The Student Room Group

UK doctor working in America?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Organ
Why do you want to work in the USA out of interest?

Oh I haven't completely decided where I want to work. For many reasons (largely unrelated to medicine) I would not like to live in the UK long-term post graduation. I have heard wonderful things about working in the USA in terms of flexibility as a doctor and general standard of living and at the moment it seems like the best alternative to the UK.
However I am of the opinion now (and have been for a long time) that the UK healthcare system is one of the best in the world, and it may well be the case that I do stay here.

So, also out of interest, why do you want to work in the US?
Original post by .eXe
In the US, ophthalmology is not matched via NRMP. You have to apply to this match: http://www.sfmatch.org./

Thanks again! I will have to look into that.

Btw, are you from Canada....just noticed the Canadian flag on the top right of your posts? Are you applying as an international student to study medicine then?

Best of luck with your applications and thanks again for your help :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Still_Learning
Oh I haven't completely decided where I want to work. For many reasons (largely unrelated to medicine) I would not like to live in the UK long-term post graduation. I have heard wonderful things about working in the USA in terms of flexibility as a doctor and general standard of living and at the moment it seems like the best alternative to the UK.
However I am of the opinion now (and have been for a long time) that the UK healthcare system is one of the best in the world, and it may well be the case that I do stay here.

So, also out of interest, why do you want to work in the US?

I'm not sure I do want to work in the USA, I'm weighing up my options - I don't like what I hear about the UK training and the continual grumbling about the standards of it and I think that working as a doctor in this country is not what it once was, although I will reserve judgement until later in the course. I'm not sure I would want to work in the American healthcare system unless the issues around uninsured patient care are resolved - I'm probably going to look at practising in France or French speaking Switzerland (Geneva basically) before the USA or the antipodes.

Original post by digitalis
Their batchelor's degree is of little to no help for Step 1. Correct about 2 years for US students. I did it after 4th year and I think that was the best time. Step 1 requires a lot of clinical reasoning as well that I no way had any time earlier than this.

Thanks for the information. Might PM you in a few months to pick your brains further!

Yes, did a four week sub-interneship in Medicine in the US, this is the best form of US clinical experience that you can get and is essential for matching. It's the US senior attachment where you have your own patients etc. Usually, patients are assigned to an intern (R1) and a 'resident' (R2/R3). Sub-Is are assigned patients in a rotating system with the interns and are expected to do everything that an intern does as there is no R1 assigned to your patients. Very cool experience as a student when the interns are going 'how many patients do you have? 3? I'm swamped, you're taking the next two that are coming in' sort of thing!

That sounds really interesting, more like the duties of a foundation doctor. Is this how final year American medical students are taught?
I have absolutely no idea about working in the US after graduating in the UK, so I would be really grateful if someone could explain the whole procedure to me (pretty please!)

I'm in third year now, and lets say I want to go work in America as soon as possible. Where do I start? (wanted to know this for ages...)
Reply 64
Original post by Isometrix
I have absolutely no idea about working in the US after graduating in the UK, so I would be really grateful if someone could explain the whole procedure to me (pretty please!)

I'm in third year now, and lets say I want to go work in America as soon as possible. Where do I start? (wanted to know this for ages...)

http://www.usmle.org/

http://www.nrmp.org/
Original post by Organ

That sounds really interesting, more like the duties of a foundation doctor. Is this how final year American medical students are taught?

Pretty much! Was a very good experience, crazy hours though. Was doing like 65-70 a week. Made you get out of bed knowing that you had to present the patients and write up their note in the morning! But also very satisfying. Would be great if that level of responsibility could be implemented here.
Reply 66
Original post by Tuvok1153
Hi! I am hoping to study Medicine with and intercalated degree of Neuroscience in the UK, then stay in the UK until I become a consultant. I am thinking of staying in the UK, but I am also curious about working in the US. How long would it take for me to become an attending Neurosurgeon in the US if I was a consultant Neurosurgeon in the UK and what would I have to do?

Please elaborate.
Original post by Isometrix

Do Step 1 revision ASAP. Register on the ECFMG website and pay a fee to book Step 1.
Summer of fourth year-sit step 1. Start looking into doing an SSC and elective in the US. Revise for Step 2CK. Book Step 2 CS when your in America doing your elective. On graduation, get ECFMG certified. Apply to US residencies in September. Interview. Sit Step 3 during interviews if you need the H1b visa. Match in March. Resign FY1 to finish in July. Start your US residency in July.
Reply 68
Pretty much! Was a very good experience, crazy hours though. Was doing like 65-70 a week. Made you get out of bed knowing that you had to present the patients and write up their note in the morning! But also very satisfying. Would be great if that level of responsibility could be implemented here.

Yeah, I know American hours are absolutely mental.

Sounds a different sort of elective to the people monging in Fiji, where did you go in America? I would love to do an elective at Hopkins or something.

What are the gripes in the USA, do they have the same ones as the usual grumbles from doctors at every level of the system UK medical students are informed of?
Original post by Organ
Yeah, I know American hours are absolutely mental.

Sounds a different sort of elective to the people monging in Fiji, where did you go in America? I would love to do an elective at Hopkins or something.

What are the gripes in the USA, do they have the same ones as the usual grumbles from doctors at every level of the system UK medical students are informed of?

Well I went to a very prestigious place on the West Coast, someplace sunny...bit too identifying if I say where :redface:

From what I saw, doctors were doctors there. Here, with the whole MDT thing and 'practitioners in their own right', doctors have been castrated a bit and it's almost embarrassing to introduce yourself as one (cue memories of 'junior doctors' on TV) whereas over in the States doctors were still very highly respected and headed up patient's care. There was no embarrassment about it, doctors were the top dogs. The nurses were fantastic, they nursed well, OTs/Physios/Social workers were great...everyone seemed to just...get on well without having to like prove themselves worthy. I knew all the nurses looking after my patients personally, there were only two...the night and the day nurse. Fantastic computer systems, flawless. Was a really fantastic hospital.

The gripes were about discharge (standard), referrals from the ER (standard), insurance funding and outpatient followup, the unique nature of the 'consult' and getting people to consult, the lack of a primary care doctor hence the lack of coordination between different hospitals and services and discharge planning. Noone seemed to mind much about the hours really, it was just accepted. Everything felt a lot smoother, mind you. You always knew who was on your team, same bunch for your entire rotation. They even scheduled the medical students rotas to coincide with a new team starting.
Reply 70
The American system places favour on its own. It seems that you got some sound advice so far but if you want more solid advice then I suggest taking a visit to a forum more suited to this situation like Value MD or Student Doctor Network etc....

these are American forums and you can get more info from there :h:
Do Step 1 revision ASAP. Register on the ECFMG website and pay a fee to book Step 1.
Summer of fourth year-sit step 1. Start looking into doing an SSC and elective in the US. Revise for Step 2CK. Book Step 2 CS when your in America doing your elective. On graduation, get ECFMG certified. Apply to US residencies in September. Interview. Sit Step 3 during interviews if you need the H1b visa. Match in March. Resign FY1 to finish in July. Start your US residency in July.

Thanks, this was exactly what I needed to know :smile:
One has thought about this issue for some time. The advantages: a healthcare system I prefer in principle as it is not based so heavily around taxpayer funding, a more religious and conservative society and better financial prospects. The disadvantages: would probably get homesick, disagreement with a lot of their social norms (I do have some more "European" views), long distances between places with little public transport

Would it be easier for me as I qualify for American citizenship (my dad is a citizen) than for a Briton going through the visa route?
Original post by ScheduleII

Would it be easier for me as I qualify for American citizenship (my dad is a citizen) than for a Briton going through the visa route?

Yes.
Reply 74
Was it easy enough organising your elective in the states? I've heard it can be a bit of a nightmare x
Original post by orie2261
Was it easy enough organising your elective in the states? I've heard it can be a bit of a nightmare x

As with most things, it depends on how much you want it and how much effort you are willing to put in!
Reply 76
Original post by orie2261

Hey I've managed to organize an elective in the states for my elective this year and I got a place at UCLA- Cedar Sinai hospital. Most of the prestigious hospitals as you to pay a ridiculous amount of money to do your elective there- its about $3000 for 4 weeks to do it at harvard, brown or stanford when I checked about august of last year.

UCLA isnt too hard to get into, its just all the forms you have to fill out.
-healthcare insurance
- vaccination proof within the last year
- $450 fee for a 3 week elective
- medical indemnity letter from your university
- a letter saying all the rotations you've done
- also a letter of recommendation from a consultant in the field that you want to do your elective in.

It took me about 2 months to get get everything together.

It was worth it now to know that i have a sub-internship in anaesthetics.
Original post by -steph-
Hey I've managed to organize an elective in the states for my elective this year and I got a place at UCLA- Cedar Sinai hospital. Most of the prestigious hospitals as you to pay a ridiculous amount of money to do your elective there- its about $3000 for 4 weeks to do it at harvard, brown or stanford when I checked about august of last year.

UCLA isnt too hard to get into, its just all the forms you have to fill out.
-healthcare insurance
- vaccination proof within the last year
- $450 fee for a 3 week elective
- medical indemnity letter from your university
- a letter saying all the rotations you've done
- also a letter of recommendation from a consultant in the field that you want to do your elective in.

It took me about 2 months to get get everything together.

It was worth it now to know that i have a sub-internship in anaesthetics.

OMG! I did an elective at Cedars this year! Was absolutely.amazing. The hospital is like a 5* hotel. Best 3 weeks of med school, hands down.

PM me if you want to know more about the hospital/area/stuff you will need to bring/housing. :smile:
Reply 78
Hey, so I have an offer from the University of Manchester for Medicine and I have also got into Boston University for their 4 year Pre-Med course.

Eventually I would like to practice in the US, unsure about where to study.

It would just be 6 years at Manchester, while at BU I would have to apply for Medical School again so it would total up to 8 years.

Advice?
Original post by djsabi93
Hey, so I have an offer from the University of Manchester for Medicine and I have also got into Boston University for their 4 year Pre-Med course.

Eventually I would like to practice in the US, unsure about where to study.

It would just be 6 years at Manchester, while at BU I would have to apply for Medical School again so it would total up to 8 years.

Advice?

Well you either go the American way start to finish, or train here then go through all the problems this thread has outlined. Bear in mind studying in America will be hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending