The Student Room Group

AQA A Physics Unit 4 24th Jan 2012

How is everyone finding revision for this exam?

Does anyone have any ideas about what could come up for the 6 mark question?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexl

I'm finding it OK, just doing loads of papers including the older ones. I hope the 6 mark question is something on SHM, CM or momentum. The others tend to be quite hard concepts
Reply 2
Original post by areebmazhar
I'm finding it OK, just doing loads of papers including the older ones. I hope the 6 mark question is something on SHM, CM or momentum. The others tend to be quite hard concepts

The 6 mark questions in past papers are:

Specimen - SHM
Jan 10 - Transformers
Jun 10 - Momentum
Jan 11 - Capacitors
Jun 11 - Electricity

There could be a question on fields this time, since it hasn't come up before.

Original post by nexl
The 6 mark questions in past papers are:

Specimen - SHM
Jan 10 - Transformers
Jun 10 - Momentum
Jan 11 - Capacitors
Jun 11 - Electricity

There could be a question on fields this time, since it hasn't come up before.

I've not started on the new spec papers yet, but I'm surprised they had 6 marks on transformers! I'm sure there wasn't much in the book about them. I'm good at fields calculations, but not sure if I would have enough to write about 6 marks. How are you revising for this exam?
Reply 4
I've not started on the new spec papers yet, but I'm surprised they had 6 marks on transformers! I'm sure there wasn't much in the book about them. I'm good at fields calculations, but not sure if I would have enough to write about 6 marks. How are you revising for this exam?

I'm just answering summary questions/exam-style questions from the text book and doing past papers at the moment.
Reply 5
i hate the multiple choice for this exam :frown: its hard to find where your going wrong aswell as the mark scheme just says the letter!!!!

and some of them take a while aswell, so easy to get bogged down on them!
Original post by Sam-8

Original post by Sam-8
i hate the multiple choice for this exam :frown: its hard to find where your going wrong aswell as the mark scheme just says the letter!!!!

I love them, much better than the proper written papers :smile: although I do lose the odd mark on them, by falling into traps
Reply 7
Hi

Anyone got any useful tips for unit 4 revision
Any revision guides or websites
I think im gonna struggle on multi choice Q's
Hi,

Does anyone know/have a link for any animations for generators, in particular the DC generator as it is kind of hard to visualise.
I've Googled a few but I didn't find them very useful so if anyone has any it would be great.
Or if someone feels they can explain it that would be great too!

Infact animations would be pretty useful for alot of the topics in A2 Physics!
Reply 9
Does anyone have any links to topics regarding Unit 4?
Original post by --NWzD9--
Does anyone have any links to topics regarding Unit 4?

Original post by DepressedMed
Hi,

Does anyone know/have a link for any animations for generators, in particular the DC generator as it is kind of hard to visualise.
I've Googled a few but I didn't find them very useful so if anyone has any it would be great.
Or if someone feels they can explain it that would be great too!

Infact animations would be pretty useful for alot of the topics in A2 Physics!

Original post by mk207
Hi

Anyone got any useful tips for unit 4 revision
Any revision guides or websites
I think im gonna struggle on multi choice Q's

Original post by nexl

This website explains everything in unit 4, magentic, grav. and electric fields. SHM, circular motion, momentum etc.
The link is to a start of a video on electromagnetic induction all that AC, faradays, lenz's law etc. Explained really well too.
Hope it helps :smile:

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/magnetism-9--electric-motors?playlist=Physics
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Can u post a link !!!
Original post by mk207

Original post by mk207
Can u post a link !!!

Woops!
Just edited other post
Reply 13
Thanks alot !!
BTW how u finding Unit 4 ??
Original post by mk207

Original post by mk207
Thanks alot !!
BTW how u finding Unit 4 ??

It's ok, being doing the old papers and starting the recent ones tomorrow. I usually score full marks on multiple choice, but I'm a bit weak on the written paper. I'm dreading the 6 mark mini-essay :frown:
Wbu?
Reply 15
to be honest i think im gona struggle with most of it :frown:
I understand some Q's but struggle with multi choice !!!
yh dont like 6 mark question !!

where do u get old papers from ??
Reply 16
I HATE this module - re-sitting having got an E last time :frown:

Original post by Sam-8

I find the multiple choice the hard part too! And yes the mark schemes are rather poor in that regard. However, if you look at the exam report for the past paper then it goes through the multiple choice in a bit more detail :smile: (Also it can help you predict what will come up on future exams :wink:)
Original post by mk207

Original post by mk207
to be honest i think im gona struggle with most of it :frown:
I understand some Q's but struggle with multi choice !!!
yh dont like 6 mark question !!

where do u get old papers from ??

http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/
go to the exams section and scroll down to a-levels.
Our teacher told us the multiple choice questions get continuously recycled through the years and this is very true. Some people in last year who did the past spec papers, on real exam multiple choice, they hads seen nearly half the questions before, so they already had half the marks without any work. That's probably my best tip
Reply 18
http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/
go to the exams section and scroll down to a-levels.
Our teacher told us the multiple choice questions get continuously recycled through the years and this is very true. Some people in last year who did the past spec papers, on real exam multiple choice, they hads seen nearly half the questions before, so they already had half the marks without any work. That's probably my best tip

Thanks for help
This website explains everything in unit 4, magentic, grav. and electric fields. SHM, circular motion, momentum etc.
The link is to a start of a video on electromagnetic induction all that AC, faradays, lenz's law etc. Explained really well too.
Hope it helps :smile:

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/magnetism-9--electric-motors?playlist=Physics

I know Sal is great but I couldn't find anything on D.C Generators, that's what I was mainly looking for, I wanted an animation that worked well for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending