The Student Room Group

AQA A Physics Unit 4 24th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Thanks dude, you make it look so easy :tongue:
Hii physics people!! :biggrin:

Major stressing over this exam... A2 feels wayy harder than last year :s-smilie:
I was wondering if anyone had something like a 'key facts' document or something..?? I'm just trying to find something that summarises the really inportant bits into bullet points or short sections... everything I'm finding seems to just have about 30 pages full of long-winded explanations! :tongue:

on the specification under simple harmonic motion it says "variation of Ek, Ep and total energy with displacement, and with time". what would the variation with time be?
Reply 123
Original post by schizopear
on the specification under simple harmonic motion it says "variation of Ek, Ep and total energy with displacement, and with time". what would the variation with time be?

I answered a question incorrectly earlier in this thread relating to energy against time.

Well, kinetic energy as I'm sure you are aware of is 12mv2\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2. Since v=±2πfA2x2v = \pm 2\pi f \sqrt{A^2 - x^2}, with some fiddling around, you end up with:

Ek=2mπ2f2A2sin2(2πft)E_k = 2m\pi^2f^2A^2\sin^2 (2\pi ft)

So, this yields that:

Eksin2(ωt)E_k \propto \sin^2 (\omega t)

You can similarly deduce that:

Epcos2(ωt)E_p \propto \cos^2 (\omega t)

So when you're trying to sketch kinetic energy against time for instance, just draw a graph which resembles y=sin2(x)y = \sin^2 (x).
Original post by Femto
I answered a question incorrectly earlier in this thread relating to energy against time.

Well, kinetic energy as I'm sure you are aware of is 12mv2\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2. Since v=±2πfA2x2v = \pm 2\pi f \sqrt{A^2 - x^2}, with some fiddling around, you end up with:

So, this yields that:

You can similarly deduce that:

Epcos2(ωt)E_p \propto \cos^2 (\omega t)

So when you're trying to sketch kinetic energy against time for instance, just draw a graph which resembles y=sin2(x)y = \sin^2 (x).

Thankyou! :biggrin:
I understand how you got to
which led you to conclude that
since the constant k = 2m(pifA)^2
But how did u figure out that Epcos2(ωt)E_p \propto \cos^2 (\omega t)?? :confused:
Is electric potential a scalar or vector quantity?
Original post by jones_wise
Is electric potential a scalar or vector quantity?

Scalar :yy:
Original post by don'tTRIP.
Scalar :yy:

Thank you!
No horsepower questions and this should hopefully be a ok paper considering AQA have made papers much harder so far this Jan.
Reply 129
I have a question about circular motion.

For a particle moving in a circle with uniform speed, why is it's kinetic energy constant but its momentum is not?
Original post by m1a1tank

For a particle moving in a circle with uniform speed, why is it's kinetic energy constant but its momentum is not?

I was wondering that too the other day decided to do the chapter again and found that speed is constant but velocity isn't therefore momentum isn't.
Reply 131
Original post by m1a1tank

momentum is a vector but kinetic energy is a scalar

v is constantly changing but the speed is constant :smile:
Reply 132
Aaargh, I am so not ready for this exam. I've been going through the book revising, and we did a past paper on tuesday in lesson which our teacher marked, and I only got 40% on multiple choice, and even less on the written. I revise things, and understand things when i'm revising but I just confuse things between topics, and I don't know what equations go with what topic, especially the ones not on the formula sheet. And if the 6 mark question is on SHM I will just get up and walk out the room.
hey comrads. has anyone done the isa this year on damped oscillations in a u shaped water column? we have it this monday. really need help
Reply 135

have u got the paper?
Reply 136
Original post by Quornslice
Aaargh, I am so not ready for this exam. I've been going through the book revising, and we did a past paper on tuesday in lesson which our teacher marked, and I only got 40% on multiple choice, and even less on the written. I revise things, and understand things when i'm revising but I just confuse things between topics, and I don't know what equations go with what topic, especially the ones not on the formula sheet. And if the 6 mark question is on SHM I will just get up and walk out the room.

I know exactly how you feel, we had a mock test recently and i got a U!! I generally undersand the individual units but once they're altogether in a paper I just get so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 137
Original post by arnab
have u got the paper?

In the link http://www.physicsteachers.com/A%20level/A2%20Physics/A2%20Section.html
Click on the links in 'December Mock Section A and Section B & Mark Scheme'
Anybody know what raw mark out of 75 will get you full ums?
Original post by Jian_Earle
Anybody know what raw mark out of 75 will get you full ums?

Normally it's in the 60s.. So far its only been in the mid-60s but depends on the grade boundaries! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending