The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by shake_it
Thanks so much. One more question - do I need any certificates for my anxiety? I have a letter from my phychiatrist about extenuating circumstances and diagnosis of OCD.

It would depend on the university I can imagine. I think a letter detailing the diagnosis and such would be sufficient though :smile:
Hi everyone!

After seeing this thread, I thought that it was the perfect place for me to seek advice...

A while ago, I did a little research into some of my peculiar habits and diagnosed myself with OCD.
My family, however, are very ignorant about mental health so it took me a long time to summon the courage to tell them.

Once I managed to convince them that it was worth checking out, my mum booked an appointment with a local GP.

The appointment was this morning and I was pretty optimistic because the symptoms had been getting worse and this was my chance to get help for it (in the week before, I had compiled a list of 67 OCD symptoms!) but, being younger than 14 (I can't type that number as it is one of my fears), my mum had to accompany me into the office. The appointment was ridiculously short and it was spent by my mum trying to justify and in some cases deny all of the things I was saying. It ended pretty inconclusively and so I just don't know where to go from here... It's a horrible situation to be in knowing full well that my symptoms do comply with those of OCD but that my mum refuses to admit it and is therefore destroying any hope I have of curing or at least making progress with it. Friday night had to be my lowest point - after a huge argument with my sister (OCD related - one of my obsessions is having everything at a 90 degree angle to the table but she refused to let me touch her stuff), I was unable to sit in our main room (the only way to stop my urges is to either complete the action or move away from it) so while my entire family was sat watching a film, I was left alone in the kitchen. Two hours had passed and my mum came to see if I was okay. I told her the problem and she told me that she would move the stuff and I could go back into the room. I expected that she would come back as soon as the stuff had been tidied so, to keep myself occupied for the two minutes or so, I started pacing up and down on five tiles (one of my lucky numbers) counting my steps (I count everything) and making sure that I didn't step on the cracks (another obsession) and managed to convince myself that something awful would happen if I stopped before one of my relatives came back into the kitchen. Well, my mum didn't come back in two minutes so I just continued. After about twenty minutes, I realised how utterly ridiculous it was but couldn't prize myself away from the tiles and every time I thought about moving, I had these awful visions of my family being strangled and me committing suicide with one of the kitchen knives! I started crying and felt incredibly helpless and like I didn't even have control of my own body but couldn't even get a tissue because I couldn't move from the tiles. This one ritual lasted 53 minutes! 53 minutes of counting, apologising, avoiding cracks, sobbing, intrusive thoughts, feelings of depression and total helplessness :-(

I apologise for the essay but just really need help here. What should I do? I've exhausted, or rather wasted the GP option and really need help with this.

Thank you in advance and good luck with all of your fights against OCD!
I full agree with you....
I Think you right.

Prince357
Good idea for a thread :smile: Had a pretty crappy day yesterday cos my sister messed up all my perfectly arranged stacked books and I had to spend all day sorting through and organising it again :frown:

Thanks for share.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone!

After seeing this thread, I thought that it was the perfect place for me to seek advice...

A while ago, I did a little research into some of my peculiar habits and diagnosed myself with OCD.
My family, however, are very ignorant about mental health so it took me a long time to summon the courage to tell them.

Once I managed to convince them that it was worth checking out, my mum booked an appointment with a local GP.

The appointment was this morning and I was pretty optimistic because the symptoms had been getting worse and this was my chance to get help for it (in the week before, I had compiled a list of 67 OCD symptoms!) but, being younger than 14 (I can't type that number as it is one of my fears), my mum had to accompany me into the office. The appointment was ridiculously short and it was spent by my mum trying to justify and in some cases deny all of the things I was saying. It ended pretty inconclusively and so I just don't know where to go from here... It's a horrible situation to be in knowing full well that my symptoms do comply with those of OCD but that my mum refuses to admit it and is therefore destroying any hope I have of curing or at least making progress with it. Friday night had to be my lowest point - after a huge argument with my sister (OCD related - one of my obsessions is having everything at a 90 degree angle to the table but she refused to let me touch her stuff), I was unable to sit in our main room (the only way to stop my urges is to either complete the action or move away from it) so while my entire family was sat watching a film, I was left alone in the kitchen. Two hours had passed and my mum came to see if I was okay. I told her the problem and she told me that she would move the stuff and I could go back into the room. I expected that she would come back as soon as the stuff had been tidied so, to keep myself occupied for the two minutes or so, I started pacing up and down on five tiles (one of my lucky numbers) counting my steps (I count everything) and making sure that I didn't step on the cracks (another obsession) and managed to convince myself that something awful would happen if I stopped before one of my relatives came back into the kitchen. Well, my mum didn't come back in two minutes so I just continued. After about twenty minutes, I realised how utterly ridiculous it was but couldn't prize myself away from the tiles and every time I thought about moving, I had these awful visions of my family being strangled and me committing suicide with one of the kitchen knives! I started crying and felt incredibly helpless and like I didn't even have control of my own body but couldn't even get a tissue because I couldn't move from the tiles. This one ritual lasted 53 minutes! 53 minutes of counting, apologising, avoiding cracks, sobbing, intrusive thoughts, feelings of depression and total helplessness :-(

I apologise for the essay but just really need help here. What should I do? I've exhausted, or rather wasted the GP option and really need help with this.

Thank you in advance and good luck with all of your fights against OCD!

Do you have a school nurse? You could try going to them because then you won't have your Mom to 'interfere' (no offense to her) with what you have to say. And you can always go back to the GP, it's not like they'll turn you away because you've already been.
Good luck :smile:
I've started doing this weird clicky thing with my breathing, driving me mad.
Also can't stop my eyes flitting everywhere today. Hopefully I'll have forgotten them by the morning.
Original post by BrachiosaurusRex
Hello :smile:

I'm pretty new here, but happened to see the people posting (a little while back now) about trich and felt like saying hey.

I've been pulling my hair out since I was small, eyelashes and eyebrows but mainly from my scalp. It was really bad when I was about 11 - had pretty much no hair on the sides of my head and tufty bits everywhere else, and would have to wind a tiny hairband around the bits that were long enough about twenty times to keep it in a ponytail. And some of the kids at my primary school assumed I had cancer and told their parents, so then my parents had their friends ringing up, saying how sorry they were and asking what they could do to help. It didn't occur to me at the time (I guess I was too busy worrying about how weird I looked with huge bald patches) but it must have been awful for my mum, constantly having to explain something which she had no idea how to explain...

It's a lot better than then for the most part and hardly noticeable now, but I do still pull hairs and eyelashes out and I'm worried that when I move in a month's time it will get worse :frown: I just feel so stupid for doing it and not having the discipline to stop - I have plenty of self-control in other areas of my life, but with this one pointless thing, I have none. Just gets on my nerves! :mad: I also count things in my head and with my teeth (syllables in sentences, words on pages, rhythms of music, footsteps, brushes when I'm brushing my hair...) all the time, but that doesn't tend to be intrusive unless I am stressed or nervous to start with.

One question, I was interested to find the trich posts on the OCD thread - is it generally seen as a part of OCD or is it just common for people with one to have the other too? I know nothing about the medical side of this so sorry if it's an ignorant question!

It can be OCD, yeah. I depends, and it can have other causes, but I think if you can't think of any other reasons for it then it probably is OCD, especially if you have other things too (I find myself counting my steps and things like that)

I feel really sorry for you, you seem to have had it really bad :frown:
I've been quite lucky with it, I don't have it quite as severely as that and I've got really thick hair so I managed to stop it from being too noticeable, but I spent years not knowing what it was because none of my doctors could diagnose it.

And don't feel stupid. Don't. It's OCD, and you can't help it. It's not your fault.
Have you considered getting help with it, if you're worried it might get worse? My doctor recommended CBT for it, so if it does get worse again, you could try that maybe?
Original post by ViceVersa
Let your uni know :yep:

What about on UCAS? Do you think I need to select 'mental health condition'?
I'm okay-ish, I can cope most of the time and my school don't know...I just don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill by selecting the same option as I would select if I had severe schizophrenia or depression for example.
Reply 907
Original post by Anonymous
What about on UCAS? Do you think I need to select 'mental health condition'?
I'm okay-ish, I can cope most of the time and my school don't know...I just don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill by selecting the same option as I would select if I had severe schizophrenia or depression for example.

It's up to you :yep:
Original post by sophiesticated
It can be OCD, yeah. I depends, and it can have other causes, but I think if you can't think of any other reasons for it then it probably is OCD, especially if you have other things too (I find myself counting my steps and things like that)

I feel really sorry for you, you seem to have had it really bad :frown:
I've been quite lucky with it, I don't have it quite as severely as that and I've got really thick hair so I managed to stop it from being too noticeable, but I spent years not knowing what it was because none of my doctors could diagnose it.

And don't feel stupid. Don't. It's OCD, and you can't help it. It's not your fault.
Have you considered getting help with it, if you're worried it might get worse? My doctor recommended CBT for it, so if it does get worse again, you could try that maybe?

It isn't so bad at the moment :smile: I think after that first time I had it when I was younger, I've always been aware that it could get bad again, so I know what to look out for and try to find ways to deal with it as soon as it starts. It helps that my mum knows and is really understanding about it.

I know I shouldn't feel stupid, thanks for reminding me though :smile: As for CBT, a friend of mine had it for something different and from her I have only heard good things... but I will wait and see how I go, maybe I am worrying about nothing and it will stay as it is.

Hope you are doing okay!
Original post by BrachiosaurusRex
It isn't so bad at the moment :smile: I think after that first time I had it when I was younger, I've always been aware that it could get bad again, so I know what to look out for and try to find ways to deal with it as soon as it starts. It helps that my mum knows and is really understanding about it.

I know I shouldn't feel stupid, thanks for reminding me though :smile: As for CBT, a friend of mine had it for something different and from her I have only heard good things... but I will wait and see how I go, maybe I am worrying about nothing and it will stay as it is.

Hope you are doing okay!

Well, I have read, and my doctor did say, that apparently it often 'goes away' as you get older. It tends to be OCD in younger people, and often disappears with adulthood. It sounds like that's happening to you. :biggrin: I'm hoping that mine's starting to go the same way, although it's harder to tell as it was never as bad as it sounds like yours was. But I think it might be :smile:
Good luck with it! Anyway, if it is getting better, than don't worry too much about moving making it worse :biggrin:
Reply 910
Does anyone else get 'ups and downs'? Like you'll be great for a week or two and then things start to go downhill?
Reply 911
Hygiene OCD is getting SO bad atm. SO much worse and I have no idea what to do.
Reply 912
Original post by ViceVersa
Hygiene OCD is getting SO bad atm. SO much worse and I have no idea what to do.

Hi! Hold tight, it will get better soon.
I'm having a bad patch too, I sometimes find that telling myself that it's not important, that it doesn't matter to your life helps. Everytime I get an urge to carry out a pointles task, I resist, telling myself it doesn't matter. Sometimes the feeling can gradually ebb away, until it stops mattering so much.
I feel your pain though. Become so furious with myself today for letting myself down when I was doing so well.
Hope you feel better ASAP :hugs:
Reply 913
Original post by Ursin
Hi! Hold tight, it will get better soon.
I'm having a bad patch too, I sometimes find that telling myself that it's not important, that it doesn't matter to your life helps. Everytime I get an urge to carry out a pointles task, I resist, telling myself it doesn't matter. Sometimes the feeling can gradually ebb away, until it stops mattering so much.
I feel your pain though. Become so furious with myself today for letting myself down when I was doing so well.
Hope you feel better ASAP :hugs:

Thanks :hugs: I hope it does. Just seems so much worse. Like my parents have started noticing I use wipes and tissues a lot and all these things. My mother's also noticed I clean the remote control every time before I use it etc, and it's made me realise how bad I've gotten with the hygiene stuff. Also having trouble using public transport too...before I used to cope but now I can't cope as much and I'm starting to struggle with public buses more. Just need to put it out of my mind. There's also something else but what it is escapes me atm.

Thanks for the advice, I think I need to start telling myself that more often otherwise I can see myself getting so much worse with it all. Aww hun, I know that feeling :hugs: Just try to tell yourself not go give up okay :hugs: Thanks a lot sweetheart, I hope you do too. And in response to your earlier post, yes I do get ups and down too x
Reply 914
Been so long. How's everyone doing? I'm finding some things a bit easier but I also have new compulsions. :nn:
Hey all. Don't think I've posted here before. I've had a mush of problems including depression, severe anxiety, etc. but most of that is okay now - it's "just" the OCD that will not leave me (and is probably getting worse).

On the UCAS front, I put "no disability" because I feel I can deal with it and I don't want to make a big fuss about it. As others have said, I think it's up to you. Certainly if you think you might need some support at Uni it would probably be wise to put it on. Or alternatively you could just make someone aware when you start Uni.
Reply 916
Hi (again :P), just checking back in since I and my family are thinking it's more likely I have OCD now, or maybe it's just severe anxiety I dunno. Hope you're all ok anyway :smile:
Reply 917
Original post by Riku
Hi (again :P), just checking back in since I and my family are thinking it's more likely I have OCD now, or maybe it's just severe anxiety I dunno. Hope you're all ok anyway :smile:

Hey, sorry to hear it. Still, you're very welcome here :hugs: Hope you're okay too.
Reply 918
Good day everyone :smile: Hope you're all good. Feeling sort of 'over-sensitive' today to my obsessions, I think it's to do with it being half term, because lately I've been almost too busy to think too deeply about any of it, which seems to be good.
Anyway, I'm going through a self-help book, which seems to offer good advice, although I'm not entirely sure how effective it will be. I was just wondering, has anyone had any success with these types of things, without help from a therapist?
Reply 919
Original post by Ursin
Good day everyone :smile: Hope you're all good. Feeling sort of 'over-sensitive' today to my obsessions, I think it's to do with it being half term, because lately I've been almost too busy to think too deeply about any of it, which seems to be good.
Anyway, I'm going through a self-help book, which seems to offer good advice, although I'm not entirely sure how effective it will be. I was just wondering, has anyone had any success with these types of things, without help from a therapist?

Oh hey, how are you feeling now? :hugs: I've looked into one self help book and it only seemed to help for a while. It gave good tips though and I used a few of them. :yes: I think it's good to try though, they have helped lots of people before. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest