The Student Room Group

When the Examiner says ''You Fail'' or you ''Pass'' how do you feel?

I was over the moon passing my practical test with the examiner, I remember pulling back into the test center thinking I'd failed, parked in the bay and switched off the engine. The examiner started counting the marks on the test sheet and after what felt like forever he replied'' You have a pass, congratulations!!''

I was just,... well, buzzing I suppose! I went light headed after hearing those words, was on a proper high, no wonder the instructor wouldn't let me drive back home after the test lol.
And the freedom I felt getting into my car and driving on my own for the very first time was amazing and quite emotional I must say, all the hard work, frustrating/expensive lessons were definitely worth it though.

Years on after passing my own driving test I am now on the opposing side, I am now and have been a driving test examiner for 5 years, I Judge the tests fairly, I wouldn't pass a bad driver because I like them and fail a good driver because I dislike them, I have to be true to my profession and the old myth that an examiner has to fail a small group of people each week is untrue, certainly from my experience, but I myself normally hand out passes rather than fails depending on how the learner drivers whilst in my company.

It feels great to ''pass'' someone their full UK license, at the same time it can totally rip me apart inside failing someone, but a job is a job.

How do you/did you feel after being told you passed/failed?

Scroll to see replies

I felt completely shocked. I was smiling! However the girl who took her test at the same time failed and was crying so I felt quite bad :|
Original post by E.xaminer~
I was over the moon passing my practical test with the examiner, I remember pulling back into the test center thinking I'd failed, parked in the bay and switched off the engine. The examiner started counting the marks on the test sheet and after what felt like forever he replied'' You have a pass, congratulations!!''

I was just,... well, buzzing I suppose! I went light headed after hearing those words, was on a proper high, no wonder the instructor wouldn't let me drive back home after the test lol.
And the freedom I felt getting into my car and driving on my own for the very first time was amazing and quite emotional I must say, all the hard work, frustrating/expensive lessons were definitely worth it though.

Years on after passing my own driving test I am now on the opposing side, I am now and have been a driving test examiner for 5 years, I Judge the tests fairly, I wouldn't pass a bad driver because I like them and fail a good driver because I dislike them, I have to be true to my profession and the old myth that an examiner has to fail a small group of people each week is untrue, certainly from my experience, but I myself normally hand out passes rather than fails depending on how the learner drivers whilst in my company.

It feels great to ''pass'' someone their full UK license, at the same time it can totally rip me apart inside failing someone, but a job is a job.

horny
Reply 3
He started by saying "I'm pleased to say.." So I got pretty excited then, then thought, oh God, maybe he said that as a joke, I've failed haven't I?

..."You've passed, congratulations."

:woohoo:
Original post by E.xaminer~

this i got a lil too excited though and gave him a :hugs: :colondollar:
I'm my first test I failed and it was horrible. He said 'I'm sorry to say' and my heart dropped, the next 2 seconds felt like an eternity. Did not like it one bit!
Reply 6
Failed = sad
Passed = happy
Reply 7
SPEECHLESS! was convinced I'd failed after doing 33 in a 30...
Reply 8
Original post by holly-ver

Original post by holly-ver
SPEECHLESS! was convinced I'd failed after doing 33 in a 30...

If I had you on a test and you kept going over the speed limit by 3mph continually I'd have failed you, however if it was a one or twice only occurance I'd most likely have given you the benefit of the doubt providing the other aspects of you're driving were up to scratch
Like your brain having an orgasm and feeling the fuzziness all day! And I failed two, so I know the crushing bitter disappointment of it.
Reply 10
First time failed:

Second time failed:

Passed:

Basically.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Botticello

Like your brain having an orgasm and feeling the fuzziness all day! And I failed two, so I know the crushing bitter disappointment of it.

Hi, I remember on the Southport driving test center thread you said Roy Wong failed you, well have you passed yet and who with?

I failed with Roy and passed with John
First time I failed I didn't feel too bas as it was only my 1st time and I knew I'd failed.
Second time I was disappointed given I'd already failed and this one wasn't so bad, but that examiner was harsh.
Third fail I didn't fell too bad surprisingly, but that was mainly as I was so close to passing I knew I could do it.
Fouth was a disaster, worst I ever felt.
When I passed I was happy but I felt slightly underwhelmed as it was an easy route and (not meaning to sound cocky) I pulled in sortof knowing I'd passed.
Reply 13
I passed a month ago!! and when he said 'Congratulations, you have passed'....i was like REALLLLY!! haha!!...
Passed first time and cried my eyes out. Driving instructor/tutor came over and was all "don't worry we'll rebook straight away, just nerves" etc while I sobbed and tried to tell him it was okay and I'd passed. Don't know what the examiner must have thought!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Well examiners usually count up the marks just as you're getting back to the test centre, and if you have passed, they usually reach in to their door's compartment to reach for the pass certificate. Sneaky tip :u:
Original post by joshgoldman
Well examiners usually count up the marks just as you're getting back to the test centre, and if you have passed, they usually reach in to their door's compartment to reach for the pass certificate. Sneaky tip :u:

that is useful.

When i passed i remember a wave of ecstasy (not the drug :P ) lol
First test- upset
Second test- devastated
Third test- Suicidal
Fourth test- “what again? Oh ok”
Fifth test- “its ok...no really I'm immune to it now”
Sixth test- “this is killing me inside”
Seventh test- I'm going to take one more test...
Eighth test- “WHAT??? WAIT...I PASSED???...about f****** time”.

Sums it up.
Reply 18
Original post by BethaneyJ

Original post by BethaneyJ
Passed first time and cried my eyes out. Driving instructor came over and was all "don't worry we'll rebook straight away, just nerves" etc while I sobbed and tried to tell him it was okay!

passed first time -> crying eyes out-> rebook

Am I missing something, more likely you getting mixed up I think
Reply 19
Original post by slacker07906
First test- upset
Second test- devastated
Third test- Suicidal
Fourth test- “what again? Oh ok”
Fifth test- “its ok...no really I'm immune to it now”
Sixth test- “this is killing me inside”
Seventh test- I'm going to take one more test...
Eighth test- “WHAT??? WAIT...I PASSED???...about f****** time”.

Sums it up.

really, 8 times ? LMFAO :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending