The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zangoose
For me, it has to be History without a doubt... Without travelling far and wide to pointlessly study it in university, all you'd really need to do is:

Write essays - I have a pen and paper, and a laptop to type documents
Read books - I'll get those from my local library which is a 5 minute bus journey. If I need extra books, I'll go on Ebay or Amazon
Field trips - Visit a few places related to whatever you're studying

These are all things you can do in your local town without spending a few grand on tuition fees. In an academic sense, why spend years in university accumulating vast amounts of student debt which you'll never pay back because there's no hope of getting a decent job with that degree?
I could get a Ph.D level of knowledge in the Crusades by sitting in my living room/study/bedroom and reading copious amounts of material related to the topic over a few years.
History is a subject for the rich, pompous, middle-class scholars who didn't know what to do with their hefty parental allowance so they blew it all on pointless tuition fees for that pointless degree.
People studying History generally have nothing better to do than to loaf around sipping tea, nibbling crumpets and having senseless arguments about the most pointless and outdated events which have long since been swept under the rug by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Guy with common sense: Hi, what are you studying?
History student: History, you?
Guy with common sense: Psh... History? Well then, let's hope you're not living in a skip by the time you find out who killed the Princes in the Tower

Edit: (Negged by butt-hurt History students who can't face the truth)

Sociology. Its alright at A levels but at University it's just long. Sociologists try to make something out of nothing alot of the time. They chat so much ****. Its basically all talk. They don't make any real discovers.

P.S I do sociology because I flopped. Anyone who considers taking this at degree level - dont.
Reply 21
Original post by kat2pult
Can you do a stained glass window? Do you know how to cut the glass, put the pieces together safely and securely? Create patterns and designs using the right colours and inks/paints? Do you know about what time period each stained glass comes from? Thought not. As I said earlier, every degree has a use.

I'm sorry it's ridiculous. That's like giving someone a degree in hairdressing. I'm in no way discrediting either trade. To do either I'm sure takes lot of training and hard work and by no means am I saying that anyone could anyone do them. But IMO they do not warrant the title of degrees.
Reply 22
Someone had to say it: Media Studies.

(Kidding, I'm in the 'no degree is useless' camp!)
Reply 23
History is not a useless degree. It teaches you the skills that are useful for future jobs. I would get a reality check If I were you.
I think if we're going to talk about useless degrees then history is fairly safe to be honest, surely if history is useless then that means english literature is useless too?
I agree they probably aren't AS useful as something like medicine or genetics but they are still useful. Middlesex offers BA jewellery and accessories. Fashion is fair enough but in my opinion a degree specifically in jewellery and accessories is just taking it way too far! This is the trouble of not having polytechnics anymore. People get pointless degrees where some kind of evening classes or workshops or something would surely be quite sufficient training in that area for any career path they'd like to do in it. Golf course management is a good example. Surfing is another silly one.

I think it does affect other people in terms of stupid pointless student debts that are unlikely to ever be paid off. If a student loan isn't paid off after so many years then it get's cancelled.
Where do these nitwits with their surfing or golf degrees think their loan comes from? and who do they think will be negatively affected by it's cancellation.

But this is assuming that people use their degrees. Believe it or not there are actually women who spend like 4-6 years at university, come out with a masters or even as a doctor, get married, have babies and never actually hold down a job. Therefore they have no salary and they aren't legally obliged to pay off their student debts. I've only known women to do this sort of thing but I'm sure there are men that come out of uni and don't bother getting a job. These aren't all people with silly degrees either.

A very academic degree is rendered useless if held by the wrong person.
(edited 12 years ago)
You do have several tangible points, though the way in which you articulated them is hardly desirable.

Perhaps an English degree would help remedy that little peccadillo.
Original post by miserlou
I'm sorry it's ridiculous. That's like giving someone a degree in hairdressing. I'm in no way discrediting either trade. To do either I'm sure takes lot of training and hard work and by no means am I saying that anyone could anyone do them. But IMO they do not warrant the title of degrees.

The University of York, which does offer a masters in stained glass, disagrees.

What in your opinion does warrant the title of degree then?
Reply 27
Original post by miserlou

Why not? I'm sure they study the history of stained glass, the history and break down of glass and paint etc. How is that different from History of Art or Fine Art?
Original post by manutd_champions
Why is getting **** done important?

Because advancing technology is a better use of time than arguing about who killed the twins in the tower or arguing about whether a sound has to be heard to be considered a sound. At the end of the day, it isn't going to make a bit of difference to anything.

Inventing a cancer-destroying drug, or discovering how the universe came into existence, will.
Reply 29
Harry potter studies! no joke.
That one were they Teach you to Teach others so that they can Teach themselves and then Teach others.
Teachy Teach Teach.
Original post by imperial maniac
Because advancing technology is a better use of time than arguing about who killed the twins in the tower or arguing about whether a sound has to be heard to be considered a sound. At the end of the day, it isn't going to make a bit of difference to anything.

Inventing a cancer-destroying drug, or discovering how the universe came into existence, will.

This.
I love history as a subject, I found it fascinating, but at the end of the day, it lacks some amount of practicality. From a realistic point of view, it holds less view.

Of course, in an utopian world, I would do some sort of degree that would involve watching loads of television and reading all day.
Original post by Zangoose

...Write essays - I have a pen and paper, and a laptop to type documents
Read books - I'll get those from my local library which is a 5 minute bus journey. If I need extra books, I'll go on Ebay or Amazon
Field trips - Visit a few places related to whatever you're studying

These are all things you can do in your local town without spending a few grand on tuition fees. In an academic sense, why spend years in university accumulating vast amounts of student debt which you'll never pay back because there's no hope of getting a decent job with that degree?...

But surely you could say that about a lot of degrees? I'm sure if I locked myself a way for a few years reading books about Geography or Computer Science I too could educate myself to a degree level.

Also, who did kill the Princes in the Tower?
Original post by littleone271
Middlesex offers BA jewellery and accessories. Fashion is fair enough. This is the trouble of not having polytechnics anymore.

And what qualifiications, pray, do you think polytechnics gave?

The change that occurred in 1992 is that Polytechnics which used to award degrees validated by the CNAA became universities and were allowed to award their own degrees.

Here is a woman who did her BA in Jewellery at Middlesex Poly

https://www.westdean.org.uk/CollegeChannel/Tutors/TutorProfilesandWork/KathieMurphy.aspx

People get pointless degrees where some kind of evening classes or workshops or something would surely be quite sufficient training in that area for any career path they'd like to do in it. Golf course management is a good example.

Birmingham University clearly disagrees with you on golf course management.

They think you need AAB at A level plus a 4.4 handicap. That is somewhat higher than their requirements for chemistry.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/edu/app-golf-mgt-studies.aspx
Maybe from the OPs extremely narrow point of view (I'm also sensing petulance brought on by rejection).

It appears the OP is knocking degrees that don't "do something". Now, I'm soon to be a historian and I would never attack any other field like medicine, or engineering, or any of the "productive" degrees that "do things" to perpetuate the existing "natural" power structure.
But really. Not only should people be able to do what they love, but the amount of work that needs to be done in the world compared to the number of people is so small that we can afford a certain number of people who don't "do" anything.

And actually it does "do" something. Our culture is probably are greatest under-appreciated resource we utilize every single day. It stretches back thousands of years, effects every single aspect of our lives more than we would care to admit, and is the ocean on which the flotsam of brilliance drifts. Our historians, anthropologists, psychologists, writers et cetera are there to make sure we don't lose that.

Just because they're not developing cures for diseases (or weapons of mass destruction) you can't say they do nothing for our world.
Reply 35
Original post by imperial maniac

Why do you think that curing cancer and advancing technology are important? Because they extend our lives and improve the quality of them?

But what's the point in an extended and more comfortable life if not to 'argue who killed the twins in the tower', or to read novels, make music or, yeah, argue over philosophical conundrums (after all, arguing for the sake of arguing is something we humans like to do - TSR being the finest example of that).

There's no point saying science has value because it improves our lives if you are then going to say that the arts - which enrich our lives - are valueless.

(I speak as a science student by the way)
As somebody who plans on applying for Computer Science (ie a "useful" degree), why does everyone feel the need to criticise "useless degrees"? If somebody wants to study something they love for 3 years, then why shouldn't they be allowed to? It's their life.

Plus, if everybody was forced to apply for "useful degrees", then they'd be ridiculously oversubscribed and competitive (and universities would basically turn into vocational schools). Whatever happened to learning for learning's sake?
Reply 37
Your post shows little understanding of the job market.

Google graduate jobs and spend a little time researching what kinds of jobs are out there, and what kinds of qualifications and skills they expect.

More often than not, a 2:1/2:2 in any degree is necessary to pass the first stage of the application process. That's ANY degree, and you're already in the running. For jobs in management, human resources, public relations and journalism (among others), History is frequently flagged up as being one of the preferred degrees. This is because it is known to be an academically rigorous subject (especially at top institutions), that gives students numerous transferable skills, such as the ability to construct a coherent argument and deal with vast quantities of information.

Yes, you can teach yourself history. You can write essay after amazing essay in your own room until your fingers fall off but you won't get a degree at the end of it, and that will leave direct entry to all graduate level jobs out of your reach. Some positions will allow access to non-graduates with the right previous experience. Some - many - are just non-attainable without a degree. Especially in the big firms (i.e. the ones that can afford to give you a nice round salary).

I'm not even going to start on the importance of the study of History to an educated society. If you can't figure out the benefits, maybe you should enrol in a History degree. It might help to develop your ability to think logically :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by I don't know
As somebody who plans on applying for Computer Science (ie a "useful" degree), why does everyone feel the need to criticise "useless degrees"? If somebody wants to study something they love for 3 years, then why shouldn't they be allowed to? It's their life.

Plus, if everybody was forced to apply for "useful degrees", then they'd be ridiculously oversubscribed and competitive (and universities would basically turn into vocational schools). Whatever happened to learning for learning's sake?

Good point, we forget that some people take degrees because they have an interest in the ideas of the degree and thats it. Retired people tend to study these just out of interest to further develop their knowledge in the area, not for the sake of employment.

We get caught up with the idea that a degree solely intended for you to be able to get a job in the related area of study.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Art degree.....

Latest

Trending

Trending