The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, my friends have been accepted with only 1 A* at GCSE and again no, an A in english at GCSE is not necessary.
Reply 2
I have actually read a statement made from Cambridge who have stated that whilst some successful applicants will have at least 5A*'s at GCSE, there are some who will only have one in the subject they aspire to study at university, coincidently mathematics was used as an example. I've even heard that someone I know got an interview at Cambridge for mathematics with an A at GCSE. A classmate at school actually got a B in GCSE economics and managed to get an interview at Cambridge for Economics as well as offers from other top Russell Group universities.
Reply 3
Thanks, it is just that I knew someone who got about 5 A*s and they didn't even get an interview and I though the B in English is what put their application down.
Reply 4
Original post by Ralphyboy
Thanks, it is just that I knew someone who got about 5 A*s and they didn't even get an interview and I though the B in English is what put their application down.

What did they apply for? And what were there AS results and A2 predicted grades like?
Reply 5
Original post by nerimon18
What did they apply for? And what were there AS results and A2 predicted grades like?

They were predicted 3A s and a B (before the new A* grades) They applied for Medicine. It might have been something to do with their personal statement.
No. My friend has 7A*, 3A and 1B at GCSE and AAAB at AS and she's just got an offer at Oxford for Law.
Reply 7
They were predicted 3A s and a B (before the new A* grades) They applied for Medicine. It might have been something to do with their personal statement.

Maybe, but it could have also been grades as Medicine is probably the most competitive course to get onto. They may have seen the B and thought the A grades were low As (did they give the unis their UMS scores and what were they like?) or they could have not done well in the admissions test (BMAT/UKCAT?). Work experience is also important for Medicine (from what I've heard).
No, you do not.

You don't even need an A* in the subject you want to take. Even if you got a B in maths GCSE, or a C, if you got 90s+ in your A level modules I'd put money* on it not detracting from your application.

*I realise this bet could never actually be resolved.

edit: I've just noticed I answered for cambridge only. I suspect, but don't know, that the same applies at Ox, subject obviously to their not having your UMS scores.

since people are giving personal examples, I got into cambridge law with A*A*AABBBBC at GCSE.

All of the above excludes medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)

Did they apply for oxford?
Original post by TattyBoJangles
No. My friend has 7A*, 3A and 1B at GCSE and AAAB at AS and she's just got an offer at Oxford for Law.

Not the best example to give considering she technically has majority A/A*s.

:rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by StacFace
Maybe, but it could have also been grades as Medicine is probably the most competitive course to get onto. They may have seen the B and thought the A grades were low As (did they give the unis their UMS scores and what were they like?) or they could have not done well in the admissions test (BMAT/UKCAT?). Work experience is also important for Medicine (from what I've heard).

I don't know much more. I think that his grades were good but the other things Oxbridge take into consideration weren't so good.
Original post by Last Chance
Not the best example to give considering she technically has majority A/A*s.

:rolleyes:

This is true, the question was *all* :wink:
My main point, though, was the B at AS, which a fair few people assume means they can't apply.
If it matters at all, my cousin got in to Cambridge to study medicine with only 4/11 As at GCSE.

The minimum entry requirements aren't there just to attract applicants; if getting majority A/A*s was a requirement, wouldn't they have said that you'll get rejected if you don't have them? :smile:
Reply 14
Well then would it depend on other peoples' grades aswell that are applying?
Reply 15
My friend's brother goes to Oxford and I don't think he did well in his GCSEs. Apparently they're more interested in a-levels
I think A-levels are more important, and the reason they have interviews is so they can make an educated decision, not just have some blind formula that applies to everyone.

Also, what kind of school did you go to? Technically they aren't meant to know, but it's usually fairly obvious and they are under a lot of pressure to get 'disadvantaged' students in (although good state schools can be better than some private schools). If you went to a comprehensive they will be far more allowing of Bs and Cs at GCSE. People may not like that, but it is statistically my experience from conversations with friends.

Either way, I think you have a very good chance with As and Bs - just try to ace any entrance tests and give a good interview. Most people applying will be of a very high standard academically, so they are also looking for people they would like to teach. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Octohedral
I think A-levels are more important, and the reason they have interviews is so they can make an educated decision, not just have some blind formula that applies to everyone.

Also, what kind of school did you go to? Technically they aren't meant to know, but it's usually fairly obvious and they are under a lot of pressure to get 'disadvantaged' students in (although good state schools can be better than some private schools). If you went to a comprehensive they will be far more allowing of Bs and Cs at GCSE. People may not like that, but it is statistically my experience from conversations with friends.

Either way, I think you have a very good chance with As and Bs - just try to ace any entrance tests and give a good interview. Most people applying will be of a very high standard academically, so they are also looking for people they would like to teach. :smile:

Well the thing is, I am currently at a state school doing my GCSEs but I took an exam for a private school and got in.
No. Oxford do like to see 70% A/A* at gcse, but you can certainly get in with significantly fewer.
Well the thing is, I am currently at a state school doing my GCSEs but I took an exam for a private school and got in.

Okay, don't set too much store by it then (certainly don't reject the private school because I said that - not that you would, but then I'd feel really bad :redface: ). You'll be fine with As and Bs I'm sure - it's the entrance test and interviews that matter. If you want advice ever PM me - I'm doing Maths. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending