The Student Room Group

Not doing A2 and doing apprenticeship instead (national grid)

Im really thinking about finishing AS and then dropping out to do a engineering apprenticeship with the national grid,
I'm not really wanting to do university and not enjoying my A-Levels very much, this apprenticeship seems perfect for me, it requires 5 gcse A*-C in certain subjects which i have all at grade b and 1 c, and i think i would really enjoy it, do you think it would be worth it and do you think i could get into this apprenticeship with these grades bearing in mind i haven't very much at all extra curricular.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh it's also perfect for me location wise, it's good pay 14,500 while doing apprenticeship, once done starting wage of 23,000, i think it's a great oppurtunity
Reply 2
In terms of salary, a proper engineer (not the ones that fix boilers) get paid up to 60k+ a year.
But that all depends on your math skills and your hard work and determination. I think that you should just continue with your A levels regardless of the fact that your not interested in university . Having A levels is far better than a couple of A*-C GCSEs in my opinion.

The rest is up to you.
Reply 3
Original post by star10159
In terms of salary, a proper engineer (not the ones that fix boilers) get paid up to 60k+ a year.
But that all depends on your math skills and your hard work and determination. I think that you should just continue with your A levels regardless of the fact that your not interested in university . Having A levels is far better than a couple of A*-C GCSEs in my opinion.

The rest is up to you.

but i kinda feel like im not going to do well with them as though it's a waste of 2 years if i don't do well which tbh i don't think i will, thats why i though apprenticiship it could get me straight in to a job i want to be in.
Reply 4
Original post by AmyTownshend
but i kinda feel like im not going to do well with them as though it's a waste of 2 years if i don't do well which tbh i don't think i will, thats why i though apprenticiship it could get me straight in to a job i want to be in.

Well that is something only you can decide. This might sound a bit cliche but, Follow you heart. :smile:

And just a quick question, DID you actually get this apprenticeship or you have to apply and there is a chance that you might not get it?
Reply 5
Well that is something only you can decide. This might sound a bit cliche but, Follow you heart. :smile:

And just a quick question, DID you actually get this apprenticeship or you have to apply and there is a chance that you might not get it?

I have applied and would love to get it, just wondering if it would be worth it to drop A2 over.
Reply 6
Are you guaranteed a job at the end of it?

£14.5k a year is an amazing wage considering you'd only be an apprentice, and considering you qualify while earning and then earn £23k a year to start off with, I'd honestly go for it if you know you're not very into academia and there's a job guaranteed at the end. Engineers are always going to be in demand, and with professional qualifications, doing something you enjoy, I see no reason why not to do an apprenticeship :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by kerily
Are you guaranteed a job at the end of it?

£14.5k a year is an amazing wage considering you'd only be an apprentice, and considering you qualify while earning and then earn £23k a year to start off with, I'd honestly go for it if you know you're not very into academia and there's a job guaranteed at the end. Engineers are always going to be in demand, and with professional qualifications, doing something you enjoy, I see no reason why not to do an apprenticeship :smile:

thats what i was thinking im 95% sure theres a job guarenteed at the end besides why would they state that, and even if i wouldn't get a job with them i'm pretty sure it would open more career oppurtunities
Im really thinking about finishing AS and then dropping out to do a engineering apprenticeship with the national grid,
I'm not really wanting to do university and not enjoying my A-Levels very much, this apprenticeship seems perfect for me, it requires 5 gcse A*-C in certain subjects which i have all at grade b and 1 c, and i think i would really enjoy it, do you think it would be worth it and do you think i could get into this apprenticeship with these grades bearing in mind i haven't very much at all extra curricular.

If you arent really enjoying your a-levels,and dont feel you will get anywhere with them, then id go for it. If you are guaranteed a job at the end of it then id deffinately go for it, as there arent many jobs at the minute, plus the money seems good too.
Reply 9
thats what i was thinking im 95% sure theres a job guarenteed at the end besides why would they state that, and even if i wouldn't get a job with them i'm pretty sure it would open more career oppurtunities

I'd check about the job - and if the job isn't guaranteed, then check what percentage of people get relevant employment after doing the qualification. See if you can talk to someone who's working as an engineer, too, to check that the professional qualifications you'd be doing would actually qualify you to work as an engineer. But provided that was all ok, I'd go for it :yep:

After doing a degree
Then post grad
Then three or four years experience
Then becoming chartered
Then another 10 years experience on top of that.

Whats not listed on a lot of these big firms websites is that if you do well, on the level 3 they put you through higher education. Ive got a friend who`s doing a foundation degree funded by BMW. All the time getting 25k a year. Not bad!

The Npower apprenticeship scheme is top notch as well. There may be local place that does a scheme too, local to me is CCFE (Jet torus project). That sorta thing.

Stay way from small companies. When they don't have enough work on they will make up any reason to get rid of you Eg. "You arn`t making enough progress in the workshop" Happened to a mate of mine.
Original post by Sam Walters
After doing a degree
Then post grad
Then three or four years experience
Then becoming chartered
Then another 10 years experience on top of that.

Whats not listed on a lot of these big firms websites is that if you do well, on the level 3 they put you through higher education. Ive got a friend who`s doing a foundation degree funded by BMW. All the time getting 25k a year. Not bad!

The Npower apprenticeship scheme is top notch as well. There may be local place that does a scheme too, local to me is CCFE (Jet torus project). That sorta thing.

Stay way from small companies. When they don't have enough work on they will make up any reason to get rid of you Eg. "You arn`t making enough progress in the workshop" Happened to a mate of mine.

It's not always about the money. it's about what you love to do. For me, It's science.I would love to go through higher education, learn and discover about the wonders of science.
Reply 12
You should follow your heart, really. Plus you can always go to university some time in the future if you decide you want to go, you don't have to go at 18, you might even get it paid for by your employer like my friend is....
Hey, have you applied for the apprenticeship yet? I really want to do the Gas apprenticeship with them. I would like to do the electrical one, but all that climbing up pylons scares the hell out of me lol.

Worried about the maths side too, I had applied for an apprenticeship (MOD) before I went to uni and I failed the aptitude maths test :/

Also, what AS levels are you doing?
Bear in mind that the competition for these apprenticeships is fierce. Companies like national grid can have loads of applications for just a few positions. I would try and find other companies (e.g. Rolls Royce), which offer apprenticeships and apply for a few of them. If all fails, I would just carry on with college and reapply when you have your A levels.
Reply 16
Original post by 331sam331
Also, what AS levels are you doing?

physics, chemistry, history a2 maths
Reply 17
Original post by Mindbodyspirit
Bear in mind that the competition for these apprenticeships is fierce. Companies like national grid can have loads of applications for just a few positions. I would try and find other companies (e.g. Rolls Royce), which offer apprenticeships and apply for a few of them. If all fails, I would just carry on with college and reapply when you have your A levels.

yeah i thought about that i'm going to apply to quite a few different companies as well.
Reply 18
You can get on to much better apprenticeships if you have a levels and start higher on the ladder with more money. If you have the resources and brains, do the a levels which also buy you time to plan your apprenticeship.

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just wondered if you went for the apprenticeship with National Grid?

I am applying for a position now. Kind of feel like I shouldn't bother though because the other people applying are proabably way smarter :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending