The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have to add... It really bugs me when people fold paper bent instead of in a perfect half! Is it just me? :redface:
Original post by WhiteSlice14

I have to add... It really bugs me when people fold paper bent instead of in a perfect half! Is it just me? :redface:

no; it's so irritating!! and there's nothing you can do 'cause when you refold it it's still going to have the lines from where it was badly folded :sigh:
Original post by kayleigh.jean
no; it's so irritating!! and there's nothing you can do 'cause when you refold it it's still going to have the lines from where it was badly folded :sigh:

Oh my gosh, yes I know!! I used to cringe every time kids at school used to get newsletters and stuff it in their bags or fold it mindlessly! It's like, I'm sitting there trying to find a hard surface to lay the paper flat on so I can lift the ends gently over to kiss the other ends and then press down softely to make an initial fold, then firmly once again to ensure the fold is complete... By this time, everyone is at home :tongue:

There was this one boy who used to fold it bent on purpose just to annoy me! I used to find it painful and funny at the same time though haha :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh my gosh, yes I know!! I used to cringe every time kids at school used to get newsletters and stuff it in their bags or fold it mindlessly! It's like, I'm sitting there trying to find a hard surface to lay the paper flat on so I can lift the ends gently over to kiss the other ends and then press down softely to make an initial fold, then firly once again to ensure the fold is complete... By this time, everyone is at home :tongue:

There was this one boy who used to fold it bent on purpose just to annoy me! I used to find it painful and funny at the same time though haha :smile:

aww bless! :tongue: I just put mine in the recycling bin on the way out; solves all problems :lol:

it's when it's leaflets and they're printed so that the three columns aren't even so, by folding it exactly, the colums aren't right and it's so frustrating! and then other people just can't fold them properly so you get a leaflet that's all wonky -_-

haha, that's mean...and quite sad that he took the time to even think to fold it bent on purpose ^^
Original post by kayleigh.jean
aww bless! :tongue: I just put mine in the recycling bin on the way out; solves all problems :lol:

it's when it's leaflets and they're printed so that the three columns aren't even so, by folding it exactly, the colums aren't right and it's so frustrating! and then other people just can't fold them properly so you get a leaflet that's all wonky -_-

haha, that's mean...and quite sad that he took the time to even think to fold it bent on purpose ^^

Oh that as well! I meant IMPORTANT letters :tongue:

Oh maaann!! Don't even get me STARTED on leaflets! I used to sit there measuirng the paper and drawing tiny dots so I knew exactly where to fold... And I used to sit next to some rudegirls, so it was excruciating to watch them fold it in half and then realise they actually had to fold it in thirds to make a leaflet! :redface:

Lol, it was no trouble for him, it came to him naturally :tongue:

Yeah, I still see it now! Grrrr...

Same! Mine had to be pristine and calculated otherwise I'd feel incomplete :frown: But those kids used to fold it in ways I could never imagine making shapes I never thought existed! :eek:
Reply 645
i feel like im giving in to trich more and more recently, finding it hard to stay as strong as i was. keep pulling out a couple of lashes each day. so far, no patches but i can see that my lashes arent as full and beautiful on my left eye as they were. least there's no patches, patches are so annoying to hide :mad:

sadness makes it worse though, but ugh, positivity is so hard... especially to natural pessimists like myself:emo: need to get out of the house this weekend or else im sure my lashes will take another beating.

arghhh want to pull so bad. wish i had an off switch in my brain. too wound up to sleep too! ugh. might do laps around the house, as punishment for pulling and to calm me down. think it might weird out the family though so better not haha.

Spoiler

maybe attempting to sleep would be the best move now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 646
Oh my gosh, yes I know!! I used to cringe every time kids at school used to get newsletters and stuff it in their bags or fold it mindlessly! It's like, I'm sitting there trying to find a hard surface to lay the paper flat on so I can lift the ends gently over to kiss the other ends and then press down softely to make an initial fold, then firmly once again to ensure the fold is complete... By this time, everyone is at home :tongue:

This has happened soo many times :giggle:

Original post by popple7
i feel like im giving in to trich more and more recently, finding it hard to stay as strong as i was. keep pulling out a couple of lashes each day. so far, no patches but i can see that my lashes arent as full and beautiful on my left eye as they were. least there's no patches, patches are so annoying to hide :mad:

sadness makes it worse though, but ugh, positivity is so hard... especially to natural pessimists like myself:emo: need to get out of the house this weekend or else im sure my lashes will take another beating.

arghhh want to pull so bad. wish i had an off switch in my brain. too wound up to sleep too! ugh. might do laps around the house, as punishment for pulling and to calm me down. think it might weird out the family though so better not haha.

Spoiler

maybe attempting to sleep would be the best move now.

Awww :frown: I'm really sorry :console: Hope you feel better tomorrow hun xx
Reply 647
Original post by ViceVersa

Awww :frown: I'm really sorry :console: Hope you feel better tomorrow hun xx

feel a bit better but still finding it hard. it's just so frustrating! like having a constant itch that you wanna scratch but cant. venting helped a bit last night though :smile:

how are you doing? hows things? hope you're doing ok :smile: pm me if you ever need a chat or vent remember.

god im so boredddddddddd today. thought i had plans this weekend but i got the dates mixed up and its actually next weekend :facepalm: i need a hobby. there's only so much internet and computer games i can take! moanmoanmoan.
Original post by popple7
feel a bit better but still finding it hard. it's just so frustrating! like having a constant itch that you wanna scratch but cant. venting helped a bit last night though :smile:

how are you doing? hows things? hope you're doing ok :smile: pm me if you ever need a chat or vent remember.

god im so boredddddddddd today. thought i had plans this weekend but i got the dates mixed up and its actually next weekend :facepalm: i need a hobby. there's only so much internet and computer games i can take! moanmoanmoan.

poppppppppleeeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
I had my first counselling type session with lucinda on wednesday and i'm gonna have one every 6 weeks or so. I think it'll be really helpful :smile: She made me tell her a long list of things I can now do with my intralace, just simple things like 'I have more confidence', 'I don't need to spend time in the morning trying to cover it up'
Maybe write a list yourself of things that would change if you didn't have trich?
I'll tell you all the tasks and things we do so you can try them :smile:
Reply 649
Original post by kaylafrances
poppppppppleeeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
I had my first counselling type session with lucinda on wednesday and i'm gonna have one every 6 weeks or so. I think it'll be really helpful :smile: She made me tell her a long list of things I can now do with my intralace, just simple things like 'I have more confidence', 'I don't need to spend time in the morning trying to cover it up'
Maybe write a list yourself of things that would change if you didn't have trich?
I'll tell you all the tasks and things we do so you can try them :smile:

hiiiiiii :hugs:

aww so glad it went well! i know we've talked about it before, but what exactly is an intralace? is it like extensions or a hair piece or what? i watched the video on trich you mentioned ages ago, they looked brilliant on the girls in the documentary! you happy with yours? :smile:

i put some mascara on and my lashes dont look as sparse as i thought! my lashes are naturally really full... so i can tell they arent as full as i know they can be, but honestly nobody would be able to tell ive pulled any out, they look normal. i guess you just notice these things on yourself a bit more.

thanks for the tips, will try them out... and definitely let me know about techniques you learn about or helpful hints! what's working for me is changing my mindset and trying to be positive about it. been feeling a bit down in general recently so i think that's made things worse.. but i think the fact ive not pulled enough to make any patches has given me a bit of a boost :smile:
Original post by popple7
hiiiiiii :hugs:

aww so glad it went well! i know we've talked about it before, but what exactly is an intralace? is it like extensions or a hair piece or what? i watched the video on trich you mentioned ages ago, they looked brilliant on the girls in the documentary! you happy with yours? :smile:

i put some mascara on and my lashes dont look as sparse as i thought! my lashes are naturally really full... so i can tell they arent as full as i know they can be, but honestly nobody would be able to tell ive pulled any out, they look normal. i guess you just notice these things on yourself a bit more.

thanks for the tips, will try them out... and definitely let me know about techniques you learn about or helpful hints! what's working for me is changing my mindset and trying to be positive about it. been feeling a bit down in general recently so i think that's made things worse.. but i think the fact ive not pulled enough to make any patches has given me a bit of a boost :smile:

It's basically a weave except they dont braid your hair, it's basically threaded through a mesh that's made to fit your head. I guess it may be hard to imagine if you can't see one but i'll take a picture maybe? When i cba aha
aww that's good :smile: yeah i couldn't be happier with it

Yeah i guess we do focus in on things we dont like but all we can do is change them :h:
That's exactly what she said! She said you don't miraculously stop doing it, you need to change your mindset, have a more positive outlook and it'll gradually change. She said one day i'll see pulling 4 hairs out as a bad day and i was like :eek: because i can't imagine having that control and ability to just leave it at that but it'll come with time just keep working on it :smile:
Reply 651
Original post by kaylafrances
It's basically a weave except they dont braid your hair, it's basically threaded through a mesh that's made to fit your head. I guess it may be hard to imagine if you can't see one but i'll take a picture maybe? When i cba aha
aww that's good :smile: yeah i couldn't be happier with it

Yeah i guess we do focus in on things we dont like but all we can do is change them :h:
That's exactly what she said! She said you don't miraculously stop doing it, you need to change your mindset, have a more positive outlook and it'll gradually change. She said one day i'll see pulling 4 hairs out as a bad day and i was like :eek: because i can't imagine having that control and ability to just leave it at that but it'll come with time just keep working on it :smile:

god that's amazing! googled lucinda's website and had a look at some of the people she's helped. just a shame it's so expensive! but hopefully it's a good investment and it will help you in some way :smile: you must feel a million times more confident, think that would make it worth it in itself!

i do think it's about changing your mindset and not giving in! lots of persistance and not getting too annoyed at ourselves when/if we have slip ups. ive found that i have more control and will power than i first thought! in the past, if i pulled out a few, id get really really wound up and end up pulling loads. so the difference now is that i get wound up, but manage to stop myself pulling before i go mental.

i think our trich is really different though, i imagine the hair one is really easy to do because it's more accessible. and you probably dont notice you're doing it as quickly as i do. plus mine grows back relatively quickly, thank goodness. think it's easier for me to be positive because i know regrowth takes max. 2 months.

with your intralace and sessions with lucinda though, things are looking up for you! :smile:
Reply 652
Original post by popple7

Awww :console: It must be, and good that it did :heart:

I'm okay :yep: Became really down for a while but these past two days have been really good and I've felt good too! Marks a change and I'm trying to embrace it :smile: Had an annoying OCD early afternoon though when scrubbing the bathroom - I spent hours there! :sigh: But overall I'm still here so :yep: and thank you :hugs: You can always PM me too! My inbox will always be open and welcome to you :heart:

Did you finally find something to do today hun?

Hmm hobby - what kind of stuff are you inti and maybe we could come up with one for you :ahee:
Reply 653
Awww :console: It must be, and good that it did :heart:

I'm okay :yep: Became really down for a while but these past two days have been really good and I've felt good too! Marks a change and I'm trying to embrace it :smile: Had an annoying OCD early afternoon though when scrubbing the bathroom - I spent hours there! :sigh: But overall I'm still here so :yep: and thank you :hugs: You can always PM me too! My inbox will always be open and welcome to you :heart:

Did you finally find something to do today hun?

Hmm hobby - what kind of stuff are you inti and maybe we could come up with one for you :ahee:

aww im really glad you're having a good few days! :biggrin: must be such a welcome relief from feeling so bad for so long... definitely enjoy the good days while you have them! :hugs: and seriously well done for not letting OCD dampen your spirits! although hours cleaning the bathroom doesnt sound fun at all, the smell of bleach :yucky:

i played lots of zelda and caught up with some telly. bit rubbish really! i want proper hobbies, like learning something or something more interesting than just telly and films and eating out. i keep meaning to get back into reading now im not a student... but cant find the energy to begin. or summat that helps me meet new people. dunno though, i have zero attention span and am pretty lazy so not sure what suits me!

prob might go to bed now, sooooo bored of today! :tongue:

Haha, yeh! In fact you know what?!

I had a little battle this morning. My mum came into the room and she opened the door obviously, but she left it open and I could feel it open (I was in my bed almost asleep) and it was bothering me so I tried not to look at it (my back was to the door) but then I looked :facepalm: and I said to myself that I'm just gonna leave it and try to fall asleep and think of something else and I did! :biggrin:

Also I noticed that whenever I play UNO with my nephews, they put the cards down into one pile - but not any pile - one messy pile! I can't even call it a pile! It's some sort of monstrosity! And I always find myself tidying the pile after each card is placed down :teehee: and when I win (which is all the time :smug:) I watch as a spectator to see who wins out of them and the pile... Well.. The pile is no longer a civil pile :redface:

How are you? :smile:
Reply 655
Original post by popple7
aww im really glad you're having a good few days! :biggrin: must be such a welcome relief from feeling so bad for so long... definitely enjoy the good days while you have them! :hugs: and seriously well done for not letting OCD dampen your spirits! although hours cleaning the bathroom doesnt sound fun at all, the smell of bleach :yucky:

i played lots of zelda and caught up with some telly. bit rubbish really! i want proper hobbies, like learning something or something more interesting than just telly and films and eating out. i keep meaning to get back into reading now im not a student... but cant find the energy to begin. or summat that helps me meet new people. dunno though, i have zero attention span and am pretty lazy so not sure what suits me!

prob might go to bed now, sooooo bored of today! :tongue:

Eeek, sorry! Thought I'd replied to this :colondollar:

Thank you :smile: yeah it is an honest relief, I forgot it was even possible to have a good day :tongue: I enjoyed it as much as I could given I recieved some bad news yesterday :frown: I'm trying not to let it cripple me though. Aw thank you! OCD has been annoying me so much lately but I'm trying not to let it get to me too much :tongue: And yeah it wasn't fun at all! Except for everyone else in the house who loves a shiny bathroom!

Aw sorry you had a rubbish day hun :console: For a hobby, you could try joining a teaching class or something, like yoga or zumba (:heart:) or cooking or maybe an instrument! Something you love ot always wanted to try generally :smile: You could also join a book club! Reading is good and you should definitely try to get back into it! :smile: I understand about lacking the energy (trust me!) but you could try x

Hope today was better hun :hugs:

Haha, yeh! In fact you know what?!

I had a little battle this morning. My mum came into the room and she opened the door obviously, but she left it open and I could feel it open (I was in my bed almost asleep) and it was bothering me so I tried not to look at it (my back was to the door) but then I looked :facepalm: and I said to myself that I'm just gonna leave it and try to fall asleep and think of something else and I did! :biggrin:

Also I noticed that whenever I play UNO with my nephews, they put the cards down into one pile - but not any pile - one messy pile! I can't even call it a pile! It's some sort of monstrosity! And I always find myself tidying the pile after each card is placed down :teehee: and when I win (which is all the time :smug:) I watch as a spectator to see who wins out of them and the pile... Well.. The pile is no longer a civil pile :redface:

How are you? :smile:

Ahh man the door thing! :facepalm: That drives me soo crazy! Especially lately, my younger sister keeps opening the door and leaving it open so much and it's making me mental :sad: I knwo what you mean about trying not to look at it, but that never works for a long time at all with me :frown: But BIG well done for overcoming that battle this morning, seriously well done because it's impossible for me to do :biggrin:

Ahh that sucks :console:

I'm okay! Just my OCD brain is driving me nuts atm :frown: I still have the trouble or re-watching stuff and re-reading stuff :frown: Yesterday, it took me 2 hours to watch 10 minutes of a TV show, and this morn a friend of mine asked me to read a letter and I took ages and just got so frustrated. My brain is seriously frustrating and irritating me :frown: I've also noticed I'm washing my hands a lot more too. Like at the mo, when in the kitchen. if I touch anything (and I mean anything) I wash my hands straight after! I open a cupboard, then wash, then get the tea out, then wash, then close it again, then wash. Oh man :cry2: Didn't even notice it was that bad until sis pointed it out to me, and when my bf was round the other night and said it to me. :facepalm:
Ahh man the door thing! :facepalm: That drives me soo crazy! Especially lately, my younger sister keeps opening the door and leaving it open so much and it's making me mental :sad: I knwo what you mean about trying not to look at it, but that never works for a long time at all with me :frown: But BIG well done for overcoming that battle this morning, seriously well done because it's impossible for me to do :biggrin:

Ahh that sucks :console:

I'm okay! Just my OCD brain is driving me nuts atm :frown: I still have the trouble or re-watching stuff and re-reading stuff :frown: Yesterday, it took me 2 hours to watch 10 minutes of a TV show, and this morn a friend of mine asked me to read a letter and I took ages and just got so frustrated. My brain is seriously frustrating and irritating me :frown: I've also noticed I'm washing my hands a lot more too. Like at the mo, when in the kitchen. if I touch anything (and I mean anything) I wash my hands straight after! I open a cupboard, then wash, then get the tea out, then wash, then close it again, then wash. Oh man :cry2: Didn't even notice it was that bad until sis pointed it out to me, and when my bf was round the other night and said it to me. :facepalm:

Lol, my nephews do it all the time! Yesterday I actually gave them a lesson on how to close the door properly! I even told them I hate it when they leave it open!
But thanks :smile: Grrrr... He just left it open now!! Ah... I'll just have to endure it :sad:

What do you mean by re-reading and re-watching...? Because I keep a whole load of stuff so I can read them later on but I'm not sure if that's the same thing... :s-smilie: (lol, just made him close the door now). I have this whole washing hand thing too, but your one sounds more intense! Do you have this thing where you can almost see the germs on door handles and things? I do... When I open public doors I do them all with the same hand so that one hand is safe from the evil. Even when I went shopping once, we were waiting for the lift and my sister asked me to press the button and I just stood there staring at the button while saying, "Oh but they're so dirty!" and then I took out a tissue and pressed the button using it :tongue:
Lol thanks! :five: Do you suffer from the door thing too? I hate bathroom doors being open too! What things are you OCD about? :smile:
No I sorta get what you mean. Lol, the end bit made me laugh... :ahee: It's sort of, well you need to be sure that everything is in order, like you have to know as well (if I'm explaining it right :redface:). Ahh I mean you ned to put it in order and know it's in order. Just that satisfaction of knowing everything is right maybe?

I also really hate it when people use my phone... It's like... They play angry birds on it or something but they leave all their finger marks on my phone and I have to wash it off!! I don't really like touching other people's phones too... I can see it's all grimey and I feel dirty :redface:
Ohh! Me too! I don't say no because it'll be rude but I have my afterplan all mapped out in my head of how I'll wash it. And when I'm coming back from sixth form (I have this thing about needing to wash my hands) and I try to touch as little of my phone as I can so it doesn't get too 'dirty'.

Also, I don't really notice all of the OCD stuff I do because I think it's normal so I usually have to think about what is OCD and what isn't haha. But sometimes I walk in an OCD way, like I'll put my foot down on every second pavement slab or I try to only walk three steps in every bit of the floor.. Hard to explain :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest