The Student Room Group

Mature student trying to get into unviersity

So I've had an mental illness for the past 3 which has hampered my ability to really commit to an undergraduate 3yr course, but I really now just want to try and gain entry into a university however, I really don't have much qualifications... all I have is a btec first (media) and btec national (performing arts) I did about 6 years ago (I'm 24 now) & the final results aren't that impressive, my btec 1st is a pass and my national is a merit.. I wonder if i can realistically get into an institution with these grades, I really want to be at uni for september 2012 and I can't imagine, waiting till 2013 to start.

I'm Interested in cinematography/film studies & media production and all I've really done with it is read a lot of books, so I guess studying - do I have a chance of realistically getting into a decent course or is my only option to wait till september 2012 and take a 1yr access course :s-smilie:

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by Mistersjmcg
So I've had an mental illness for the past 3 which has hampered my ability to really commit to an undergraduate 3yr course, but I really now just want to try and gain entry into a university however, I really don't have much qualifications... all I have is a btec first (media) and btec national (performing arts) I did about 6 years ago (I'm 24 now) & the final results aren't that impressive, my btec 1st is a pass and my national is a merit.. I wonder if i can realistically get into an institution with these grades, I really want to be at uni for september 2012 and I can't imagine, waiting till 2013 to start.

I'm Interested in cinematography/film studies & media production and all I've really done with it is read a lot of books, so I guess studying - do I have a chance of realistically getting into a decent course or is my only option to wait till september 2012 and take a 1yr access course :s-smilie:

Thanks for any help!

I think Mistersjmcg you are going to have to do some research if you not already have done so or even spend some time e-mailing the universities where u hope to apply to if you havnt already done so.I would e-mail some admissions depertments and see if u can get hold of admissions tutors in the near year however you must appreciate that these individuals also teach on these degrees and are busy considering applicants for intake in 2012 so they might not get back to you straightaway
If you cant get hold of them by phone,see if you can find out from someone in admissions their particular e-mail address and e-mail them and ask what would you need to gain or be considered for entry onto their degree courses ie what qualifications would they consider etc.

But i think as you said you might have to possiable consider doing a year long access course because most universities these days want recent study of 5 years not 6 :
I was in the similar postition as yourself Mistersjmcg i hadnt studied for a few years and had to do some research and decided to do a pre-access course last year to get me back into studying again and i am glad i did otherwise i wouldnt have cope with the intensive of the access diploma that i am currently doing

Can i ask you are u wanting to do degree in flim studies or media production?
Reply 2
I'd phone in early Jan tbh. Teaching doesn't start straight away... It's not like they have nothing to do but you're more likely to catch them in the office imo.

Maybe a portfolio of work would help for creative art type courses.
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
I'd phone in early Jan tbh. Teaching doesn't start straight away... It's not like they have nothing to do but you're more likely to catch them in the office imo.

Maybe a portfolio of work would help for creative art type courses.

As in phone the access to HE course? because you feel I still might be able to take one from January ?
Reply 4
Original post by Mistersjmcg
As in phone the access to HE course? because you feel I still might be able to take one from January ?

I was thinking unis... Pretty much what the other guy said except I don't trust email as much as phoning.
The equal consideration deadline on ucas is mid jan iirc so if you get a favorable response you could hit that.

According to the access to he website some access courses start in january... But this will throw you out of sync with the academic year at most unis *and leave you with a long gap between access and starting uni.

*Some unis do january starts but I'm not particularly recommending it, you'll drop into modules full of people who all know each other from sept and all know the uni and it's systems. A lot of the january starters I've seen at my place feel like they've been thrown too far in the deep end, get fed-up and then drop out.
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
I was thinking unis... Pretty much what the other guy said except I don't trust email as much as phoning.
The equal consideration deadline on ucas is mid jan iirc so if you get a favorable response you could hit that.

According to the access to he website some access courses start in january... But this will throw you out of sync with the academic year at most unis *and leave you with a long gap between access and starting uni.

*Some unis do january starts but I'm not particularly recommending it, you'll drop into modules full of people who all know each other from sept and all know the uni and it's systems. A lot of the january starters I've seen at my place feel like they've been thrown too far in the deep end, get fed-up and then drop out.

I also agree join up on what u said about january starts i too have seen new undergraduates starting much later in the academic year and really struggling not just with the workload but just looking lost as by them most undergraduates as you pointed out joined up have already meet and made friends.

Quick Reply

Latest