The Student Room Group

In your opinion, what's the worst thing about shopping?

Scroll to see replies

People. In my way, buying the item on the hanger when I desperately wanted it, shopping with my friends and they complain all the way round the shop, being dragged round a really boring shop by your friends. I prefer to shop solo.
Original post by Dastrea
i like shopping on the internet since the majority of things are cheaper, its easier to buy things and you don't need to waste time traveling!

I read this as actual 'time travelling' :colonhash:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
People. In my way, buying the item on the hanger when I desperately wanted it, shopping with my friends and they complain all the way round the shop, being dragged round a really boring shop by your friends. I prefer to shop solo.

SQUEE I made your sig. I owe you some rep in due course :biggrin:
other people.
Reply 104
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I read this as actual 'time travelling' :colonhash:

Yea, so did I when I reread it myself haha - Since you were the only one who replied with this, I want to rep you haha
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
SQUEE I made your sig. I owe you some rep in due course :biggrin:

You did. :biggrin: It has pride of place. Too good to miss out, really. I have a magnet with the original quote on my fridge. Hooray! Rep is always appreciated.
paranoia
1. Rude cashiers who think teenagers are all the same.
2. Shopping with someone who says they will just go in one shop and ends up dragging you the whole way around town, then not buying anything.
3. Queues!
4. Finding something really nice..., then you look at the price tag.
5. Finding something not in your size
6. When a relative likes the same item as you. Despite picking up the top first and making my way to the tills. My sister decided to run to the checkout and buy it first!
Reply 108
I can't stand shopping, the crowds, the way you go into the shop and you have the workers looking at you/pestering you.
The limited choice in the store and the way they are laid out.

I would go full on internet clothes shopping if I could be 100% sure they would fit when I got them, as I can fit in small/medium in some places, and I vary in jeans too.
Shopping for someone else.
Reply 110
Shopping with someone else. In this case my mum.
Original post by psychocustard
Jeans shopping. Trying to find a pair that doesn't make you look too fat/short and that aren't too long in the leg/too big in the waist and too small in the hips... Making sure they come up high enough on your body to be comfortable. Not being smothered in stitching on the back pockets... ARGH!

Same. I always end up going to TK maxx and buying levi's or calvin klein jeans because nothing from high street shops seems to look good on me : / I've got quite fat legs compared to the rest of my body so if the jeans are stretchy they just look horrendous. So frustrating. Wish they would just make normal jeans that aren't elastic and super skinny sometimes.
Also hate it when it's busy so I don't tend to bother going shopping when the sales are on. The bright lighting also makes me feel sick, which doesn't necessarily only apply to shopping but it tends to get the worst when I'm going around a load of shops with friend/family for ages. Nearly passed out once because of it. Got way too sensitive eyes :mad:
The people, and the crowds, and the sales. HATE sales. I hate how everyone goes mad in them and they'll shove you out of the way, they don't care who or what is in their way, they are getting to that sale. Then the women have to go through every single item on the rail. GRRRRR.
Original post by No Future
- Stores that 'don't do refunds' - I don't shop there, or very rarely. I'm looking at you, Office!
- Sales assistants who don't know the sale of goods act
- Sales assistants who think they're superior (esp in designer stores on on beauty counters). On £5 an hour? Don't think so.

While I'm sure you know about it yourself - conversely I find customers who think they know the sale of goods act or various other retail laws incredibly frustrating!
Original post by No Future
- Stores that 'don't do refunds' - I don't shop there, or very rarely. I'm looking at you, Office!

I was told they don't have to, unless the item is faulty.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Rude shop assistants. I realise they've probably had a rough day (who doesn't in retail!) but they shouldn't assume every customer is a complete ejit and even if the customer is they should be professional. A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' are really minimal service. I was in a well known card shop not so long ago and the assistant didn't even look at me when I paid - awful. When I worked in McDonalds in my first year of uni our manager would have a right go at us if we didn't greet the customer with a smile, a greeting of 'can I take your order please' - and a nice departing 'thankyou, enjoy your meal' and smile. It amazes me how posh department stores and respected shops have assistants who wouldn't even last a day employed in McDonalds and dare I say we had to put up with more **** (drunks, chavs, generally rude people) in a day at McD's than department store workers put up with in a whole month.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I too worked at mcdonalds a few years back (both full time and during my 1st year at uni) and it was at times bloody hard to keep a smile on but you do it out of professionalism. With regards to these stuffy sales assistants? they're the ones that end up looking down on us cause we worked at mcdonalds & they worked at nicer department stores (obviously making them oh so superior; your still a sales assistant!!). Makes me laugh, cause like you say, half of them wouldn't last a day
Original post by marmite on toast
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I too worked at mcdonalds a few years back (both full time and during my 1st year at uni) and it was at times bloody hard to keep a smile on but you do it out of professionalism. With regards to these stuffy sales assistants? they're the ones that end up looking down on us cause we worked at mcdonalds & they worked at nicer department stores (obviously making them oh so superior; your still a sales assistant!!). Makes me laugh, cause like you say, half of them wouldn't last a day

So true :yes:.
-Crowds
-Queues
-impulse buying or going shopping and buying every thing but what you intended to buy.
not knowing if I like it enough to buy it...
going to five different malls looking for that item and not being able to find it ... while also being unwilling to pay exorbitant online shipping fees >_<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending