The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by lost_puppy
Hi guys, another one here!

I'm so glad there's a thread here on TSR about it. I don't like admitting I had OCD but I'm in a bad way at the moment.

I'm not so much about order as my things are generally scattered around, but I'm more of the ritual variety. I have to make sure people are protected if I do certain things, and have to do them at the right time. It sucks when I'm out and I have to think things over in my head rather than saying them out loud. It was so hard when I was at work and constantly trying to wash my hands at every opportunity - I had to use hand wipes at my desk.

I'm petrified of people close to me or even celebrities being harmed. It doesn't help that people spread rumours and tweet about bad things happening - I try to avoid newspapers or else I'll go back to see what I've done to cause it :frown: It's horrible, especially when people I know have such a morbid humour. I'll want to cry and my blood runs cold and I won't get the thought of my head. If I have not heard from someone in a while, I will panic and be afraid to call them just in case the worst has happened. I go through all my rituals but I get more scared.

My next door neighbour has a child who cries and I worry that the worst has happened or that they're in trouble. I've been crying for the past hour as I didn't know what was going on. Even sirens can really upset me. I'm on citalopram and it helps a bit but I need CBT. I have made an appointment but I'm really embarrassed. I treat the concept of death like a small child, but I'm in my 20s. :frown: Sorry for such a long post. I need to get it out there :frown:

Interesting read...you have more going on there than just OCD however.

As you've mentioned you definitely need CBT, I wouldn't worry about going for it though, you may be embarrassed but they won't and it should help.
Reply 841
116 days without resetting my PCs and accounts online :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 842
Original post by Alexyy
116 days without resetting my PCs and accounts online :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That's absolutely amazing and fantastic! Big well done, so proud right now! :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been suffering from what I assume is OCD for at least four years now. It started as a slight fear of germs and a feeling of annoyance/unease when objects weren't straight, etc, but in the last year or so it's become steadily more extreme. I now wash my hands up to twenty times a day: after I come in from outside, after I touch an object that's been outside such as a set of keys or even my mobile, after I touch someone else's hand, and so on. I also only use one or two fingers to touch the door handles in public places so that the other fingers don't have to make contact with the handle. After I go to bed I always have to get up at least three times before I actually get to sleep to make sure that everything in my room is arranged as it should be (my chair is pushed right up to my desk, my dimmer switch is turned all the way up even though the light is off, things like that) otherwise I can't get to sleep.

This I can pretty much live with. My worry is that it's going to get even worse, and that I'll end up as some kind of recluse, like Howard Hughes but far less wealthy. What can I do to preven that? Who can I talk to about this? The main problem is that I feel so silly discussing it with anyone because I know that my compulsions are totally irrational and don't make sense to anyone who doesn't have the disorder.

I totally identify with your last paragraph, my OCD (not diagnosed, but pretty sure I have it) sort of comes in phases, sometimes I can sort of cope and sometimes it just gets too much. When I'm having a bad phase, all I can think is that it'll only get worse and I won't be able cope. However, it's important that we remember that people can help us to get through these things. I think that soon I'm going to go to the doctor, because I feel like next year is going to be the most important year of my life (A2), so I would just like to get this sorted out. I also feel that talking to people about my compulsions will be embarrassing, because my worst compulsion (the one that has by far the greatest effect on my life) is hair touching. I feel like the doctor will think it's to do with vanity or something, like I'm making sure my hair looks good, which it really isn't because I'm not vain, and I know myself that it's totally irrational. I wouldn't worry about talking to people about obsessive had washing, it's actually quite a common symptom of OCD that doctors will recognise. Good luck :smile:
Original post by ViceVersa
Now you do :h: Welcome, let us know how you are and how it goes!

I messaged you asking what it was like going to the doctor's with OCD. So what is it like? What do you do? What happens?
Reply 845
I messaged you asking what it was like going to the doctor's with OCD. So what is it like? What do you do? What happens?

It's okay, definitely not as nerve racking or scary as you think. I guess it will depends the type of GP etc, but it's okay. I was asked why I came there and I wrote some stuff down that I read out loud and then in the end gave them to read. If there's a problem your GP will tell you and you will get diagnosed. It's definitely not bad, your GP will then refer you to anyone else if needed and/or propose the best way to treat you (this will depends on several factors such as how severe your OCD is) and you'll probably be free to go at that point :smile:
Original post by ViceVersa
It's okay, definitely not as nerve racking or scary as you think. I guess it will depends the type of GP etc, but it's okay. I was asked why I came there and I wrote some stuff down that I read out loud and then in the end gave them to read. If there's a problem your GP will tell you and you will get diagnosed. It's definitely not bad, your GP will then refer you to anyone else if needed and/or propose the best way to treat you (this will depends on several factors such as how severe your OCD is) and you'll probably be free to go at that point :smile:

Thanks, I feel kind of reassured that it won't be that bad. I might write some stuff down so that I don't forget everything I have to say. The part that I'm most worried about is the embarassment, it seems like no-one else will be able to understand my compulsions and I'll just look stupid :ashamed2:
Reply 847
Thanks, I feel kind of reassured that it won't be that bad. I might write some stuff down so that I don't forget everything I have to say. The part that I'm most worried about is the embarassment, it seems like no-one else will be able to understand my compulsions and I'll just look stupid :ashamed2:

Believe it or not, Doctors have heard it all :tongue: I'm sure they'll understand and know how to make you feel better :h: Writing stuff is definitely a good idea and helps lots, so doing so would be good.
Original post by Ursin
What did you do to work your way out of it? :smile:

I used to have severe hygiene OCD, I would wash my hands at every given opportunity, and refused to pick things up off the floor without using a paper towel. It's not really an issue these days, I basically threw myself in at the deep end, I stopped washing my hands for a few days, didn't shower for a couple days, and let my room and things around me get dirty, it was hard at first and kind of hurt my head but after a while I realised it doesn't matter if things are a bit dirty and so it's no longer a real issue.

OCD can be debilitating, it's often overlooked, but remember there's always a way out!
Reply 849
Omg I'm suffering because I haven't seen my CBT therapist and I really don't know what to do. :frown:
There's a programme on OCD on at 10pm tonight, can't remember which channel. Should be interesting, but may just be aggravating if they fill it with 'horror stories' and some documentaries do.
Reply 851
There's a programme on OCD on at 10pm tonight, can't remember which channel. Should be interesting, but may just be aggravating if they fill it with 'horror stories' and some documentaries do.

Channel 4, 10pm. I'm looking forward to it :smile:
Reply 852
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in this thread since right when it started, but I feel like my OCD tendencies are getting a lot worse. I'm kind of too scared to go to the doctor or anything though.
Reply 853
Okay, well I think I MAY have OCD. But it's a weird kind. I don't like things to be organized, or cluttered. Instead, everything has to be organised clutter. So, clothes have to be messy on the bedroom floor; but in an organized way. Does anyone else have this?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MZ604
What did people make of Jon Richardson's show? I thought it was really good and heartbreaking.

Thankfully, I'd say I'm like Jon in the sense that I do certain things and I'm certainly a perfectionist.
Reply 855
Just gotten around to watching it and - at least in my humble opinion; it was very respectfully done. Much more respect for Jon Richardson after that. It confirmed to me as well that I have very, very slight OCD as the things I'm obsessive about - if I didn't do them, make me completely restless and fidgety and very uncomfortable. The level of distress caused seems to be the most important factor. It also made me feel abit more educated about OCD as a disease/disorder as a whole aswell. So yeah. Very well done Channel 4 :yy:
I thought it was really well done; it explained OCD better than most programmes have done, and it was good that it showed the whole scale so there were those with slight OCD that wasn't as debilitating, then there were the extreme cases. I didn't like the bit on ERPT though; just reading about the touching the toilet seat thing freaks me out, so watching it was horrible. Overall a brilliant programme though; Jon Richardson did a great job too :smile: it's good that C4 has this focus on mental health; it's been really interesting and informative so far this week
Original post by kayleigh.jean
I thought it was really well done; it explained OCD better than most programmes have done, and it was good that it showed the whole scale so there were those with slight OCD that wasn't as debilitating, then there were the extreme cases. I didn't like the bit on ERPT though; just reading about the touching the toilet seat thing freaks me out, so watching it was horrible. Overall a brilliant programme though; Jon Richardson did a great job too :smile: it's good that C4 has this focus on mental health; it's been really interesting and informative so far this week

Only one person was a 'nutter' in the show and that was the nurse. I'd wager that the vast majority of people wouldn't want to go around caressing toilet seats, regardless of whether they have OCD or not.
Who watched the OCD program last night?
Original post by TheMagicRat
Only one person was a 'nutter' in the show and that was the nurse. I'd wager that the vast majority of people wouldn't want to go around caressing toilet seats, regardless of whether they have OCD or not.

:rofl:
very true...except my baby sister :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest