The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ultimate1
Life's not fair, you have to deal with it and make the most of what you've got.

Not everyone are born heirs to millions, so should the Government be handing out millions to everyone?

I think they should be taking the millions and redistributing it to people so that no 1 person is significantly richer than any other.
Life isn't fair, but that's no excuse for not trying to make it as fair as possible.
Reply 541
Original post by electriic_ink
A typical feminist. You say you support gender equality and yet your posts reveal that the opposite is true. Are you implying that men can't be rape victims or that support networks for male rape victims shouldn't exist or both?

Neither, I said woman because the vast majority of rapes are committed against women and in this particular case it was a woman who falsely accused a man of rape. I believe more should be done to support male rape victims as male rape is largely ignored as an issue in society.
Original post by VaVe
Neither, I said woman because the vast majority of rapes are committed against women and in this particular case it was a woman who falsely accused a man of rape.

How do you know that? Certainly, the vast majority of reported rape victims are female but that doesn't mean that the vast majority of them actually are. And why does the fact that most reported victims are female justify you not using a gender-neutral term (e.g. people)? Aren't you further alienating the minority of male rape victims by doing so?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vedderfan94
Not punished, just paid less. Theoretical physicists have to go through GCSEs, then A levels, then an undergraduate degree (and usually a masters), then a PhD and THEN they are fully qualified for physics jobs. Toilet cleaners are usually the people who drop out before completing their GCSEs or have completed only GCSEs. So they have worked a lot harder to get to where they are and so should be paid more.

Okay, this argument is going nowhere - we obviously have differences which we can't come to terms with. What I will say though is this (assuming theoretical physicists are just like any other scientists). If you want to go into such a profession, I think you are underestimating the amount of work you have to do. Once you get a PhD, they don't just say (not for other areas of science anyway, I don't know much about this) 'Oh congrats lol here is a job'. Instead, you have to differentiate yourself from the others who are in your same position by doing postdoc work, which can take years and years before you are offered a full time job. Completely irrelevant to this discussion and you may know this already, but I thought it was important to warn you (it may even be different for theoretical physics I don't know).
Reply 544
Original post by When you see it...
I think they should be taking the millions and redistributing it to people so that no 1 person is significantly richer than any other.
Life isn't fair, but that's no excuse for not trying to make it as fair as possible.

So people's heard earnt millions should be snatched away from? Despite the fact that they probably paid a lot of tax as well?
How do you know that? Certainly, the vast majority of reported rape victims are female but that doesn't mean that the vast majority of them actually are. And why does the fact that most reported victims are female justify you not using a gender-neutral pronoun? Aren't you further alienating the minority of male rape victims by doing so?

You know a discussion about feminism has degenerated into poncy bull**** (from both sides, not just you) when people start discussing which pronoun is the most appropriate.
Reply 546
How do you know that? Certainly, the vast majority of reported rape victims are female but that doesn't mean that the vast majority of them actually are. And why does the fact that most victims being female justify you not using a gender-neutral pronoun? Aren't you further alienating the minority of male rape victims by doing so?

It's generally accepted that reported crime figures while usually lower than actual figures are reflective in some way of the number of crimes committed. I've fixed the use on a non gender neutral pronoun which while may be alienating, as you yourself admit, the minority of male rape victims as the case that I was posting about involved a woman as I mentioned in my previous post I wasn't saying that male rape victims don't exist.
Okay, this argument is going nowhere - we obviously have differences which we can't come to terms with. What I will say though is this (assuming theoretical physicists are just like any other scientists). If you want to go into such a profession, I think you are underestimating the amount of work you have to do. Once you get a PhD, they don't just say (not for other areas of science anyway, I don't know much about this) 'Oh congrats lol here is a job'. Instead, you have to differentiate yourself from the others who are in your same position by doing postdoc work, which can take years and years before you are offered a full time job. Completely irrelevant to this discussion and you may know this already, but I thought it was important to warn you (it may even be different for theoretical physics I don't know).

Of course I know this. I'm just saying they are only qualified after a PhD. You were trying to argue that toilet cleaners should be paid the same as theoretical physicists. Which is absurd.
Original post by Ultimate1
So people's heard earnt millions should be snatched away from? Despite the fact that they probably paid a lot of tax as well?

You said inherit not earn. Also, that amount of money is excessive for anyone no matter how hard they work.
You know a discussion about feminism has degenerated into poncy bull**** (from both sides, not just you) when people start discussing which pronoun is the most appropriate.

No, it hasn't. People can make any claims they want but it's the language they choose to use that reveals what they really think.
Thread is open again.
Please can people stop discussing things like pronouns and language?
Original post by big-bang-theory
I think you're confusing intelligence with competence. You can have an incredibly intelligent incompetent because he's lazy that is worse at their job than a hard-working person of average intelligence.

I'll grant you being intelligent is useful for being able to become competent but it's not the same thing.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
I'm confused what's you're actual point about feminism? What do you want to discuss? Feminist views are quite broad.

Original post by Id and Ego seek
Can I join?

Thread is back up if you want to carry on the discussion.

Original post by rad_student
Do you think he is taking about women not taking or paying for their responsibilities, despite having a lot of options? I think it was mentioned that after the second abortion the women should get free sterilisation?

I think it'd be good to have these pregnancies after all who will be the future taxpayers? I mean men paying for this equality is getting expensive & poor value, it could act like a deterrent, also if they PAID for it then it could be taken from their wages once they earned? (Yes I know the alternative of babies going to birth will be a man paying for it whether directly or taxation. Same argument also used when its said that women being housekeepers was mainly subsidised by the partner/Govt)

Men being the main taxpayer - can't find Mar-2012 story which said about women losing more jobs, but added men were 85% taxpayer. It might be at HMRC.

Or could it be how many of those cases involved fathers who wanted to keep the baby? Or could it be people don't like the idea of foetuses being sucked out?

That Bearded Man - I think they do with quotas & other stuff I have already written about in this thread. We see more help for women to get into STEM jobs, but not the reverse in caring jobs.

Just in case you missed this thread. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending