The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Danatlive
Is it important to cover the entire chapter when answering question A part a?

A good way of doing this is doing a quick summary of the chapter (and I mean brief) in the introduction and commenting on why these aspects are necessary for the rest of the novel to be as it is.
Additionally, don't forget to cover structure by writing about how the writer opens and closes the chapter.
Original post by Obsidian
A good way of doing this is doing a quick summary of the chapter (and I mean brief) in the introduction and commenting on why these aspects are necessary for the rest of the novel to be as it is.
Additionally, don't forget to cover structure by writing about how the writer opens and closes the chapter.

Thank you very much. A lot of the time I worry that I haven't put a lot in about structure but most of the time I've done it without realising.
Also can I ask are the examiners really not interested in characterisation as an aspect of narrative and are more interested in structure, narration, voice, point of view etc for question Aa)?
Reply 63
Original post by therathalos
I'd also like some more points for form and structure in the great gatsby. Can anyone give me some revision methods, i'm currently reading through past papers, taking notes on mark schemes and chief examiner sayings. Oh and does anyone have any model answers I could look at? I'd like to look at how to structure the answer better

Edit: Found this on examiners notes
Context remains a problem for some candidates and it is surprising that after
all previous reports we are still finding bolted on details of Auden’s homosexuality, Hardy’s
marital problems and Tennyson’s feelings about Hallam

How do we use context if it is not in relation to the writer? Is it the time period it was written in?

Context can refer to how audiences of different times may react to the poems. A modern reader may find it hard to relate to issues of feminism, for example, (because society today is not as patriarchal as previously) whereas readers at the time the poem was written would very much be able to relate to the poem because society was very much dominated by males. (This is assuming the poem had a feminist message)
Reply 64
Is it just me or is everybody aware that the way we have to write our answers has changed?

My teachers went to a conference and apparently there's a much sharper focus on Structure now instead of Language and Form...presumably because they want to move towards a closed-text exam.

Has everyone else heard this?
Reply 65
Original post by just.wondering

I'm doing : The Kite Runner, Pride and Predjudice WH. Auden for section B and The rime of the Ancient Mariner for section A

well, i dont really have any tips but all i would say is that i realised the mistake i was making the previous times i sat the exam was that i wasnt referring back to the question and especially for section B i hadnt mentioned the Building blocks of narratives and made my points clear.

Fruthermore, just keep in mind your assessment objectives for each question make sure to refer back to the question.

Anyone doing the ancient mariner for section A? what part do you reckon will come up?

Hey:smile:

I'm doing Rime of the Ancient Mariner for section A! Apparently it could Part 4 as that hasn't come up yet...

I'm really scared about Section Aa for this, I've never got higher than a C cause I keep getting told different things to do for this part?

Could you please help me answer a few questions to clarify?

-Do we need to include all of the AON in Section A.a) in order to get an A?

-Also, do you have any examples of your answer for Section A that I could have a look at please? :smile: I'll send you a few too if you would like?
exam is this Thursday >.< one would think that someone re-sitting an exam would be a lot more confident the second time round.

MY TEXTS: The Curious Incident, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Small Island and Keats Poetry.

TIPS: Go over the 6 aspects of narrative: Destination, Point of View, Character and Characterisation, Scenes and Places, Time and sequences and voices in the text. Do this for alll the texts and also find out about the Form, Structure and Language in each of the texts given
Original post by paigums
Is it just me or is everybody aware that the way we have to write our answers has changed?

My teachers went to a conference and apparently there's a much sharper focus on Structure now instead of Language and Form...presumably because they want to move towards a closed-text exam.

Has everyone else heard this?

i am not aware of this. As far as i am concerned its still the same 'formula'
Reply 68
How do you structure Question A.b) ? :smile:
last minute tips now guys... I have been doing many practice essays until now but i do not seem to be getting anything higher than a grade C.. any tips on what makes a grade A essay? particularly focusing on Section B here.. I really need a grade A to meet my university offers :frown:
Original post by poetmistress
i am not aware of this. As far as i am concerned its still the same 'formula'

I am not aware of it either :O
Original post by anna258
Hey:smile:

I'm doing Rime of the Ancient Mariner for section A! Apparently it could Part 4 as that hasn't come up yet...

I'm really scared about Section Aa for this, I've never got higher than a C cause I keep getting told different things to do for this part?

Could you please help me answer a few questions to clarify?

-Do we need to include all of the AON in Section A.a) in order to get an A?

-Also, do you have any examples of your answer for Section A that I could have a look at please? :smile: I'll send you a few too if you would like?

Yeah, it seems like part 4 would be the most likely to come up, however you cannot rely on that assumption because in previous cases i have thought that a specific part will come up but then i have been let down in the exam and completely messed it up because i had only focused on a particular part.

And ofcourse I can help you, if i can that is.. LOL oh and what do you mean by 'AON'? - in section A part A you only do AO2 ( which is language, form and srtucture ofthe part that is being asked)

and in section A part B you do- AO1, AO3 and AO4 just stick to these in order to get an A.. remember to refer back to the question at all times for the second part of section A.

Yes i do have examples of my answers but I have only been getting C's so far in my practice essaysnn nothing higher :/
Original post by Danatlive
Also can I ask are the examiners really not interested in characterisation as an aspect of narrative and are more interested in structure, narration, voice, point of view etc for question Aa)?

never heard of that one before
Reply 73
Can someone tell me what the questions were in June for section B??
Original post by Keeky9494

There was one about description and the other was about gaps in the narrative.

I think. I sat the exam, but I try to block out these things afterwords. :smile:
Reply 75

gaps in narrative and language
Reply 76

Yeah, it seems like part 4 would be the most likely to come up, however you cannot rely on that assumption because in previous cases i have thought that a specific part will come up but then i have been let down in the exam and completely messed it up because i had only focused on a particular part.

And ofcourse I can help you, if i can that is.. LOL oh and what do you mean by 'AON'? - in section A part A you only do AO2 ( which is language, form and srtucture ofthe part that is being asked)

and in section A part B you do- AO1, AO3 and AO4 just stick to these in order to get an A.. remember to refer back to the question at all times for the second part of section A.

Yes i do have examples of my answers but I have only been getting C's so far in my practice essaysnn nothing higher :/

Thanks! :smile: yeah Aspects of Narrative = AON...

Do you normally just choose like 3 AON for A.a) but go into detail?
Hi everyone, hope your revising well!
Anyone got any section A part b examples they want to share :-)
Heres a question A part A answer I did, you guys can look and/or please comment and give feedback
(edited 12 years ago)
For all those doing Gatsby what chapter are you most wanting to come up and least wanting. Id love chapter 2 to come up but I'd hate chapter 6 to come up.
What is everyone predicting to come up in section B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending