The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

Scroll to see replies

And I'm sure that the above two comments by me will no doubt be considered sexist.
Original post by snozzle
A bit OT but how much is that decision down to the individual and how much is down to society?

It's an interesting question, one I have been thinking more and more about recently. We assume the primacy if the individual in our society but possibly it is part nonsense...it is pretty obvious that our circumstances, and other 'social forces' guide and conditions 'choices' to some extent.

I think why I was about 18 the idea of joining the military might have seemed quite cool. Now I am bit older I would consider it no cool at all and would tell my 18 y/o self that if I could.

From what I've heard and read, the reason women aren't allowed to fight on the front line is actually to do with how men would react to it. If a man is injured then other men are able to react to it rationally, however if a woman is injured it is a man's biological instinct (not stereotyping, scientific fact) to rush to her aid, even if it puts him in danger. And given that the whole of the infantry is currently male, it would therefore be detrimental to safety to allow a few women in for equality's sake.

I definitely with your point about the 'coolness' of the army. It is most definitely a valuable and worthwhile job/career, but the 'coolness' factor which it has in your teens seems to stop some people fully comprehending just how much hard work it is, and the reality of some of the places the army is fighting in.
This may seem like an overly flippant opinion (which is directed at nobody in particular), but I think that being a genuinely effective feminist involves more doing and less talking. I don't think you can ever expect to overcome systematic bias by telling someone to stop being biased. These kinds of cultural expectations are woven into our society at a deep level, and are too ingrained to be really vulnerable to argument. If you really want to change the collective attitude toward women, I would argue that the best thing you can do as a woman is to focus on being awesome in interesting, unexpected ways. If you feel women don't get the respect they deserve, figure out what you think makes someone worthy of respect and then strive to cultivate whatever qualities or achievements you think are important. Nothing will teach someone to reevaluate how he or she sees the world quite so effectively as experiencing the world differently.

As a slight aside, I also think that feminism does itself a huge disservice by attacking men. Four years at an all-girls school taught me that women, perhaps even more than men, are guilty of accepting and perpetuating stupid, unhelpful stereotypes about females. Feminism shouldn't be a question of women versus men. It should be a question of trying to give women an equal footing with men in a way that puts everyone on the same team. Both genders are capable of being idiotic and ridiculous, but both genders are also capable of being creative and clever and experiencing the world in complex ways.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 443
Original post by teamnoether
Four years at an all-girls school taught me that women, perhaps even more than men, are guilty of accepting and perpetuating stupid, unhelpful stereotypes about females.

Well the are internalising the oppression of the Patriarchy or sublimating it as sadism against their fellow Sisters.

Joking aside this is really bad in some parts of the Muslim world what with burkas, veils, polygamy etc. Often it is women who are most vocal in defending oppressive social norms and conventions, and most belligerent against women who flout those 'rules'.
Original post by teamnoether
This may seem like an overly flippant opinion (which is directed at nobody in particular), but I think that being a genuinely effective feminist involves more doing and less talking. I don't think you can ever expect to overcome systematic bias by telling someone to stop being biased. These kinds of cultural expectations are woven into our society at a deep level, and are too ingrained to be really vulnerable to argument. If you really want to change the collective attitude toward women, I would argue that the best thing you can do as a woman is to focus on being awesome in interesting, unexpected ways. If you feel women don't get the respect they deserve, figure out what you think makes someone worthy of respect and then strive to cultivate whatever qualities or achievements you think are important. Nothing will teach someone to reevaluate how he or she sees the world quite so effectively as experiencing the world differently.

As a slight aside, I also think that feminism does itself a huge disservice by attacking men. Four years at an all-girls school taught me that women, perhaps even more than men, are guilty of accepting and perpetuating stupid, unhelpful stereotypes about females. Feminism shouldn't be a question of women versus men. It should be a question of trying to give women an equal footing with men in a way that puts everyone on the same team. Both genders are capable of being idiotic and ridiculous, but both genders are also capable of being creative and clever and experiencing the world in complex ways.

I agree with everything you said & respect it. Left brain thinker? :smile:

- Info about feminism, discrimination from sociological texts/class is not the same as at least talking to someone or experiencing itself. So fighting for a cause just by accepting what is said leads to someone controlling you.
- I think feminism sees reducing men in society as how to get ahead & that victimhood provides funds to push down men more. Greed/power is not gender biased, that's why you will still see "women earn 20% less than men" & "6% rape conviction" as campaigning propaganda, even when things change or info debunked. Lying politicians get ahead! It’s a shame it is not evolving around family.
- Women-only could be a good way for higher production (or not blaming men), or lead to fights. Average women have strengths that the average men do not & vice versa.
- I think the male bashing comes from women who no longer need men as the state is providing, prefer women or they r so ahead/focused, that men are not required. I think it is becoming the norm/acceptable to be alone, especially as there are many distractions to compensate like social network.
Reply 445
I think 'identities' based on victimhood (real or perceived) is a defining feature of our civilisation.
Reply 446
Original post by rad_student

- I think the male bashing comes from women who no longer need men as the state is providing, prefer women or they r so ahead/focused, that men are not required. I think it is becoming the norm/acceptable to be alone, especially as there are many distractions to compensate like social network.

You are right that the State has appropriated what might be deemed the role of The Father in our civilisation, i.e provider, law maker, sovereign over life and death if you like, that is quite Freudian but on a practical level is provides for say single mothers on welfare etc.

FYI I think women who are genuinely getting so far ahead and focused etc would not have time to reflect on how much they hate men, and 'male bash', so I think that doesn't make sense as a total explanation.

I still think women and men tend to desire one another, just now that is alienated from the economic functions of men and women being together, and in some cases economic 'needs' (fetishes?) are contary to desire (i.e committed career women with no time for men) . Some of the tension and disconnect could stem from something like that as we go against our nature more and more.
Original post by snozzle
You are right that the State has appropriated what might be deemed the role of The Father in our civilisation, i.e provider, law maker, sovereign over life and death if you like, that is quite Freudian but on a practical level is provides for say single mothers on welfare etc.

FYI I think women who are genuinely getting so far ahead and focused etc would not have time to reflect on how much they hate men, and 'male bash', so I think that doesn't make sense as a total explanation.

I still think women and men tend to desire one another, just now that is alienated from the economic functions of men and women being together, and in some cases economic 'needs' (fetishes?) are contary to desire (i.e committed career women with no time for men) . Some of the tension and disconnect could stem from something like that as we go against our nature more and more.

Disliking all the men that r above them in the job hierarchy? Or on a girl's night out, or discussing at women-only times at the gym/swimming pool?
I do read (unconfirmed) that feminists collude against the neutral women, so yes it is forcing their beliefs on more than just men.

Even going against one's nature means the brain adapts, normalises it (certain neural pathways are unactivated) & as long as the person doesn't think about it, feels less.

snozzle: "I think 'identities' based on victimhood (real or perceived) is a defining feature of our civilisation."

'I'm drowning & you're describing the water' from As Good As It Gets.
It is the usage & how/where it is applied that matters. E.g. by supporting the misandric demonising of boys/men certain parts of the industry justify more funding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXVcUSBKH4
Also controlling media content creates a un/desirable identity, who does or does not deserve targetting, is that how Hitler worked? This prevents right in the world.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 448
Disliking all the men that r above them in the job hierarchy? Or on a girl's night out, or discussing at women-only times at the gym/swimming pool?
I do read (unconfirmed) that feminists collude against the neutral women, so yes it is forcing their beliefs on more than just men.

I've never see that in the work place; the mythical sisterhood than feminists want or think exists. What I have seen is women exploiting their 'sexual capital' (hate the term but it is useful here) in a necessary cynical way, being conniving against each other, and in one corporation I worked for there are a unwritten policy to promote women instead of men to present a more equitable image.

Anyway what you wrote is very middle class biased...the whole career and hierarchy thing. Not everybody is a manager, most are worker bees in this Capitalist society of ours.

Even going against one's nature means the brain adapts, normalises it (certain neural pathways are unactivated) & as long as the person doesn't think about it, feels less.

snozzle: "I think 'identities' based on victimhood (real or perceived) is a defining feature of our civilisation."

'I'm drowning & you're describing the water' from As Good As It Gets.
It is the usage & how/where it is applied that matters. E.g. by supporting the misandric demonising of boys/men certain parts of the industry justify more funding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXVcUSBKH4
Also controlling media content creates a un/desirable identity, who does or does not deserve targetting, is that how Hitler worked? This prevents right in the world.

Well I do not consider we have fluid natures although I know Marx thought along those lines. I suppose I am more with Freud in that civilisation imposes restrictions on our natures and that is the whole point of it.

What I see with these 'groups' who claim victimhood is in some ways a kind of 'othering' of the supposed oppressor. It's basically a form of scapegoating.
Reply 449
Original post by limetang
Precisely. They managed to get the other half of the population into work, and the result hasn't been families being twice as well of as before. Call something a 'right' and for some reason people will fight to have it. Instead of 1 parent bringing up children and the other bringing in the money why don't you increase your workload so that both of you are now working and attempting to bring up your children. And remember. It's your right as a woman to be able to do this...

To clarify. I'm not saying women should unable to go to work far from it. They should have the exact same working rights as men. I'm just saying that perhaps women being encouraged to be a high powered career woman and a mother isn't exactly a good thing.

And studies have shown that kids being sent to daycare and having a variety of carers is very bad for their emotional and intellectual development.

I think the biggest problem is the idea that working will bring fufillment and happiness when in the vast majority of the time it wont. No one ever wished they worked more on their deathbed!

I'm of the belief that if you are not going to personally care for your children and make bringing them up as your number one priority especially when they are young then you simply should not have them. (you can apply to mother or the father, either or).

THe problem with feminism today is that the negative things at least in the west (for both women and men) aren't about women or even gender relations (women and men as they relate to each other). The whole social philosophical economic perspective of 'society' needs to dramatically change for things to be better.
Reply 450
Ah good old feminism - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2116695/Dermot-gets-groped-woman-X-Factor-auditions.html

Come on feminists. You pipe up when you are ridiculed in football saying that you should have equal rights and so forth and that it's not a mans' sport solely. A woman slaps a man behind and it's all fine and dandy yet if the other way around was to happen - ? need I say? Says alot about women actually. Vulgar lot.

Come on feminists ... what you gotta say
Reply 451
What I find most alarming is how it's fine and normal to behave like this. She's doing it knowing she's being filmed. It's not even done on the sly.

At least men like Andy Gray know that actually they just don't want women involved in the sport even though they know they should be allowed.

This girl typifies the female attitude ... not even aware of her own actions and what it means. Doing it like it's her full right. Like it's normal and funny and really cool. Do women not have a conscience?!
Original post by Skill
Ah good old feminism - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2116695/Dermot-gets-groped-woman-X-Factor-auditions.html

Come on feminists. You pipe up when you are ridiculed in football saying that you should have equal rights and so forth and that it's not a mans' sport solely. A woman slaps a man behind and it's all fine and dandy yet if the other way around was to happen - ? need I say? Says alot about women actually. Vulgar lot.

Come on feminists ... what you gotta say

I don't find it 'all fine and dandy' actually - I think that's pretty disgusting behaviour. I get extremely offended when people do that to me and I don't think it's OK because a man happens to be the victim. He had no choice but to make out he was fine with it because he would have been mocked if he'd been offended. This is an issue that needs to be dealt with but men themselves need to start saying when they feel someone is being sexually inappropriate so that people know it is unacceptable. It doesn't say a lot about women because that was one woman's actions. I don't think that all men are molesters just because I've been groped on several occasions. But the fact remains that this is something experienced by women much more than it is experienced by men.

Btw Daily Mail is not a great source if you're looking for a feminist response on an issue.
Reply 453
Original post by ArtGoblin
I don't find it 'all fine and dandy' actually - I think that's pretty disgusting behaviour. I get extremely offended when people do that to me and I don't think it's OK because a man happens to be the victim. He had no choice but to make out he was fine with it because he would have been mocked if he'd been offended. This is an issue that needs to be dealt with but men themselves need to start saying when they feel someone is being sexually inappropriate so that people know it is unacceptable. It doesn't say a lot about women because that was one woman's actions. I don't think that all men are molesters just because I've been groped on several occasions. But the fact remains that this is something experienced by women much more than it is experienced by men.

Btw Daily Mail is not a great source if you're looking for a feminist response on an issue.

Rubbish.

Men need to speak up when they are being touched up? Read that sentence over woman, you sound guilty. You're just manipulating it in a way that makes it sound as if men are responsible for not having spoken out about it and because of that, touching on the bum might be just fine ey? :rolleyes:

It does say alot about women. What it says is alot when you really look at it. A woman thinks she can just touch a dudes bum in front of all the camera crew knowing full well this could be broadcast to the world. That says alot about women and the cheek they have to think they can do as they please. It's not just the individual who did it. It represents something about woman ... the idea that they can actually do this as if it is fine. Would a man dare rub Cheryl Cole's bum and pull faces like it's funny to all the press? Not in a million years. And not just that ... could you imagine if some balding, fat ugly bloke had his hand on Cheryl's bum - imagine the outrage from females. All the 'creep :/' quotes you girls come out with and basically a full scale assasination of the man in question. You'd be labelling him a perv, a creep and so on and on.

And then you cry for equality?

Women have got some serious serious double standard issues.

Absolutely disgusting frankly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Skill
Rubbish.

Men need to speak up when they are being touched up? Read that sentence over woman, you sound guilty. You're just manipulating it in a way that makes it sound as if men are responsible for not having spoken out about it and because of that, touching on the bum might be just fine ey? :rolleyes:

It does say alot about women. What it says is alot when you really look at it. A woman thinks she can just touch a dudes bum in front of all the camera crew knowing full well this could be broadcast to the world. That says alot about women and the cheek they have to think they can do as they please. It's not just the individual who did it. It represents something about woman ... the idea that they can actually do this as if it is fine. Would a man dare rub Cheryl Cole's bum and pull faces like it's funny to all the press? Not in a million years. And not just that ... could you imagine if some balding, fat ugly bloke had his hand on Cheryl's bum - imagine the outrage from females. All the 'creep :/' quotes you girls come out with and basically a full scale assasination of the man in question. You'd be labelling him a perv, a creep and so on and on.

And then you cry for equality?

Women have got some serious serious double standard issues.

Absolutely disgusting frankly.

That is only the tip of the iceberg, a by-product. You need more meaningful links like before not celebs + variety of sources.

He is being objectified. She is doing this as society will absolves her whoever she is & could it perpetuate a myth that he is lucky & should be grateful?

Same if she is being abusive; that's why women will hit big guys that other men would not dare; they will be more passive-aggressive against other women as physical retalition may be high. As mentioned earlier also true with Parental Alienation Syndrome (even with court order), late payers of child maintenance, reproductive rights (not sure what's happening with paternity fraud), false rape allegations.
Original post by limetang
Perhaps. Although just because it's a social imperative it doesn't mean it's by any means a bad thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with women desiring to be stay at home mothers, although at the same time I don't think there should be anything wrong with men wanting to be stay at home fathers. (Obviously so long as it is financially doable). To clarify I'm by no means suggesting that the only way to be a good parent is by staying at home, and not working to bring up your child.

I'm not saying it's 'good' or 'bad' - that's not really the point. The danger is in supposing that it is in any way 'normal' or 'natural' for women to do one thing and men to do another just because that is what we are used to in the here and now. It's just important to recognise the subjective nature of all this.

Good old sex-obsessed men who encourage this sort of stuff by only paying attention to women when they show cleavage.
Reply 458
Original post by When you see it...
Good old sex-obsessed men who encourage this sort of stuff by only paying attention to women when they show cleavage.

Prove it to me?

It's called women using their sexual power to influence people .... manipulation.
Reply 459
Original post by Dr Good Manners
Feminism outside Iran and Saudi Arabia is an unfunny joke and 100% obsolete. Its just an excuse for bitter spotty women to sit round a table crying about men and how repressed they are because woman still has "man" in it.

Can you not see how your own comment reflects your sexist attitude towards women? To suggest that only unattractive women have something to complain about in society is, inherently, sexist.

Latest

Trending

Trending