The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) - 27th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Gahhh good luck everyone! Lets all hope for a nice paper and for one of the approaches we've revised to come up...
I've taken a massive risk only learning 4 as well:- Psychodynamic, Behaviourist, Individual Differences and Social (less of social, this is like a major back up)
Haven't done a lot on Section A but I generally do quite well.
My tip for Section A is just roughly with a pencil draft a quick 5 minute plan under the options you get given before you even start writing. Dw you will get enough time as then you have about 15-20 minutes to write it all out. Oh and make it ethical, overload it with ethics e.g gatekeeper, debriefing them, making them sign a contract to get their consent to partake...shizzle like that :tongue: Oh and start on Section B first, it's better to not finish a 3 marker question than an 8 marker :smile:

Good luck everyone :smile: xx
What ethical issues can be included if observation comes up in Section A as its hard to get consent if people don't know you are observing them?
Reply 102
Original post by lushaholic693
What ethical issues can be included if observation comes up in Section A as its hard to get consent if people don't know you are observing them?

I’d say that I would put up posters in the area being observed saying that an observation will be taking place at some point over the next few days.
Hey guys today is the day and here is the rest of my section b answers for the perspectives and individual differences without the compare and debate question.

Also section A will most likely be observations as it never has come up, but it could be experiments again. A great way to remember the 19 marker question is to think of; Mad, Dogs, In, Dark, Scared, ****less, Making, Weird, Woofs, Having, Caught, Elephants, Munching, Ants. This makes up your study as the capital letters are; Method, Design, IV, DV, Sample, Sample Technique, Materials, Where, When, How, Controls, Ethics, Measurements, Anaylsis.
I use this as my checklist when writing for an experiment or correlation. (It's not in order but I use it to make sure I have everything)

I C A DAMPVEST
Instructions given to p's
Controls and conditions
Analysis of Data
Design and type of data colleceted
Aim
Method and materials
Places (Where and when?)
Variables
Ethical issues
Sample (method and characteristics)
Time given and what test used

For self report it's I C A DAMPQEST
The Q being questions used (open or closed)

Observation is C DAMP TOES (Again not in order)

Coding scheme-described
Data
Aim
Method of observation
Place
Time/Event sampling behaviour
Overt/Covert
Ethics
Sample method and who

Thats the main part of section A
Reply 105
Original post by DoctorRoss
I use this as my checklist when writing for an experiment or correlation. (It's not in order but I use it to make sure I have everything)

I C A DAMPVEST
Instructions given to p's
Controls and conditions
Analysis of Data
Design and type of data colleceted
Aim
Method and materials
Places (Where and when?)
Variables
Ethical issues
Sample (method and characteristics)
Time given and what test used

For self report it's I C A DAMPQEST
The Q being questions used (open or closed)

Observation is C DAMP TOES (Again not in order)

Coding scheme-described
Data
Aim
Method of observation
Place
Time/Event sampling behaviour
Overt/Covert
Ethics
Sample method and who

Thats the main part of section A

This is well good. Really helpful thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 106
I have no clue about correlation. Somone please help!
Reply 107
What about them, how to write a 19 mark question for them? ...
Reply 108
Original post by RobNo3

What sort of points would you need to be making to get good marks?! how do you 'do' a correlation?!!
Reply 109
Original post by RobNo3

Yes, i can only think of about a paragraph to write so if it comes up I'm compleatly screwed?!:frown:
Reply 110
S-ample (where you are getting them, who they are, age, etc)

T-echnique (how you get your sample, what technique, what the technique is)

T-esting (How you will test them, e.g questionairre, likert sclae, standardise it)

S-coring (how you will get the results, what you will do with them, e.g put them in a scatter graph, check for relationships, and say what statistical test youll do, spearman rho or pearsons product)
Reply 111
Original post by -Haz-

Original post by -Haz-
There are only two sections (section A and section B) but there are several questions in each section. I recommend having a look at some past papers to familiarise yourself :smile:

oh?? ok.. thanx alot.. i'll surely do that...
SO GLAD it was social! anyone else as surprised as me? how do you all think you did?
Reply 113
messed up a little bit in the designing an experiment and on section B on experimental method I kept going on about lab experiments and then I realised its field and natural aswell fml :frown:
I felt like I repeated myself a lot in the experimental section, but otherwise it was quite good :smile:

Also though, was a bit bummed that behaviourist & psychodynamic & individual differences didn't come up, I revised the **** out of them!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Kalv
messed up a little bit in the designing an experiment and on section B on experimental method I kept going on about lab experiments and then I realised its field and natural aswell fml :frown:

Crap I forgot about natural/quasi experiments! I heard a lot of people at my school answered just about lab experiments too though.
Reply 116
Original post by seventwoseven
I felt like I repeated myself a lot in the experimental section, but otherwise it was quite good :smile:

Also though, was a bit bummed that behaviourist & psychodynamic & individual differences didn't come up, I revised the **** out of them!

I was hoping for behaviourist perspective too! But not psychodynamic, no way haha, I find it so hard to talk about, especially applications and advantages of it!
Reply 117

same here....I didn't do much of social
Original post by HarrietAC
I was hoping for behaviourist perspective too! But not psychodynamic, no way haha, I find it so hard to talk about, especially applications and advantages of it!

Ha yes, definitely, I'd be hard pushed for advantages.
I feel like I found the exam suspiciously easy... like maybe it was so easy because I didn't do it right haha...
Reply 119
Ha yes, definitely, I'd be hard pushed for advantages.
I feel like I found the exam suspiciously easy... like maybe it was so easy because I didn't do it right haha...

Yeah me too come to think of it, I felt like I did repeat myself a bit in each question. Also ended up mostly using AS studies as examples, whereas our teacher made us learn half the A2 studies to use as examples instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending