse the data you have, it will not work, just as playing by the stats for choosing colleges doesnt. What happens, happens. No one knows their proper selection process, how much each aspect of the application is value or how you did in your interview. You are just hurting yourselves
Reply 117
I still have yet to receive a letter (UK applicant) but at least Trinity was nice enough to email me this morning to put me out of my misery. I was sat in the middle of my English lit lesson f5-ing my email every few minutes when I found out. I'm quite glad that I found out in the middle of a silent coursework lesson since I had time to mull over it.

I completely expected to be pooled at the least, if not outright rejected. Applying to Trinity with C's at GCSE and B's At AS made it pretty much inevitable but I'm glad that they at least thought that my application was of a high enough standard to merit entry to the university. So in some twisted way I'm actually quite pleased with how this has all turned out.

Good luck to everyone else swimming in the pool!
Reply 118
Thank you Luccy ! If I didn't get a 93% average UMS for my 3 AS level subjects or 7 A* at GCSE, what does that mean for my pooling chances ?
Someone said they call you on you mobile, but my number's changed recently?! (I lost my phone) I'm stressing out now!

Latest

Trending

Trending