The Student Room Group
Reply 1
When? Where? How? Why?
Reply 2
Wow, great news

^^^same q's!
Reply 3
That must have been wicked, he is the pimp of History it has to be said! Check this pic of him out:
Reply 4
hehe my history teacher loves him! why you meet him? that's your new claim to fame!
Reply 5
LMAO loving the description of him as 'pimp of history'!!!

There was a history conference in London yesterday - ws pretty gd!

David Starkey's car number plate is Henry VIII themed. Buff ting!
Reply 6
My friend went on that yesterday and met Starkey - and our history teacher bombarded him with questions. He's in love with him. Last year when I went on that conference he stood in front of Starkey's car and asked for a photograph. :rolleyes:
I don't personally like Starkey; he is a right-wing nutcase and hugely arrogant. My history teacher was taught by him at the LSE. He didn't care about teaching and would frequently spend tutorials on the phone talking about his next tv programme or something similar.
Reply 8
My History teacher was an undergrad at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge when Starkey was doing his PHD. Funny stories.
Reply 9
Panda - aaaaahhh so it was your history teacher! Crazy! Yes, I think we all did the photo in front of the car, then Starkey drove off waving regally.

JSM - What's wrong with being right - wing?
TakeshiFan
JSM - What's wrong with being right - wing?

There is nothing wrong with being right wing, there is a difference though between being right wing and a total nutcase :P: .
Reply 11
What a legend. He reminds me of my History teacher so much (apart from the glasses). Is he a lecturer at any University?
Reply 12
I don't know if he is still at LSE, my business teachers daughter used to go for dinner around his house with other students!
Reply 13
Interesting comments!

Was this a general history conference you went to?
Interesting to read people's comments...I think it's certainly true to say that he isn't widely respected in all academic circles *mentioning no names* :-p However, he shouldn't just be seen as a tv historian. Read 'Representation through intimacy: A study in the symbolism of monarchy and Court office in early modern England' and enjoy. :-p
Reply 15
I quite enjoyed Starkey's biography of Elizabeth I. Good read, if you want to broaded your knowledge on an interesting British monarch :smile:
Reply 16
Pandy ( and others)...fair do s about the book on Elizabeth...and he's a great historian, but....he reallly really scares me when he gets a bit too sensational and excited when he describes Thomas Seymour molesting the young Elizabeth I in his video...he just seems to enjoy it too much. Not accusing him of anything...just saying that he's not MY cup of tea...
Reply 17
JohnStuartMill
I don't personally like Starkey; he is a right-wing nutcase and hugely arrogant. My history teacher was taught by him at the LSE. He didn't care about teaching and would frequently spend tutorials on the phone talking about his next tv programme or something similar.

Hugely arrogant I agree.

But still a good historian.
Reply 18
White_redrose
Interesting to read people's comments...I think it's certainly true to say that he isn't widely respected in all academic circles *mentioning no names* :-p However, he shouldn't just be seen as a tv historian. Read 'Representation through intimacy: A study in the symbolism of monarchy and Court office in early modern England' and enjoy. :-p

You're an Elton fan though :p:
Socrates
You're an Elton fan though :p:

Elton is a dude.

Latest

Trending

Trending