The Student Room Group

A2 Sociology OCR G673 - Mass Media

Scroll to see replies

Well id say, Violence on Tv, to a certain extent Media representations of ethnicity, gender class disability sexuality etc., selection + presentation im okay with ownership and control i could write an essay about - its more theorist perspectives like Marxism + Pluralism + Cultural Pessemists + Neophiliacs, Interactionists + Postmodernism i need to touch up on. I mean i could probably write about a paragraph on each of them but thats about it. So i think i need to look over them, and im really not confident on Popular culture, globalisation and to a lesser extent the new media. But i need to work on my exam technique - got too much AO1 and not enough AO2 (analysis).

Hope i can brush up in time for the exam...... How about you, what are you confident about?
Reply 21
Original post by imasupercoolgeek
Oh my word that would be so great if you could do that!
And with postmodernism, our teacher said it is very similar to pluralist so we usually combine the two of them and for the media representations of age, gender, class and ethnicity our teacher said that if that topic comes up, it will be social class. He used to be a OCR marker and said that they have done questions on all but class. He said he doubts that topic will come up at all as its been on the last 2 however if it does he said it will be Social Class. And in regards to sociologist, obviously Stuart Hall would be one (1981)- how blacks have 3 main stereotypes= the black, the native and the slave.
Devereux (2008)- working class has two main categories of stereotypes, the 'happy' and 'deserving' poor people.

Do you have any?

Ooohhhh that's weird, but I guess that works :smile:

Okay, here's the exact question my teacher said he thinks is gonna be on the exam "outline and asses Neo-Marxist explanations of the ownership and control of the media"

No idea if he's right, but it's worth writing it I guess :P

He's also given us some "hot topics" which he thinks might well also come up which are: fast/immediate; slow/gradual models (so the hypodermic needle, drip drip stuff), wider issues (moral panics, globalisation) and research methods

If those come up I'll be so happy :')

We have Hall and Devereaux too, but we also have:
Jhally and Lewis - studied American TV over 20 yeas, 90% of characters are middle class
Medhurst - m/c students watching underclass shows thought they were an accurate representation rather than a comedy
Dodd and Dodd - soaps show traditional w/c and close knit communities as facing changes (eg multi-ethnic communities
Golding + Middleton - poor are represented in a negative way when issues of benefits are combined with crime and fraud

P.S, sorry for keep quoting you, it's the only way I'll answer everything though :biggrin:

P.P.S, your notes would be so so so so so awesome :smile:. if you want i can find moment to scan my mindmaps onto my computer and email them?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Romerohousecaptain
Well id say, Violence on Tv, to a certain extent Media representations of ethnicity, gender class disability sexuality etc., selection + presentation im okay with ownership and control i could write an essay about - its more theorist perspectives like Marxism + Pluralism + Cultural Pessemists + Neophiliacs, Interactionists + Postmodernism i need to touch up on. I mean i could probably write about a paragraph on each of them but thats about it. So i think i need to look over them, and im really not confident on Popular culture, globalisation and to a lesser extent the new media. But i need to work on my exam technique - got too much AO1 and not enough AO2 (analysis).

Hope i can brush up in time for the exam...... How about you, what are you confident about?

i was confident...until you said all this stuff i don't understand ARGHHHHHHH :s-smilie:
Original post by Sarah'
Ooohhhh that's weird, but I guess that works :smile:

Okay, here's the exact question my teacher said he thinks is gonna be on the exam "outline and asses Neo-Marxist explanations of the ownership and control of the media"

No idea if he's right, but it's worth writing it I guess :P

He's also given us some "hot topics" which he thinks might well also come up which are: fast/immediate; slow/gradual models (so the hypodermic needle, drip drip stuff), wider issues (moral panics, globalisation) and research methods

If those come up I'll be so happy :')

We have Hall and Devereaux too, but we also have:
Jhally and Lewis - studied American TV over 20 yeas, 90% of characters are middle class
Medhurst - m/c students watching underclass shows thought they were an accurate representation rather than a comedy
Dodd and Dodd - soaps show traditional w/c and close knit communities as facing changes (eg multi-ethnic communities
Golding + Middleton - poor are represented in a negative way when issues of benefits are combined with crime and fraud

P.S, sorry for keep quoting you, it's the only way I'll answer everything though :biggrin:

OMG OMG OMG! That's the question my teacher gave us for a timed assignment and I got a B+ on it. I don't mind that one and the media effects one either! I love them both but I would love on on moral panics so much because I got an A on that :wink: However I dont want the research one because we are not doing that for some odd cause, perhaps because if we cover everything else we don't need to.

Yeah I forgot about Jhally and Lewis. But them other one's seems kind of beneficial however I dont seem to have that in the book we are given. What book do you use?

And that's okay :smile: It's good because I can actually know whether you replied or not :smile: I apologise like-wise :smile:

What topics would you want to come up the most? For me it would be media effects and moral panics the top two :smile: I would smash that exam and kill off the examiner by getting 100 UMS marks LOL!
Reply 24
OMG OMG OMG! That's the question my teacher gave us for a timed assignment and I got a B+ on it. I don't mind that one and the media effects one either! I love them both but I would love on on moral panics so much because I got an A on that :wink: However I dont want the research one because we are not doing that for some odd cause, perhaps because if we cover everything else we don't need to.

Yeah I forgot about Jhally and Lewis. But them other one's seems kind of beneficial however I dont seem to have that in the book we are given. What book do you use?

And that's okay :smile: It's good because I can actually know whether you replied or not :smile: I apologise like-wise :smile:

What topics would you want to come up the most? For me it would be media effects and moral panics the top two :smile: I would smash that exam and kill off the examiner by getting 100 UMS marks LOL!

we use the normal ocr sociology textbook, with the weird paperchain people on it. but he also uses just random things from his brain, so maybe that's where he got it from haha

ermmm, i'd want research methods (i also do psych so it makes it easier for me) and neo-marxist construction of the news. i'd be like, wooooo :biggrin:

but equally so, moral panics is a nice one :smile:. bit boring though aha
Original post by Sarah'
we use the normal ocr sociology textbook, with the weird paperchain people on it. but he also uses just random things from his brain, so maybe that's where he got it from haha

ermmm, i'd want research methods (i also do psych so it makes it easier for me) and neo-marxist construction of the news. i'd be like, wooooo :biggrin:

but equally so, moral panics is a nice one :smile:. bit boring though aha

I would cry if the research one is on because that means I have no choice but to do the other two :/ :/ however Im hoping that because research was on January 2010, they won't have it on this year :smile: Sorry if you oppose that view aha

what have you applied to do at uni? If you are going that is :smile:
Reply 26
I would cry if the research one is on because that means I have no choice but to do the other two :/ :/ however Im hoping that because research was on January 2010, they won't have it on this year :smile: Sorry if you oppose that view aha

what have you applied to do at uni? If you are going that is :smile:

i've applied to do psych and socio :P. wbu and where?

haha, i'll let you off :')
Original post by Sarah'
i've applied to do psych and socio :P. wbu and where?

haha, i'll let you off :')

thats awesome and ive applied to do law at Oxford Brookes, Reading, De Montfort and the other two are just to fill up spaces :smile: Where you applying?
Reply 28
thats awesome and ive applied to do law at Oxford Brookes, Reading, De Montfort and the other two are just to fill up spaces :smile: Where you applying?

oooohhh, i went with my friend to the law talk at oxford brookes, looked awesome!

glasgow, stirling, kent, oxford brookes and keele :smile:

have you got any offers?
Original post by Sarah'
oooohhh, i went with my friend to the law talk at oxford brookes, looked awesome!

glasgow, stirling, kent, oxford brookes and keele :smile:

have you got any offers?

thats awesome, I was there too :smile: must have made eye connection but didnt know who we were :smile:

and yeah i got an offer from oxford brookes for ABB which really got me buzzziiiinnnnnn :smile: you?
Reply 30
thats awesome, I was there too :smile: must have made eye connection but didnt know who we were :smile:

and yeah i got an offer from oxford brookes for ABB which really got me buzzziiiinnnnnn :smile: you?

haha, yeah :')

i've had 5 offers but i switched one for stirling so i'm waiting to hear back :smile:

is oxford brookes your favourite?
Original post by Sarah'
haha, yeah :')

i've had 5 offers but i switched one for stirling so i'm waiting to hear back :smile:

is oxford brookes your favourite?

yeah I prefer oxford brookes to the rest, even if i do get an offer from reading i can see myself going brookes to be honest :/ and i wanted to change, is that possible?
Reply 32
yeah I prefer oxford brookes to the rest, even if i do get an offer from reading i can see myself going brookes to be honest :/ and i wanted to change, is that possible?

if they changed their fee arrangements. that's how i did it

i liked the feel of it there, felt a bit homely :smile:
Original post by Sarah'
if they changed their fee arrangements. that's how i did it

i liked the feel of it there, felt a bit homely :smile:

oh no then :/ where is your favourite choice?
Reply 34
oh no then :/ where is your favourite choice?

no idea haha. glasgow on paper but i haven't seen it. so oxford brookes or keele atm :/
Original post by Sarah'
no idea haha. glasgow on paper but i haven't seen it. so oxford brookes or keele atm :/

oh cool.. anyways Sarah- message me or something yeah? Im going bed now, got a timed assignment tomorrow :smile: wish me lucckkkkkkk
Reply 36
You have to be detailed when explaining your theorists and your studies. A basic summary will not be enough for an A at A2 level. Remember you are marked out of 23 for AO1 and they want you to show 'excellent knowledge and understanding' with 'depth, detail and accuracy'. Plus, You MUST mention a strength of the studies/theories you mention as well as the weakness for evaluation. You have to do this continuously to get your evaluation marks. Get it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lostmoon9
You have to be detailed when explaining your theorists and your studies. A basic summary will not be enough for an A at A2 level. Remember you are marked out of 23 for AO1 and they want you to show 'excellent knowledge and understanding' with 'depth, detail and accuracy'. Plus, You MUST mention a strength of the studies/theories you mention as well as the weakness for evaluation. You have to do this continuously to get your evaluation marks. Get it?

hey i'm predicted an A* for A2 but i'm finding my revision really hard , soo far all tests we've done i've only managed to get Cs !! I just dont know how i'm supposed to get that A*... my main concern is how long should a 50 mark essay be ?...2 full sides or 3 full sides ?
i've only managed to do two full sides in time :/
Reply 38
At A2 level, they want you to think like a sociologist and write like one. So, I personally suggest 4-5 Pages and if the question specifically mentions a theorists - spend a page and a half talking about them and the studies within the theorists.
Original post by Lostmoon9
At A2 level, they want you to think like a sociologist and write like one. So, I personally suggest 4-5 Pages and if the question specifically mentions a theorists - spend a page and a half talking about them and the studies within the theorists.

:eek: u mean per essay question is about 4-5 pages !!!!! ????

Quick Reply

Latest