The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Can't judge Imperial's Biomed course as it's brand new for 2006.
Reply 2
In that case, the remainders? KCL and UCL?
UCL, by a mile.
Reply 4
Cheers, so UCL has quite a strong biomed course, relative to the rest of the country too? Or not?
dynamite_man
Cheers, so UCL has quite a strong biomed course, relative to the rest of the country too? Or not?

Yes, it has the Wolfson Institute too, which is the top biomed research institute in the country and one of the best in the world.
Reply 6
ChemistBoy
Yes, it has the Wolfson Institute too, which is the top biomed research institute in the country and one of the best in the world.

Kick ass, thanks.
I seem to remember that UCL's Biomed course isnt accredited by the IBMS, but i could be wrong. Thats definitely a point to consider, if you want to be an actual Biomedical Scientist and/or work for the NHS, an accredited course will save you at least a year of postgraduate training and money.
Reply 8
The Times singled out the biomedical science course at UCL as "frighteningly strong" but that was in 2004. I'm pretty sure you'll get invited to open days or interviews at the respective institutions to see how it is anyway.
vickyrkenya
I seem to remember that UCL's Biomed course isnt accredited by the IBMS, but i could be wrong. Thats definitely a point to consider, if you want to be an actual Biomedical Scientist and/or work for the NHS, an accredited course will save you at least a year of postgraduate training and money.

Well, it isn't really important as apparently the course is accredited by the HPC and individuals can apply for membership of the IBMS and usually obtain it. Getting a course accredited by the IBMS costs a considerable sum of money and when individuals can still can membership of the institute then UCL probably think that there is little point.
They can be members of the institute but they do not get any recognised IBMS qualification and hence have to do further postgraduate training to validate their degree.
Reply 11
Hah, UCL vs Kings for a life science? Don't make me laugh. Kings could never compete.

Watch out for the chemistry module here though. It's a complete arse to handle. Only two more lectures in it though :biggrin:
vickyrkenya
They can be members of the institute but they do not get any recognised IBMS qualification and hence have to do further postgraduate training to validate their degree.

Are you sure? According to the institutes guidelines the degree has to be assessed and then postgraduate training may have to be undertaken (this is the same with any learned body). Also "top-up" courses are provided by the NHS on day release so the cost to the individual is minimal. It is likely that a UCL graduate may have to do some laboratory training, but that is all.
Reply 13
Some of you guys really don't do your homework, do you? DO NOT study a biomed science degree which isn't accredited by the IBMS UNLESS you have absoluteley no intention of going into Biomedical Science in the NHS. No NHS employer in their right mind is going to employ you if he/she can take on a graduate from an accredited degree course, as they will need to give you time off to study for a "top-up" in a local uni/college. It also means it will take you longer to progress up the career ladder (and pay scale).
As an employer, I would recommend the following Biomed courses in the London and south east area:
University of Surrey
University of Westminster
University of Portsmouth

Furthermore, the UniS one has a Coterminus route where the local employers sponsor the student on the course and provide summer training placements. Check it out!
http://www.ashfordstpeters.nhs.uk/intranet/Ashford---/Pathology-/index.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending