The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aeschylus
It's not as if science graduates are struggling for jobs as well as arts/humanities students because most graduate level jobs are non-degree specific.

No, what you likely mean is that most graduate schemes for companies who take part in the AGR (Association of Graduate Recruiters) survey 2010 (which was based on 214 members i.e. companies as far as I am aware) are not degree specific.

However that is only a small fraction of the total amount of graduate recruiters, and is likely comprised mainly or almost solely of the large companies recruiting for many different office based positions.

Also consider that many graduate level jobs for science graduates are not graduate schemes but entry level positions. In fact based on my knowledge of those who recently graduated from the year above me in engineering almost everyone will go straight into an entry level position, with only a very small amount of companies even offering graduate schemes.

Outside of the large companies with graduate schemes, jobs are often very degree specific.
Reindeer studies has to be one of the most USEFUL degrees ever! Rudolph needs someone to take care of him. It's what Santa Claus has! (What do you mean he's NOT REAL?!)
Original post by Smack
No, what you likely mean is that most graduate schemes for companies who take part in the AGR (Association of Graduate Recruiters) survey 2010 (which was based on 214 members i.e. companies as far as I am aware) are not degree specific.

Probs. Cheers for the info, do you study engineering.
Original post by Payson.Keeler.
Reindeer studies has to be one of the most USEFUL degrees ever! Rudolph needs someone to take care of him. It's what Santa Claus has! (What do you mean he's NOT REAL?!)

You mean like this one:

http://www.sogsakk.fi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=105&lang=en
Original post by Killuminati1989
Geology/Geography

why do you think they're useless?
I would love to see the OP bust out a 2000 word essay in a night. I can do that with relative ease, but I have sciencey friends who struggle to write lab reports in a week. Different skills, different degrees.
Reply 106
you do those 3 things for most degrees, history is better than the average degree.

It does have some general management aspects such as HR and Accounting which is useful, but surely if you wanted to run your own bowling alley centre you don't need to do a degree for it? :s-smilie:

Yes! ThaT's where I intend to study :wink:

Jelly Babies Studies*

*I made this up
Reply 110
...Lingerie Studies and Air Conditioning Studies
Okay OP, what do you propose that arts students do instead of studying English/History/etc? Assuming that they're bad at/don't want to do a science-y degree.
Reply 112
history of art. (the full stop says it all)
Reply 113
Original post by chickenonsteroids

what the f***k is this degree mate? LOL :biggrin:
Original post by yahyahyahs
I would love to see the OP bust out a 2000 word essay in a night. I can do that with relative ease, but I have sciencey friends who struggle to write lab reports in a week. Different skills, different degrees.

probably because writing a 2000 word essay =/= writing a lab report. Writing a 2000 word essay isn't exactly difficult.....

No degree is useless because uni is all about jumping through pointless hoops to end up in some job which you'll be unhappy with until your 65 and can't wait to retire. However, most degrees are pointless because so many people just jump ship and go into an unrelated field anyways ie graduate schemes
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Muscovite
Medicine

I just had to rep that for some reason :P
Original post by bbm100
history of art. (the full stop says it all)

Actually, History of Art is pretty damn useful if you want to do something in museums or galleries, especially if you want to take on a curatorial role. I admit it doesn't seem useful from a 'science' point of view, but from the arts side, it's definitely worth having if you want to go into art galleries and museums.
I think the OP is implying that History is 'useless' because it doesn't tie you into one very obvious career like other subjects e.g. medicine do. Is that really a bad thing, though? I've studied a vocational discipline with clear career options and even I one day might pack it in and have a career change later in life, who can tell?

I went to a 'Big 4' recruitment evening and it was chock-full of people coming to the end of their humanities degree and couldn't think what to do, so let's do the done thing and become accountants shall we? :flute: I was there because I studied computing and information security so was directly interested in those portions of the business :fyi:

Truth be told, you won't "use" your History degree to its fullest, and in its purest form, unless you become a teacher (hmm, okay) or academic (:teehee: - way to screw your life up and sell yourself 100 miles short). The rest of it generally comes down to being well-read, well-rounded, able to structure an argument and all the general fluff touted by universities as being wonderful when in reality you can learn all that without handing over £9k a year, but I digress :colonhash: That said, calling it 'useless' is hopelessly misguided and it is still very popular and very respected because it's a traditional, 'proper' subject with a high level of work and academic rigour involved. It's not BSc Nipple Studies and Insect Dentistry at Brunel-Ruskin University College Markinch.

I do have issues with academic bandwagon hopping, though. Because all the polytechnics became universities in 1992, 'universities' are teaching practical subjects with very little academic merit. Not that learning those subjects is a bad thing, no - it's just that teaching them in a university setting does have people wondering if you're taking the piss. I am in favour of reintroducing polytechnics, but there is no going back now.

Original post by Jabberwox
Jelly Babies Studies*

*I made this up

Careful. Ages ago I made up a totally screwball degree that couldn't possibly exist because it was so ridiculous. Somebody then quoted me and gave me a link to the course. It really did exist somewhere :facepalm2:

I wish I could remember what it was now...
(edited 12 years ago)
I think No degree is objectively useless because it depends on what you want from life and what interests you. IM pretty sure a medicine degree wud be 'useless' for someone with interest in journalism, for example. Im sure many people working for government or in law fields will have history degrees.
Original post by fxyz
...Lingerie Studies

Apparently the course at De Montford has been running since 1947. That is a lot of unemployed graduates if it is useless.

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/contour-fashion-ba-degree/contour-fashion-ba.aspx

and Air Conditioning Studies

Four year MEng at Brunel

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/HK22

Latest

Trending

Trending