The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellejuice91
I'm just comfortable with the concept of feminism and never have been. Some women manipulate men on a daily basis via flirting etc I think sexism and abuse goes both ways

You've never been comfortable with women's right? O.o I mean, that is what feminism was originally about.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
You've never been comfortable with women's right? O.o I mean, that is what feminism was originally about.

Feminism isn't women's rights - feminism is the movement that FOUGHT for women's rights. Someone can agree with the cause - in this case, women's rights - but disagree with the way in which a particular group - in this case, feminists - chose to fight for said cause.

I know some people who, under the guise of calling themselves feminists, slag off all men, calling them perverts and the like. I know not all feminists are like that, but it's hard to have a positive view of feminists when I've been slagged off on the internet for saying that, if the situation was feasible financially, as long as my husband is working, earning a wage and protecting the family, I'd be perfectly happy to be a housewife - cleaning, looking after the children and making sure he has a dinner waiting for him when he gets home, and that in my wedding vows I will choose to say, "to honour and obey", because it is true. I've been told that I'm a disgrace to the suffragetes and feminists who fought for women's rights. Actually, they fought for our right to CHOOSE - they fought for my right to choose whether to work in an office or be a housewife who wants to obey her husband in return for his promise to protect me. They didn't fight so that they could force me to live a life I wouldn't be happy with, just because it's the sort of life they think all women should want.
I am totally disagree with that point, you can be who wants but remember a feminist woman dont say you: Dont live as a housewife, say : LOVE YOURSELF and search your qualities and do them reality

Meeting the possibilities of the woman and all the things that a group of women did a day and today give us freedom to be what we want ; rights very important in our society

you can live your life as a housewife, single mom and gay woman....but all the things are thanks to the determination of the feminism :smile:

But even today, however, there are many discrimination acts against the woman, and that s the power of the feminism actually, trying to delete those types of things.

I dont think a girl who wants getting those rights say you: All the boys are perverts...say you: we fight against perverts and discrimination acts done by any genre
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marijuanahero
Feminism is such a massive snore.

Women should not be discriminated against for reasons of sex. Nor should they expect men to accept if the workplace/life in general is made easier for women so that they can give birth and raise babies.

Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister of this country in 1979 (with two small children in tow). In my opinion, if more 'feminists' took a leaf out of her book, and actually did some bloody work, as opposed to merely snivelling that their maternity leave pay isn't quite what they thought it might be, then we would have had another female P.M

As for Louise Mensch, who made a political point of getting up in the middle of a Parliamentary Select Committee meeting to 'pick her kids up from school', well, she can just boil her head as far as I'm concerned. Idiot.

Just because the majority of 'feminists' read dogmatic literature and diagnose society with superficial and quite frankly frivolous issues garishly branding it as 'feminism' doesn't mean we are all that clueless.

I was ousted from the feminist society at my University THAT I FOUNDED because people are not ready to accept that there is a lot more wrong with society than stupid things like maternity leave and female sexual liberation.

There needs to be a large scale redefinition of the word and a thorough irrigation of the gender pretensions.
Original post by soya salami
without being rude, I'd say thats a little naive to say women are equal in many first world countries. Yes, by policies and representation things have massively been improved but they are still sexualised and exploited. Why are women more likely to be victims of sexual violence and why are standards so different for them in terms of appearance, just some of the modern feminist issues.

Soya I am glad to hear that policies and representation have massively been improved. Q1 What areas still need improving further for women?

Since last post, some examples where it could equally improve for men. Purposefully used the word LEGAL enough times to convey the message that women are LEGALLY allowed to literally get away with murder, while men are LEGALLY responsible for EVERYthing.

1. Men are not LEGALLY allowed to refuse to pay child support. T/F? Women proportionately refuse to pay child support more than men, not just true in UK. Has nothing to do with sex bashing and EVERYTHING to do with entitlement.

2. Men are not LEGALLY allowed to murder their partners, or anyone else for that matter. Women literally get away with murder AT WHIM. “I was abbbbuuuussseeedddd!” Three simple words, tears and it’s case closed.
Kiranjit Ahluwalia was even given an Award by Cherie Blair for killing her husband! Even a film with Aishwarya Rai, Provoked: A True Story (2006). Ahluwalia had taken time to learn how to make a chemical weapon, similar to Napalm & set him on fire, i.e. revenge. This would be manslaughter/murder but Battered Women Syndrome (created by L.Walker psychologist) meant conviction was quashed on appeal. Given her bruising, her children as witnesses, she could have ejected him permanently by calling the police.
Battered Men Syndrome & why abuse to men is so hidden, so not going to get used & its nothing new.:mad:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/penis-burning-wife-rajini-narayan-walks-free/story-e6frg12c-1226038437571 - unpunished, its not just UK. Now imagine for 20 seconds a man had done that to a woman... Anyone think he would have walked free...?
Warren Farrell said the equivalent defence of a woman killing during PMS is testosterone poisoning! PMS (& post baby depression) has been used by women to get away with killing their children & husbands.
http://csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm - 218 empirical studies and 64 reviews and/or analyses, which demonstrate that women are as physically aggressive, or more aggressive, than men in their relationships with their spouses or male partners. The aggregate sample size in the reviewed studies exceeds 369,800. This is what Erin Pizzey has been saying for >25 years.

3. Men are not LEGALLY allowed to rape or molest children. Men who break that law are harshly and severely punished THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. Women who break that law are rarely or lightly punished. The 8.2% of boys/men being raped probably ignores when women are not charged; media say the boy is "lucky" = rape, "affair" = serial rapist. Kidscape on female sexual abuse of children.

4. When women make false rape accusations, women’s groups rise up to defend them as in the Dominique Strauss-Kahn and Duke LaCrosse cases. They RUIN men’s lives and in low profile cases aren’t even reprimanded/perjury, much less prosecuted.
Men still care about rape (though it has become less), even when women don’t give a damn about false rape accusations. It’s not that women are bad, but the system does not punish the ones who are. Feminists condescend to admit there ‘may be a few male victims’, but no large body of them, no systemic victmisation and, they add, it’ll do men good to be victims now and then. Summary of 3 sources.

Q2 Where is the equal representation? And how do we fight all unequal representation?
With pushing more women into Govt., do you think these women will fight FOR equality, like creating a Minister For Men? Research reasons WHY boys/men die more for the same age group & take action?

I think women have been conditioned to be selfish, as that has become the norm for centuries. In the past it was more natural for 'men compete & women choose" because childbirth had fatalities of the child &/or mother so men sacrificing was for the greater good.
UK still bans women fighting on the frontline because men die saving them, but Oz has lifted ban. Similarly true in police & fire fighter; but no ban.
Nowadays women's privilege is shown in health, reproductive rights, education, in work excludes glass cellar, on the battlefield, etc. When a male takes a woman out, he usually pays for the transport, meal, drink, event costs, she spends on herself to look good for the occasion like new clothes, beauty salon treatment. Wonder if men spend more on pampering themselves with the beauty industry(?) :wink: Could this be why women have grown up to be more narcissistic, with the attention the other gender gives? Or do they like the make-up, etc because women want to rather then an expectation? A relationship where the man spends as much £ &/or time as the women causes problems, because having 2 people self-obsessed can be tricky.

'Girl Writes What'
has more on systemic gendered violence (& done a great video on Reproductive Rights, if anyone needs arguing points). She mentions Egyptian woman chanting in the streets "Drag me, strip me. My brother’s blood will cover me." GWW says "A single female victim of state violence will lead the women of Egypt to rise up and pledge their brothers’ lives "not their own" to avenging that wrong. And yet it is women who suffer systemic gendered violence across the globe?"

Q3 Anyone with ONE example (not hearsay) where men are LEGALLY entitled to harm women; LEGALLY entitled to force women into servitude; LEGALLY allowed any advantage over denied women?

Should more boys/men be brushed under the prison carpet(?)
Any law students or Soya please reply to Q1-3 as I'd like to know. It may help with Sociology essays.

The more the number of laws, the more a reason for Govt existence & law people to be employed (No fee No win ads came about in mid 1990s).
The more men in prison the more they can do restrained social work (building painting, road-side gardening, etc) for the council (or MPs!) & be payed a few pounds for work costing £50+, saving £millions (ex-con told me that).

As mentioned before, do NOT believe Wikipedia, there is censoring when it involves politics & £100M+ industries.

PS
Any feminists get offended/protested in London, Miss World 2011, appalling offense against women’s equality, reduces women to their parts? :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 125
Original post by james22
"Yet women are, on average, paid less despite being, on average, more intelligent"

Source for the inteligence bit? (exam results don't count as that is easily refuted).

On average?

Last time I checked an intelligent woman does not listen to logic when it comes to blaming a man so therefore the very fact of 'intelligent women' is wrong.

:smile:
Original post by LoouuReeed
you can be who wants but remember a feminist woman dont say you: Dont live as a housewife, say : LOVE YOURSELF and search your qualities and do them reality

you can live your life as a housewife, single mom and gay woman....but all the things are thanks to the determination of the feminism :smile:

But even today, however, there are many discrimination acts against the woman, and that s the power of the feminism actually, trying to delete those types of things.

Oh yes, its all about me, me & me. As I was saying in the last post, I think women have been conditioned to be selfish as they fight for themselves & men also fight for them. Traits of a Female Narcissist.

ipulledhermione so they focus on "maternity leave and female sexual liberation", more me, me, me or have I misunderstood your text?

"Me, me, me: The workplace is one area where women can develop an over-inflated view of themselves"
. Yep, the more the financial emancipation, wage-slaves, competing/beating/emasculating men, the lower the happiness quotient. The difference between men & women - hypergamy. Men will marry a women who may choose to postpone her career to have children & maybe choose never to work again. Some women's point of a career was to be in contact with powerful men who could be their life partner. For others a man is a step-ladder, the better she is the better the partner she 'deserves' but, these better men have been replaced by other women; all wanting the last few! Especially if in their 20s, as childless women rightfully earn more. It means all the good men are not near the office, but still doing the hard, heavy, dangerous work. This gave rise to MGTOW (men go their own way), guys more interested in TV/games/self actualisation & 'grass-eating' men in Japan.
This freedom comes from the Pill & with modern tools housework of cooking, cleaning, etc is no longer a whole day's job.

Feminism frees women of all their responsibilities and obligations to men and society (producing and raising children, a loving family home). Its replaced by choices, helping to focus on me, me, me. Men were once motivated to provide and protect with the promise of a family. Thanks to feminism, this family can be taken away in Family courts, but the obligation and responsibility to that family remains; even if men did not know about it.

There is sometimes an obligation on men to save a women from being attacked?
What men find troublesome about marriage is the blame for everything. No one says a marriage failed because the wife didn’t make enough money, give enough support, was not doing it right in the bedroom, was not sensitive enough, or that she was an abusive harridan who emptied the checking accounts and made babies by other men but did not let the supporting 'father' know. It’s ALWAYS MEN’S FAULT. There is the reduced property rights; limited parental rights and diminished legal rights; NON-EXISTENT REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS of men who must endure the divorce industry created by feminists.

Name one obligation that women have towards men?

Which 'discrimination acts against the woman', do you have in mind?

Housewife - present before feminism in the past.
Single Mom -as the Govt. has replaced the father as caretaker by feminism determination; using taxes that majority of men pay into, majority users being women.
(http://www.poverty.ac.uk/content/women-lose-out-government-cuts (women are heavier users of welfare benefits and public services than men. Tax credits 70%, child benefit 94% go to women. Between 2005-2008 housing benefit claimants 53% women, 25% men, 22% couples. Women are heavier users of social care, live in households with children of school/pre-school age using education. More likely to be in households with no one in employment because of caring responsibilities or no male earner.)
Gay Woman - can't find anything about it, seems reasonable.
No.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by When you see it...
No, I am against the idea of war and armies altogether. If we had a world country, there would be no international conflict, so there wouldn't be a 'front line', so this would be a non-issue. There would be civil wars, but believe that anyone should be able to fight in a civil war, but no-one should be made to fight in a civil war (i.e. no conscription) and the only people fighting will actually believe in the cause that they are fighting for rather than having soldiers hide behind the excuse 'I'm only following orders' when they commit atrocities.

For this and all your feminist posts I say this:

Reply 129
Ugh...hippy feminists...Pshaw
I know that it is subjective. There is no way of proving this as it is all down to perspective and interpretation. There is also no definition of 'intelligence' really. However, in my opinion, based on what I have observed of people's behaviour, women seem more intelligent than men. It doesn't really matter because even if there is a diffference, intelligence is not determined by gender as there are intelligent guys and less intelligent girls. If there isn't a difference, the fact that they are paid less is still wrong. Even if men were more intelligent, there shouldn't be a gap in how much people from each gender are paid (IMO of course, because you cannot control how intelligent you are and, if anything, income should be based on hard work although that is not really feasible). Ignore the intelligence bit, I just intended it to be banter. (I am male myself, so I definitely don't think of men as stupid and don't judge intelligence on gender at all).
EDIT: spelling...

I'd just like to say, this forum is extremely anti-feminism. They think that men are actually becoming discriminated against on a large scale, as well as white people. They think to fight the cause for one thing, which has a history of repression, you are yourself repressing the other. They don't understand feminism, so don't be down heartened by their reactions. :biggrin:

Why can't you lot understand that feminism isn't a personal attack against men?! Don't be so dense... Why can't you sympathise with something that doesn't directly affect you, men of TSR. Why can't you understand that women have had a massive history of repression and are still recovering from that.
Original post by KimKallstrom
For this and all your feminist posts I say this:

Spoken: "Gay"

Ugh, name calling. Are you what they call a troll?
Or did you forgot to write up the rest of your rational, well researched argument? There should be a mental age limit at least 4 years old & the capacity to learn before some people should post. Are you homophobic & discriminatory as well? Or just in need of contacting http://www.mindincroydon.org.uk/?
I hope I have not made any assumption greater then your post? I find it difficult to get to your level without :banghead:.
Could OP please provide evidence for his assertion in the bold below:

Some people refer to feminism in the past tense as though it is something that 'happened'. Yet women are, on average, paid less despite being, on average, more intelligent and it is harder for women to gain power (only 145 out of 650 MPs in British parliament are female - and that is fairly good reresentation compared to other countries). Some feminists believe that the main goals of modern feminism are to solve small problems (for example, they try to stop individual people using the c- and p- words) rather than actually try to change our oppressive society. Such petty actions seem to be the reason why third wave feminism is often associated with political correctness and also why many people on TSR have a bitter anti-feminist rhetoric. Whilst mindless philosophers and career politicians debate silly things that don't even matter, our oppressive society is allowed to thrive. This group is for everyone who believes that gender-focused political agenda is still needed.
Original post by PendulumBoB
Could OP please provide evidence for his assertion in the bold below:

Can you provide evidence that men are stronger than women?
Can you provide evidence that men are stronger than women?

Never said they were stronger genius.

But as you asked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans#Strength.2C_power_and_muscle_mass

Now return the favour if you would.
(edited 12 years ago)
Never said they were stronger genius.

But as you asked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans#Strength.2C_power_and_muscle_mass

Now return the favour if you would.

I know you never said that, I'm just saying that it is an axiomatic fact and that I believe women being more intelligent is also an axiomatic fact.
The statements on wikipedia are based on statistics, not facts, therefore I don't accept that as proof. I could provide you with statistics showing that women do better at school. Does that prove that they are more intelligent?
It doesn't even matter - I am just saying that in general they are more intelligent and that in general men are stronger. I can't provide proof and neither can you, so get over it. It is my opinion based on what I have observed. You disagree- fine, but don't ask me to provide evidence as it is obviously subjective.
(I know you will say that strength is objective, but just let it go - I merely used this as an (admittedly bad) example of how you can't prove this and that it just seems self-evident to me. Also, what I will say is how do you explain why women do better at school other than by concluding that they are more intelligent.)
Even if they are not more intelligent, they are definitely harder working (one or the other or both - otherwise how would they do better at school?) and better qualified for jobs that there are a higher proportion of men working in. Therefore, regardless of whether you agree with me about intelligence, you have to see my point. Why are there more men working in high-paying or competetive jobs when, if anything, more women should be working in these jobs (due to women being, on average, better qualified even ignoring intelligence/workrate)? Why are women payed less than men for the same job?
Will people stop fixating on this now?
Reply 136
I know you never said that, I'm just saying that it is an axiomatic fact and that I believe women being more intelligent is also an axiomatic fact.
The statements on wikipedia are based on statistics, not facts, therefore I don't accept that as proof. I could provide you with statistics showing that women do better at school. Does that prove that they are more intelligent?
It doesn't even matter - I am just saying that in general they are more intelligent and that in general men are stronger. I can't provide proof and neither can you, so get over it. It is my opinion based on what I have observed. You disagree- fine, but don't ask me to provide evidence as it is obviously subjective.
(I know you will say that strength is objective, but just let it go - I merely used this as an (admittedly bad) example of how you can't prove this and that it just seems self-evident to me. Also, what I will say is how do you explain why women do better at school other than by concluding that they are more intelligent.)
Even if they are not more intelligent, they are definitely harder working (one or the other or both - otherwise how would they do better at school?) and better qualified for jobs that there are a higher proportion of men working in. Therefore, regardless of whether you agree with me about intelligence, you have to see my point. Why are there more men working in high-paying or competetive jobs when, if anything, more women should be working in these jobs (due to women being, on average, better qualified even ignoring intelligence/workrate)? Why are women payed less than men for the same job?

Women do better in school because they mature earlier, when you look at university statistics beyond the first year (as many guys are still maturing then) men and women are about equal. Can you provide ANY good evidence for them being more intelligent and harder working and better qualified for high end jobs?

If women were better qualified then why do the jobs go to men? Companies don't care about race/gender/hair colour one bit, they care about how much money the person can make them. Why would they take someone less qualified just because they are a man?

Please provide even a scrap of evidence that isn't easily refuable.

You can prove that the average man is stronger than the average woman and it's possible to prove (if indeed it is the case) that the average woman is more intelligent than the average man, but you cannot. As james22 said, the differences in academic attainment at school can easily be explained by the faster maturation rates of females. As for the idea that women work harder and should thus be paid more, firstly earnings are not and should not be linked to effort anyway, and secondly, measuring how hard a person works is pretty difficult to do meaningfully, but I would welcome a link to a study. You should also note that young women earn more than young men and the evidence for a national conspiracy against women by men is wearing thin indeed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/young-women-now-earn-more-than-men-2364675.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1337294/Young-women-ahead-men-pay-shrinks.html

This idea that women are not physically less strong but are more intelligent is in no way, "self-evident" you can gather evidence to support or refute both these things.

You should also be aware that in the UK paying a woman less for doing the same job is illegal and so with a few notable exceptions where the employer is now having his/her ass sued, this probably isn't a national epidemic.
(edited 12 years ago)
You can prove that the average man is stronger than the average woman and it's possible to prove (if indeed it is the case) that the average woman is more intelligent than the average man, but you cannot. As james22 said, the differences in academic attainment at school can easily be explained by the faster maturation rates of females. As for the idea that women work harder and should thus be paid more, firstly earnings are not and should not be linked to effort anyway, and secondly, measuring how hard a person works is pretty difficult to do meaningfully, but I would welcome a link to a study. You should also note that young women earn more than young men and the evidence for a national conspiracy against women by men is wearing thin indeed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/young-women-now-earn-more-than-men-2364675.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1337294/Young-women-ahead-men-pay-shrinks.html

This idea that women are not physically less strong but are more intelligent is in no way, "self-evident" you can gather evidence to support or refute both these things.

You should also be aware that in the UK paying a woman less for doing the same job is illegal and so with a few notable exceptions where the employer is now having his/her ass sued, this probably isn't a national epidemic.

You can't prove it because it is subjective - get ovr it. Also why shouldn't earnings be linked to effort? I believe that everyone should be payed the same, but if you had to pay people different amounts, surely effort is the criteria.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I'd just like to say, this forum is extremely anti-feminism. They think that men are actually becoming discriminated against on a large scale, as well as white people. They think to fight the cause for one thing, which has a history of repression, you are yourself repressing the other. They don't understand feminism, so don't be down heartened by their reactions. :biggrin:

Why can't you lot understand that feminism isn't a personal attack against men?! Don't be so dense... Why can't you sympathise with something that doesn't directly affect you, men of TSR. Why can't you understand that women have had a massive history of repression and are still recovering from that.

Hi SophiaKeuning, if you knew what feminism was about then yes there is reason to be anti-feminism; I am talking modern feminism, not 1st/2nd wave or egalitarianism. Have a look at my post #115 (I take it you have read the other posts on page 6).
Men are being discriminated on a large scale; on what levels do you think this is not happening? Do you not see it because men's discrimination does not affect you? (Like the women inc Sharon Osborne on The View laughing at a wife who castrated husband; as they never had a penis, losing it is meaningless.)
A compendium of (US, similar to other English speaking countries) men's issues http://cmi.thedamnedoldeman.com/ & http://www.sexismbusters.org/ref1.html; to see if you think its all minor or very few reasons.

An Australian 'journalist' wrote "There’s a movement that sees males - generally straight, middle-aged, white males - as the new oppressed. No, seriously." 795 comments about that (read a few), which looks really high in comparison on their site = a lot of people have something to say because they are being ignored & treated unfairly.

What doesn't directly affect men of TSR, but heavily affects women? Is it worse than discrimination in the law, health funding, early deaths/late retirement combination? Have a read of my posts to understand why there is discrimination on a large scale & much worse. I mean we sympathise with 11% of rough sleepers & 25% of suicides of women, as well as the 89% & 75% of men; it'd be wrong to just concentrate on the 89% & 75% only. 92% of rapes (ONS) are on women, we should still sympathise with the 8% of males equally as the 92%. Its just that more effort should be put on the majority. Even with men being the majority for some disadvantages, the focus REMAINS on women.

During this massive history of repression, what was happening to the men? Were they living it up? EACH time you think of women in history being repressed, just do a quick check on how their men were suffering.
How could there be a Men's Rights Organization in the 1920s if women were repressed, I mean there were Husband-Killing Syndicates, women getting less sentences for killing men (even then!) using chivalry.
You can't mean during wars when women were giving out White Feathers & British men dying on a battlefield 1,000/day?
Or during the Titanic or in Italy now ("Women and children first," Smith said. "All these families who were clinging to each other had to be separated).
Maybe staying at home with the kids was worse than jobs in agriculture & manufacturing than they are now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8tToFv-bA mother on Feminism and the Disposable Male & her balanced article. (replace * with shi t)

Feminism: Recipe for slavery video - if you wanna know how feminism is used to control women(, to control men), parts 1-6. Part 7-8 is about religion & I think there are better ways, so may wanna ignore.

Part of feminism which you can see in Denmark, Sweden, etc is to split the males from the family, so the focus is elsewhere (easier to control as 'divided we fall'). Just look at the % of 1 parent (women) families in the country, how laws/payouts prevent the need for 2 parent families & the trouble in society caused by children without fathers (>80% of UK custody go to the mother only). One Swedish man's story who challenged the system and went public with proof of the corruption & they are prosecuting him.

Once you have been through the links, I'd appreciate some input please or things I have not addressed.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest