The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by lauren_a
You completely misunderstand the wage gap. It references men and women doing the same jobs so all your nonsense about men doing more risky jobs etc is irrelevant, regardless of whether or not it is true.

You completely misunderstand employment. 2 people can have the same job title, but one can be paid more than the other for various reasons. The gender gap which most refer to is devised by saying there are 'x' amount of people in the private/public sector working, and this is what they earn - so divide the total earnt by the total working and use that figure. It is nothing to do with isolated incidences of gender discrimination. This is why you can see there is a gender pay gap in the NHS - which has set pay grades, because men are more likely to be in higher grades and do longer hours. There is absolutely no way for employers in the NHS to get around this and pay 2 identical staff different salaries, they will just be put in a category and get paid according to the hours they work.
Reply 241
Original post by Emaemmaemily
But a manager's job is totally different to someone working on the till. A man and woman playing tennis are essentially doing exactly the same thing, it's just that the woman (because of the way her body is built) can't play as many sets as him. She put just as much of the SAME work in physically as the man.

Ok then what about a till worker who works 20 hours a week, and a till worker who works 10 hours a week, but stuggles with the job so puts in just as much effot overall as the one who works 20 hours, should they be paid double just because they find the work more difficult?
Reply 242
But a manager's job is totally different to someone working on the till. A man and woman playing tennis are essentially doing exactly the same thing, it's just that the woman (because of the way her body is built) can't play as many sets as him. She put just as much of the SAME work in physically as the man.

That's no justification for Women getting Equal pay to men at Wimbledon, unless they both play the same, why should one get paid more? In my job we need to do heavy lifting from time to time, should females who do this get paid more because it's more of an effort for them to do it?
Reply 243
The thing I think people don't necessarily understand about this is the physical differences between men and women (because most differences between us are physical, rather than intellectual or alike). For a woman to play 3 sets takes about as much physical effort for her as it would for a man to play 5. They have much less physical ability in certain areas, which is why they need to play less.
They still put in the same amount of physical effort and exhaustion, and so should be paid the same as men, in my opinion.

Based on...? And if that was the case, then why would women run exactly the same distances for a marathon, or for any Olympic event? I don't see how a woman playing three sets is the same as a man playing five. Remember that men also generally play a harder and faster game because they're stronger, so that factors in too.
Reply 244

Wait, so now you think people should be paid on the basis of effort rather than output? If men have the physical ability to work (in this case playing tenis) for 1 more hour, and they get paid 100k per hour, then the man should earn more. Women already get to play every sport from darts to gymnastics to weight lifting in your own seperate categories, because you wouldn't get a look in otherwise. Even if you look at viewing figures, women shouldn't be paid the same. Men get more bums on chairs, because they are better at sports, and deserve more pay for that.
Original post by james22
Ok then what about a till worker who works 20 hours a week, and a till worker who works 10 hours a week, but stuggles with the job so puts in just as much effot overall as the one who works 20 hours, should they be paid double just because they find the work more difficult?

We're talking about women being physically unable to do that many sets properly... Not someone "struggling" a little with a till job. It's not the same thing... One thing is entirely to do with our phisiology, and the other isn't at all.

Original post by shephi
That's no justification for Women getting Equal pay to men at Wimbledon, unless they both play the same, why should one get paid more? In my job we need to do heavy lifting from time to time, should females who do this get paid more because it's more of an effort for them to do it?

No. You are not reading what I'm saying. I'm not saying they should get paid more for doing the same as you... I'm saying if (in SPORT, which is entirely different to other jobs) people are pushing their bodies to the very limits, they are doing the same amount of work. They DO as much phyiscal work as the men.
Reply 246
We're talking about women being physically unable to do that many sets properly... Not someone "struggling" a little with a till job. It's not the same thing... One thing is entirely to do with our phisiology, and the other isn't at all.

No. You are not reading what I'm saying. I'm not saying they should get paid more for doing the same as you... I'm saying if (in SPORT, which is entirely different to other jobs) people are pushing their bodies to the very limits, they are doing the same amount of work. They DO as much phyiscal work as the men.

Again i call BS, i doubt the 'Strength/Power/Stamina' ration is to such a point that women only play 60% of a mans.
Ok, I can't answer like 8 people at once, sorry guys.
People aren't actually reading my answers, I'm not saying all jobs should be paid on effort. But I don't actually have time to have the same discussion with several people.
Original post by Elipsis
It appears she isn't slightly interesting in challenging her preconcieved notions, which she has allowed to be unquestioningly poured into her head by the likes of Germaine Greer etc. I believe it is called cognitive dissonance. Feminists, like our ideologically driven brainless friend here, are more than happy to uphold the 'lace curtain' (http://www.menweb.org/lacecur1.htm), which stops them having to hear a dissenting opinion that might fry their squirrel sized brains.

Oh this week I know what a :troll: is, but with a pre-Med student, there is scope for Cognitive Dissonance, & what will happen when she is doing clinicals & patients. Won't want a medics liability insurance to be sky high. :wink:
Can you help me find out about "eight times as much money spent on specific female health issues as on male ones" in my #106. Not sure where funding details collated, its more likely to be hospital Trust based? Thanks.
Original post by lauren_a
You completely misunderstand the wage gap. It references men and women doing the same jobs so all your nonsense about men doing more risky jobs etc is irrelevant, regardless of whether or not it is true.

Give me an example where both men & women doing the same jobs are not paid fairly & there is no court hearing? I am sure wo/men have won against employers.http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/DiscriminationAtWork/DG_10026665

How often is this happening, is there info/stats about it? WHAT jobs is this happening to? Have you seen with own eyes/been discriminated? You're not talking about affirmitive/positive action forcing unsuitable women into quotas are you?

What about innate differences between two individual men? Surely by your logic if they both put in the maximum amount of effort during a game of tennis it shouldn't matter who won with regards to how much the two were paid, because they both pushed their bodies to the very limits.
Reply 251
Original post by rad_student
Oh this week I know what a :troll: is, but with a pre-Med student, there is scope for Cognitive Dissonance, & what will happen when she is doing clinicals & patients. Won't want a medics liability insurance to be sky high. :wink:
Can you help me find out about "eight times as much money spent on specific female health issues as on male ones" in my #106. Not sure where funding details collated, its more likely to be hospital Trust based? Thanks.

The only thing I have found is in relation to government funding in America, which shows that one health institute spends 15x more on female only diseases, and 16.5% at another health body:
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2009/08/governments-cancer-funding-gender-gap.html
Reply 252
I'd like to know why there's a feminism module in my International Relations course, because God knows I'm stumped.
I would consider myself to be a feminist in that men and women should have equal rights and be treated the same by law an society... However, just because women and men shoukld be treated the same does not mean that the two genders are the same. Both genders are different to each other and it would be wrong to compare and classify them in the same way. For example, in a test of strength the average male would beat the average female in an arms wrestling contest. Im not saying thats true for all male and female couplings, but on average it is true, men have evolved to be stronger, its just a fact. On the other hand women can give birth, something that men simply cannot do, we do not compare based on ability to give birth, we treat this ability as separate to each gender.
Feminists should be campaigning for equality in how men and women are treated, not trying to morph them together to make one homogenous gender. I think modern day feminists can become too gynocentric and focus on abusing men to show themselves as equal. An example of this is one of the first sentences about the feminist society on TSR- ''women are more intelligent'' That is not a feminist thing to say, its misandrist, it would be feminist to say that- women have equal intelligence to men. If a man said men are more intelligent than women it would be sexist. To say that women are more intelligent is also sexist. Treat genders the same, thats the point right?
Original post by Parenchyma
Oh please, explain to me how things happen. I need your paternalism or else I am just lost. Talk down to me more, it really helps your point.

After having the misfortune to actually read part of that link, I can happily tell Elipsis that his opinions on abortion access has been bumped to #2 of the stupidest things I've read today.

Some think women are paid less then men on purpose (how about a women only company, women are great to work with), Oh Please!

http://csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm - 218 empirical studies and 64 reviews and/or analyses, which demonstrate that women are as physically aggressive, or more aggressive, than men in their relationships with their spouses or male partners. The aggregate sample size in the reviewed studies exceeds 369,800. This is what Erin Pizzey has been saying for >25 years, heard of her?

Don't wanna shock you but boys & men will be 33%-42% of the abused http://www.mankind.org.uk/pdfs/15%20Key%20Facts%202011_Oct%202011.pdf see NSPCC for <19s. Will you be dismissing them as you do the stats shown? I'd have thought a desire to care for patients is important; no doc in UK will say they r doing it for the money. They will need your ma/paternalism or else they will be just lost.

Mothers are the biggest killers of young children. If in paediatrics, next time you see a child that is attacked don't assume its the father. How will you know symptoms of Parental Alienation Syndrome? Are you good with people or fooled easily?

89% rough sleepers are men, 6100+, keep that in mind when a homeless tramp turns up in A&E. All sorts of pathology for you to laugh at. Actually ask his view on 'Equal rights for men too.'
"Just like the second-wave feminists you’re engaging in the apex fallacy. You think just because some men sit at the highest levels of some institutions that it is a privilege available to all men. Not true. We all have to work hard for the spoils of war."

Unless you don't want to help men then its best you pick obs & gyna, etc as most of the workplace injured/deaths will be men.
For ages 15+ men have been 76% of deaths from 2006-2009 inc (2009 ratio 4,304:1,371); Police deaths look 90% male; UK military deaths in Afghanistan, ONS don't have names or by gender; UK Life expectancy Men 78.5, Women 82.4 years, 4 years life gap.

If you like genital mutilation there's always the perks of male circumcision, female circumcision is illegal. Lucky, lucky, lucky boys.

Cite a source that women are over-represented at university - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8596504.stm shows they are the majority; course over-representation matters more.

There you go, more laughs. You're free to use the data only if you keep telling yourself
"I need your paternalism or else I am just lost. Talk down to me more"
"I need your paternalism or else I am just lost. Talk down to me more"
"I need your paternalism or else I am just lost. Talk down to me more."
~~~~~
Original post by Elipsis
The only thing I have found is in relation to government funding in America, which shows that one health institute spends 15x more on female only diseases, and 16.5% at another health body:
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2009/08/governments-cancer-funding-gender-gap.html

Thanks you TSR Royalty: Elipsis, your Every-man link had a citation from National Cancer Research Institute, which I followed. It isn't exactly what I wanted, but solves cancer site v funding. :smile:
www.ncri.org.uk/default.asp?s=1&p=3&ss=6, download Data_package_10 v.1.xls & http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/index.htm (post #106).
Disease Site £ (2010) ------------- Combined Deaths (2008)| Ratio £/person
Breast Cancer 42,027,686-------------12,047 | 3,489
Leukaemia 32,545,100-------------4,367 | 7,453
Colon and Rectal Cancer 22,147,448 |16,259 1,362
Prostate Cancer 16,629,771-------------10,168 | 1,635
Ovarian Cancer 12,169,672-------------4,373 | 2,783
Lung Cancer 11,847,782 -------------35,261 | 336

I can only think that smoking causes lung cancer that is why it is the biggest killer for men & women. Don't know about Leukaemia, without searching. Considering the combined amount spent by NCRI, all the pink ribbons, mobile check-ups, its SO biased towards women cancers - another reason why men are not going to live as long & medically suffer. I think men are not allowed to join their sponsoring runs. Next time cancer research is asking for money ASK for a % list of where the £ you gave goes to. If they don't know walk away & give money &/ food to the (6,100+) rough sleeping man you see - he'll need it more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 255
The thing I think people don't necessarily understand about this is the physical differences between men and women (because most differences between us are physical, rather than intellectual or alike). For a woman to play 3 sets takes about as much physical effort for her as it would for a man to play 5. They have much less physical ability in certain areas, which is why they need to play less.
They still put in the same amount of physical effort and exhaustion, and so should be paid the same as men, in my opinion.

Horse****!

Women can do the same number of sets as men, they just dont want to because they know they can get away with it.

Anyone who would have stood in their way would have been labeled sexist, possibly racist and behind the times. They would lose whatever prestige standing they'd have worked for over the years and cast-out like scum.

You telling me the only reason why women cannot play as long as the men but get AS BIG A REWARD as the men is because they cannot play ANOTHER WOMAN for as long?

LOL!

Typical woman logic. Bolded and CAPS'd for emphasis.
Reply 256
I totally disagree with about 80% of the feminists beliefs. I dislike just about everything that is to be found in the feminist propaganda. I despise the feminist movement.

It is my contention that feminism has hurt women far more than anything men have done. I believe that the de-femisation of women has been a major factor in the rise of depression in women and in the divorce rate. I believe that the emasculization of men has harmed men singularly and as a gender within our society. I am sick to death of reading all the little girlies spouting their feminist dogma when they haven't even left their parents homes to experience real life. And I can clearly see how much harm feminism has caused in our families and hence harmed our children and continues to harm our children. Therefore, I will always speak out against feminism, here and in the real world. And I further think that men speak out less because they are so vilified if they dare to raise their voices in their own defence.
"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have
a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them." -- Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor.

"I haven't the faintest notion what possible revolutionary role white hetero- sexual men could fulfill, since they are the very embodiment of reactionary- vested-interest-power. But then, I have great difficulty examining what men in general could possibly do about all this. In addition to doing the ****work that women have been doing for generations, possibly not exist? No, I really don't mean that. Yes, I really do." -- Robin Morgan

"I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig." -- Andrea Dworkin

"The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men."
-- Sharon Stone; Actress

"To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he's a machine, a walking dildo." -- Valerie Solanas, Authoress of the SCUM Manifesto

"Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation, and destroy the male sex." -- Valerie Solana, SCUM founder (Society for Cutting Up Men.)

"The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness...can be trained to do most things." -- Jilly Cooper, SCUM (Society For Cutting Up Men, started by Valerie Solanas)

"Since marriage constitutes slavery for women, it is clear that the women's movement must concentrate on attacking this institution. Freedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage." -- Sheila Cronin, the leader of the feminist organization NOW

"Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice." -- Andrea Dworkin

"Heterosexual intercourse is the pure, formalized expression of contempt for women's bodies." -- Andrea Dworkin

"In my own life, I don't have intercourse. That is my choice." -- Andrea Dworkin

Under patriarchy, every woman's son is her potential betrayer and also the inevitable rapist or exploiter of another woman." -- Andrea Dworkin

"To be rapeable, a position that is social, not biological, defines what a woman is." -- Andrea Dworkin

"Q: People think you are very hostile to men. A: I am." -- Andrea Dworkin

"Men use the night to erase us." -- Andrea Dworkin

"The annihilation of a woman's personality, individuality, will, character, is prerequisite to male sexuality." -- Andrea Dworkin

"Men love death. In everything they make, they hollow out a central place for death, let its rancid smell contaminate every dimension of whatever still survives. Men especially love murder. In art they celebrate it, and in life they commit it. They embrace murder as if life without it would be devoid of passion, meaning, and action, as if murder were solace, stilling their sobs as they mourn the emptiness and alienation of their lives." -- Andrea Dworkin

"Men are rapists, batterers, plunderers, killers; these same men are religious prophets, poets, heroes, figures of romance, adventure, accomplishment, figures ennobled by tragedy and defeat. Men have claimed the earth, called it 'Her'. Men ruin Her. Men have airplanes, guns, bombs, poisonous gases, weapons so perverse and deadly that they defy any authentically human imagination." -- Andrea Dworkin, Pornography: Men Possessing Women

"The institution of sexual intercourse is anti-feminist" -- Ti-Grace Atkinson

"Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear" -- Susan Brownmiller; Authoress of Against Our Will p.6

"When a woman reaches orgasm with a man she is only collaborating with the patriarchal system, eroticizing her own oppression." -- Sheila Jeffrys

"All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman." -- Catherine MacKinnon

"You grow up with your father holding you down and covering your mouth so another man can make a horrible searing pain between your legs." -- Catherine MacKinnon (Prominent legal feminist scholar; University of Michigan, & Yale.)

"In a patriarchal society, all heterosexual intercourse is rape because women, as a group, are not strong enough to give meaningful consent." -- Catharine MacKinnon, quoted in Professing Feminism: Cautionary Tales from the Strange World of Women's Studies.

"Ninety-five percent of women's experiences are about being a victim. Or about being an underdog, or having to survive... women didn't go to Vietnam and blow things up. They are not Rambo." -- Jodie Foster; Actress
(edited 12 years ago)
That just shows how f*ed up feminism is - some of those are ridiculous! I'm guessing all those who've said that all sex is rape and anti-feminist have never had sex. Men aren't all evil and horrible and bad and I was treated badly by my last boyfriend - I don't advocate seeing him or any other man "beaten to a bloody pulp" unless they've murdered or raped someone, and that would be the same for women too!

How does marriage constitute slavery? It's give and take - these women may feel hard done by because they have to wash up and cook, or maybe it's the whole "honour and obey" part of the vows, but if a man is worth marrying - and trust me, some are - he will be the protector and a provider. All these women are doing is making men seem like the oppressed sex, and making them seem like bitter old hags who've never found a nice man in their lives so they don't want anyone else to either.

In a nutshell -

Marriage is NOT slavery.
Sex is RARELY rape.
Consensual sex is NOT an act of violence against a woman.
Women are NOT always victims.
Men are NOT living their lives to make ours a misery.
Men are people, just like women are people - not machines, not "walking dildos" like whatever her name was said, and to call them that is actually oppressing men.

That's why I hate the feminist cause - they take loving, caring, chivalrous men like my boyfriend and my dad, and lump them in the same category as rapists and killers. They have the audacity to say that men are oppressing women, and then start shouting their mouths of when a man holds a door open for a woman, "Oh you're assuming a woman needs your help blah blah blah". Just because men probably hate them, doesn't mean it's because they're men - I'm a girl and I hate them too.
Reply 259
I actually find that religion is what created opression of woman and the social construct over thousands of years is what has made (some) men percieve woman as lesser beings.

If you look at Egyptian and Greek religion for example, prior to that of ones which are judo-christian you will see woman are equal or above men.

Blame the minority of men for making this happen. Not a wide range of us. It's not our fault we have been indoctrinated over the past couple of thousand years.

Latest

Trending

Trending