The Student Room Group

Where has your modern foreign languages degree taken you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tefhel
The good thing about a language degree is that it leaves a lot of doors open, + will give you the added skill of a language (if you work hard at it). You aren't guided to any specific career, which is good in some ways, bad in others. If you decide, OK, I want to do XYZ after uni, then while you are at uni you can focus yourself towards that goal (as I am doing - getting experience etc). But you can just as easily drift through your course not getting any kind of work experience, skills etc. and then come out the other end with few prospects. (And I think this is the case for most arts degrees).

Thus I know people, from my uni who did my degree, who have gone straight into Investment Banking or Law, and others who are now working the tills at ASDA or Xmas temping at Debenhams. It's really down to you. Your degree matters far less than you.

Hi, I was just wondering what year of your degree you are currently doing? I say that because I am in first and a bit unsure about whether I should be looking for experience/internships just yet...but not really sure in what area. Thanks
Well I've yet to graduate, but my languages degree has allowed me to work as an entertainer in a maze in Spain, work in a university in central Mexico, and thanks to links with European universities I've now been given a post in a university in Brittany; with hopes to do a Master's soon. Never regretted my choice. :biggrin:
Original post by Hylean
I am currently doing a second BA in Iceland, one of the better regions for my preferred subject, and will be starting an MA in January, partially. I study in Icelandic, write most of my coursework and take most of my exams in Icelandic. It has helped me get freelance work as a translator and work my way slowly into Icelandic society, where most Icelanders treat me differently because of my ability to speak their language.

Why?

Btw, where is the translation society?
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Btw, where is the translation society?

If you mean the TSR translation crew: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=54

The lost in translation thread is here.
Original post by hannah_dru
If you mean the TSR translation crew: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=54

Thanks! :smile:

I could not avoid looking at your sig. 1st class. :O
So you translate from/to English from/to German?
What is the Christopher Upward prize? And the John Stagg?
Last question :tongue: do you work as translator? freelance? how is the pay rate? difficult to get in? manage to deal with workload? social life?
Arigatou gozaimasu! :wink:

I could not avoid looking at your sig. 1st class. :O
So you translate from/to English from/to German?
What is the Christopher Upward prize? And the John Stagg?
Last question :tongue: do you work as translator? freelance? how is the pay rate? difficult to get in? manage to deal with workload? social life?
Arigatou gozaimasu! :wink:

I translate the other way, from German into English :smile:
The Christopher Upward prize is for the oustanding performance in Translation Studies and the John Stagg one is for outstanding performance in a German written paper.
I work as a translator/proofreader/interpreter now. The pay rate isn't as high as a lot of people think but I can get by on it. I think it depends on who you apply to as to how difficult it is to get in as companies have different standards. I found it difficult to cope with the workload when I was an intern but now it's no problem and I can have a social life on top. From what I've found out it looks like companies/freelancers have different workloads though and some are a lot smaller than others. Hope that helps :smile:
Ooo Japanese :biggrin:
Reply 26
I am still at university but after graduation I plan on training to become an English teacher.

Ironically I did French because I wanted to have more choices after I graduate, and it turns out I'm going into an area where it isn't going to be needed at all!
I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but I have to say, I am looking to study Spanish and German at uni and I am also called Helzz Belzz :') (Well, my name is Helen but people call me that, plus Helz, Bellzy, Bells etc.)

Good luck with this, I find languages so fascinating too and it's interesting to read people's replies :smile:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but have you looked into language facilities at uni? My uni has a language centre which costs £130 per semester per course to study OUTSIDE your assigned credits. On completion of level 6 you are deemed fluent and given a CertHE. That way you can get a degree in 'something useful' and pursue your passion.

EDIT: I put 'something useful' like that for a reason; because it's subjective. At least reply if you're going to neg rep me. This seems to be the only real win-win solution so far.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Tefhel
The good thing about a language degree is that it leaves a lot of doors open, + will give you the added skill of a language (if you work hard at it). You aren't guided to any specific career, which is good in some ways, bad in others. If you decide, OK, I want to do XYZ after uni, then while you are at uni you can focus yourself towards that goal (as I am doing - getting experience etc). But you can just as easily drift through your course not getting any kind of work experience, skills etc. and then come out the other end with few prospects. (And I think this is the case for most arts degrees).

Thus I know people, from my uni who did my degree, who have gone straight into Investment Banking or Law, and others who are now working the tills at ASDA or Xmas temping at Debenhams. It's really down to you. Your degree matters far less than you.

I agree, and I think it's exactly this problem that UK arts degree courses will increasingly face as more and more people are forced to weigh up the situation of today's job market and the absurdly high cost of going to university in the UK nowadays with the added-value that going to university actually provides.

The reality is that an arts degree adds next to no value, so when it comes to stepping out of the university bubble 3 or 4 years down the line there is every possibility that you will be exactly (if not even less so in light of the number of companies offering direct post-A-level entry now) as employable as you were before. The potential to gain value from societies, sports, meeting new people, time spent abroad and most importantly (I cannot stress this enough) eligibility for corporate internship schemes - everything that any degree course offers - is very valuable, of course. But as far as most companies are concerned, the ability to talk about Italian literature in the middle ages really is as useful to them as a degree in hand puppets.

Everyone is of course different and I wouldn't want anyone to base their decision on somebody else's, but I strongly advise anyone considering university to look at the sort of companies you might like to work for now (three years will not be long enough to work out what you want to do) and try to identify how you can best equip yourself with the skills that will enable them to fit you into their firm.

There are now a number of universities that offer integrated business/engineering courses with languages (I think part of the business course at Bath is taught in the language you're studying). If you have an aptitude for languages something like this would set you up very well for whatever you decide to embark on in the future.
(edited 12 years ago)
I translate the other way, from German into English :smile:
The Christopher Upward prize is for the oustanding performance in Translation Studies and the John Stagg one is for outstanding performance in a German written paper.
I work as a translator/proofreader/interpreter now. The pay rate isn't as high as a lot of people think but I can get by on it. I think it depends on who you apply to as to how difficult it is to get in as companies have different standards. I found it difficult to cope with the workload when I was an intern but now it's no problem and I can have a social life on top. From what I've found out it looks like companies/freelancers have different workloads though and some are a lot smaller than others. Hope that helps :smile:
Ooo Japanese :biggrin:

Hi, it's me again. I have a couple of questions for you. :smile:

1st: Are you freelance?

2nd: Can you sustain yourself with your actual job?

3rd: Translator/Interpreter where is easier to get in?

4th: Translator. Is knowing 2 languages minimum? Does knowing (I don't mean grasping, I mean knowing) 3 languages make me stand out more than knowing 2?

5th: Pay rate is it enough for you to live by yourself?

6th: Don't answer if you don't want. :tongue: You studied translation studies, (at Aston?) When did you get your first job related to translation?

Note: I am highly interested in translation (more than interpretation but I would not mind doing being an interpreter if I could also work as translator). I like writing and translating stuff. Please advise. Thanks! :smile:

Another question, which is better for languages, Aston or SOAS?
My languages are English and Spanish. Japanese is optional (I have years ahead of me till I become something near fluent).

Hi, it's me again. I have a couple of questions for you. :smile:

1st: Are you freelance?

2nd: Can you sustain yourself with your actual job?

3rd: Translator/Interpreter where is easier to get in?

4th: Translator. Is knowing 2 languages minimum? Does knowing (I don't mean grasping, I mean knowing) 3 languages make me stand out more than knowing 2?

5th: Pay rate is it enough for you to live by yourself?

6th: Don't answer if you don't want. :tongue: You studied translation studies, (at Aston?) When did you get your first job related to translation?

Note: I am highly interested in translation (more than interpretation but I would not mind doing being an interpreter if I could also work as translator). I like writing and translating stuff. Please advise. Thanks! :smile:

Another question, which is better for languages, Aston or SOAS?
My languages are English and Spanish. Japanese is optional (I have years ahead of me till I become something near fluent).

Sorry this reply is so late, I left here for a while and just logged on to see what's going on.

1) No, I've always worked for an agency. Daren't go freelance yet!

2) So far I've been ok, but it's not a brilliantly paid sector to work in. I think it also depends on what kind of texts you translate as some fields pay more than others.

3) I think both would be just as hard as the other tbh. I had to do entry tests for my current job and I get the impression that to be an interpreter that organisations would prefer multiple languages.

4) I think it depends on what languages they are and where you're applying to but you do have an advantage knowing more than one and you may get more work.

5) Depends on if you go freelance or not and how much the agency would pay if you worked for one. I'm on a tight budget but I can just about manage.

6) I worked as an intern in Germany for my placement year (studied at Aston). I got my first (on my second now) permanent translation job with the same company as they offered me a full-time position when I graduated.

On the whole I love translating, it's a fun job :smile: Maybe you could try an internship and see what kind of doors it opened up?

I don't know anything about SOAS unfortunately.
Reply 33
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
X

I know this is kind of late, but I found this website today, and found it VERY HELPFUL: http://www.thirdyearabroad.com/graduates

^ Basically, it's a bunch of case studies of MFL graduates, and what they're now doing!
I'm a first year at Aberystwyth doing French. Has anyone qualified to teach French here or do TEFL in a francophone country? Both are avenues i'm considering doing for the year abroad, as well as after university
Reply 35
2) So far I've been ok, but it's not a brilliantly paid sector to work in. I think it also depends on what kind of texts you translate as some fields pay more than others.

Ever thought about interpreting for the EU? They pay very well - I think staff interpreters there start off at around 4,000 euros a month. Apparently, they have quite a severe shortage of native English speakers.
Original post by jaxxa
Ever thought about interpreting for the EU? They pay very well - I think staff interpreters there start off at around 4,000 euros a month. Apparently, they have quite a severe shortage of native English speakers.

I much prefer translation tbh, I found interpreting very difficult!
Reply 37
Original post by -raisa
I know this is kind of late, but I found this website today, and found it VERY HELPFUL: http://www.thirdyearabroad.com/graduates

^ Basically, it's a bunch of case studies of MFL graduates, and what they're now doing!

Thanks for the link, it looks really interesting :smile:

OP, I haven't graduated yet but my languages degree (Spanish and German) has already led to me having some the best experiences of my life. For example, I spent 6 months on an intensive German course in Mainz and 5 months working as a proofreader in Alicante and the people I met and the things I saw were just incredible.

After graduating, I'm desperate to go abroad again so I'm planning on teaching English for a few years and travelling the world then coming back to Manchester, working as teaching assistant for children with special needs whilst volunteering and finally doing a Masters in Speech and Language Therapy. That's the plan anyway although I know nothing ever works out as you plan!

It sounds like you would enjoy a languages degree a lot more than a science degree and although the amount of options you have afterwards can be overwhelming - I felt a bit lost in this sense too and only decided what I wanted to do a few months ago - you will have more time to decide on what you want to do and your year abroad will give you a taste of what you want to do and what you don't want to do while giving you valuable experience at the same time (another added bonus of a languages degree).

You could eventually go into translating, interpreting, teaching (English abroad or MFL in the UK), working for international companies in import/export or marketing, global recruitment, publishing, editing, proof-reading or apply for graduate level jobs in business/human resources etc. You could also do an MA in a related field and go into academia or do a conversion course for Law. The world is your oyster :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by alexs2602
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but have you looked into language facilities at uni? My uni has a language centre which costs £130 per semester per course to study OUTSIDE your assigned credits. On completion of level 6 you are deemed fluent and given a CertHE. That way you can get a degree in 'something useful' and pursue your passion.

EDIT: I put 'something useful' like that for a reason; because it's subjective. At least reply if you're going to neg rep me. This seems to be the only real win-win solution so far.

The year abroad is invaluable, doing a small course is nothing compared to a degree. It's all about interests - a degree lets you explore history, politics, linguistics, literature, film and many more areas. A small course will focus on purely language.

Why don't you do something useful and do maths in your free time rather than wasting several years on a pointless degree? :rolleyes:
Original post by Gales
The year abroad is invaluable, doing a small course is nothing compared to a degree. It's all about interests - a degree lets you explore history, politics, linguistics, literature, film and many more areas. A small course will focus on purely language.

Why don't you do something useful and do maths in your free time rather than wasting several years on a pointless degree? :rolleyes:

Fail, if you're going to try to insult me at least hit me where it might hurt. I've nothing against languages, I love them in fact but you trying to insult the usefulness of maths is laughable. There are so many applications of maths I'm spoilt for choice. Maths is in the building blocks of the world/universe. It's everywhere. Also I never said languages were pointless, but if you had bothered to read you'd know that.

Isn't that what OP wanted? I can't remember. I thought they wanted to learn at least the language side. You can take a year abroad in a lot of courses/unis, not just language degrees; point? And to add to that I don't do a language course, as you know, it was just an idea. So stop acting like I should know better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending