The Student Room Group

Man stabbed - Tough punishments needed?

http://galleries-news.sky.com/gallery/Oxford_Street_Stabbing

The reasons range from a pair of trainers to gang rivalry. I have no idea - frankly I don't care. The video showing some silly young black children (always harming the image of the majority) trying to break the cordon and revolt against those 'bad' "feds" only further annoys me.

Surely we need much tougher punishments to stop these loonies? We need to instil fear into these criminals. Are short prison sentences enough? Are these creatures really an asset to society? Are some of these murderers closet prodigies who can impact the world? Clearly not.

What can be done to completely turn around or even eradicate this silly culture? The death penalty doesn't seem likely, but we need something very close to that?

Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Flogging in public.
Something does need to change definitely. A lot of people these days have no respect at all for the law. I would be happy for corporal punishment to be reintroduced, like caning kids at school. There's absolutely no way it would be brought back now though
Original post by The_master616
Flogging in public.

Yes, that'll really work out. That will of course not induce further defiance and violence.

Flogging in public is just as primitive as stabbing somebody to death.
Reply 4
It's a problem with your flawed society. Punishing people isn't going to make it go away. Why can you not see that?
Oh alright then we'll just make do with giving them a good spanking.
Reply 6
I don't think they actually care about the law or what punishment they'll get. I'm not sure how to stop it, but it's a shame that people are getting stabbed in broad daylight on Oxford Street when the sales are on, it shows that they don't care.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
http://galleries-news.sky.com/gallery/Oxford_Street_Stabbing

The reasons range from a pair of trainers to gang rivalry. I have no idea - frankly I don't care. The video showing some silly young black children (always harming the image of the majority) trying to break the cordon and revolt against those 'bad' "feds" only further annoys me.

Surely we need much tougher punishments to stop these loonies? We need to instil fear into these criminals. Are short prison sentences enough? Are these creatures really an asset to society? Are some of these murderers closet prodigies who can impact the world? Clearly not.

What can be done to completely turn around or even eradicate this silly culture? The death penalty doesn't seem likely, but we need something very close to that?

Any thoughts?
Evidently not, but are longer ones the answer?

I don't know much about gang culture in London but I've seen a similar problem first hand in West Central Scotland (Glasgow and surrounding areas). I know people who have commited violent crimes and even murders, and the sad fact is that they are not scared to go to prison. If anything, it can cause the opposite effect and reinforce the reputations of these people, both in prison and when thet eventually get out.

The people I know who have been in prison for violent crime to my knowledge generally continue this lifestyle, usually in addition to drug dealing where they can use their reputation to avoid being caught (and make more money than your average Joe).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Yes, that'll really work out. That will of course not induce further defiance and violence.

Flogging in public is just as primitive as stabbing somebody to death.

Yes Mr.Gaylord soft panzy
For a solution you only have to look into history on how the UK dealt with crime in the past,especially violent crime. Look up glasgow and the razor gangs. gangs of lads slashing each other with razors , some left with disfiguring injuries. The police and courts had enough, and the police were allowed to get 'tough'

Which meant, vans of coppers driving around searching the local 'characters' and suspicious types ,any of them found with a razor ,was taken to some waste ground and battered by the cops, and locked away for some years. Anyone involved in a razor fight was given the even worse treatment,broken bones, the real works , and then given sentences in double figures.

That dealt with the problem. Until the left wing vermin are removed from the media, government police and justice system, this will continue. Anything else is just talk. It's all very well for the left to sit on their laurels and preach about police brutality,racism , etc etc but it won't be them or their children who have to live in these areas, with the gangs,guns, drugs and knives. How many more young people often black have to be seriously hurt or killed until the police and courts decided enough is enough and protect them?
Reply 10
Make them have to walk around in socks only, permit them slippers after 6 months of good behaviour then back to normal after a year. Tack on a prison sentence as appropriate beforehand.
Agreed.

More innocent people will suffer until the criminals are cracked down on properly.
You can make the punishments as harsh as you like, but the effect is likley to be negligible. I'm not a criminal, but I know people who are/were, and they do not care about punishment. A criminal does not care about what the punishment for the crime is - they simply care about whether they will get caught or not. To really stop crime, you need more police - not harsher punishments, which are a superfluous waste of money.

Another point is that most crimes are spur of the moment - very few crimes are planned. To deter crime that happens during seconds/minutes of anger is very difficult. As painful as it is, you have to accept crime will always exist. But if anything, a greater police presence is the answer.
Original post by imightbewrong
You can make the punishments as harsh as you like, but the effect is likley to be negligible. I'm not a criminal, but I know people who are/were, and they do not care about punishment. A criminal does not care about what the punishment for the crime is - they simply care about whether they will get caught or not. To really stop crime, you need more police - not harsher punishments, which are a superfluous waste of money.

Another point is that most crimes are spur of the moment - very few crimes are planned. To deter crime that happens during seconds/minutes of anger is very difficult. As painful as it is, you have to accept crime will always exist. But if anything, a greater police presence is the answer.

But surely given that many criminals are reoffenders, locking away the ones who commit even their first crime (just being caught carrying a knife) who prevent a fair bit?
Original post by PendulumBoB
But surely given that many criminals are reoffenders, locking away the ones who commit even their first crime (just being caught carrying a knife) who prevent a fair bit?

But what does locking away achieve though, if it is just carrying a knife? Of course, it prevents them from physically being able to commit the crime.... but only for the time they are in prison. Custodial sentences for such things simply make the criminal angry - this is reflected in the figures of the numbers who re-offend after their first time in prison.

For these first time offenders, committing less heinous crimes, the best policy would be to spend money on rehabilitation at this stage. People say not all criminals can be rehabed - and they are right. But this is what prison should be for - those who truly cannot be 'fixed'. If you get them into rehab during their first offence, you have a greater chance of stopping re-offending rather than just 'locking them up'. Just focusing on retribution is a poor justice system - it has no long term benefits to society, and the justice systems key aim is to provide long term, sustainable protection to society.
Original post by Rant
It's a problem with your flawed society. Punishing people isn't going to make it go away. Why can you not see that?

No. The problem is that over recent decades punishments have become less and less harsh. We don't need further relaxation of punishments.
Reply 16
Introduce anarchist law (IE no law) and legalise weaponry.
Reply 17
Original post by Darkphilosopher
No. The problem is that over recent decades punishments have become less and less harsh. We don't need further relaxation of punishments.

You're right, we don't need that.

We need punishment to be removed as a concept. Instead, prevention and rehabilitation should be the priority.
Original post by Rant
You're right, we don't need that.

We need punishment to be removed as a concept. Instead, prevention and rehabilitation should be the priority.

Yup - Only way you can stop crime. Obsession with punishment is naive and childish. It helps no one in the long term.
Reply 19
No, we need to focus on the internal sanctions of feeling bad/guilt/remorse rather than the external ones of punishment, as Hobbes put it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending