The Student Room Group

What is the difference between a star network and a client server

I have been trying to revise and I can't understand the difference between a star network and a client server.

I realise that are star network is a topology and a client server is not a topology.

But they both seem to be the same things to me - from what I understand they are both computers with a central server in the middle and each computer connects into the server.

Could you help?
Thanks
Reply 1
Star network refers to how they're physically connected and client server refers to how they communicate and share resources. You can have a server on a bus network, making it client server (it just doesn't normally happen).
Original post by tooosh
Star network refers to how they're physically connected and client server refers to how they communicate and share resources. You can have a server on a bus network, making it client server (it just doesn't normally happen).

Thanks! I would rep you but I have used it up for today
Original post by tooosh

I am also having the trouble understanding the difference between a Peer To Peer network and a ring topology. They both seem like the same thing to me when I know they are not (they both seem like a 'circle' of computers in a network to me). Could you help with the difference between the two please?

Thanks (by the way I repped you now :wink:)
Reply 4
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
I am also having the trouble understanding the difference between a Peer To Peer network and a ring topology. They both seem like the same thing to me when I know they are not (they both seem like a 'circle' of computers in a network to me). Could you help with the difference between the two please?

Thanks (by the way I repped you now :wink:)

It's the same thing here. Peer to peer refers to how they communicate - all resources shared among the computers, no central servers etc and ring is how they're connected. You can stick a server in a ring network.
so would the advantages and disadvantages be the same between star topology and client server network
same with peer to peer network and mesh topology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending