The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Ooh just realised what she meant :colondollar:
But its okay as I wasnt talking about OP, I was talking to Kerily lol :tongue:

Haha, and I know that :smile:
Reply 81
You're supposed to get INVITED to parties?

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years...
I would of contacted the friend right away. I rather get a response and move on with my life than ponder about it for days on end.
Reply 83
This happened to me relatively recently - not a super close friend, but close enough that I'd have thought I'd be invited. Found out about it when a mutual friend asked if I was going to the party... that was awkward.
What happened OP? You better not leave us all on a cliffhanger!
Reply 85
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
What happened OP? You better not leave us all on a cliffhanger!

Haven't asked her yet, but I will post in here when I do
Reply 86
Original post by Anonymous
Haven't asked her yet, but I will post in here when I do

Dammit - was I the only one who jumped in here hoping for the conclusion to the events?
OP don't leave us hanging you have to say what happens!!
Reply 88
Just ask her already !!!!
Reply 89
I have a similar problem to you. My 2 best friends ( us three have always been extremely close, even going abroad with one of them and their family ) have kind of excluded me recently. We started college this september and we have kind of been distant but I thought it was because they were busy with college and stuff. Recently I was one of their phones and reading through past messages

Ah, the root of all adolescent misunderstanding; how totally banal.
It's really weird, I do the opposite. I get invited to parties (quite a few actually) but make up excuses as to why I won't come.

Now, my friends don't invite me any more because they know I won't turn up, could it be the same with you? I don't get offended, it's cool.
Reply 91
Also I should add, she's never left me out of anything like this before.

Sounds awkward.
Reply 92
It's really weird, I do the opposite. I get invited to parties (quite a few actually) but make up excuses as to why I won't come.

Now, my friends don't invite me any more because they know I won't turn up, could it be the same with you? I don't get offended, it's cool.

Nah, I've never turned down an invite from her before
Only popped back into this thread to see the conclusion

OP, conclude it soon, you need to ask her
Reply 94
Maybe cos she doesnt think you'll go. So she cba to invite you?
If you haven't messaged her yet, are you really that bothered about not being invited? Is the party for New Year?
Reply 96
I do think if it meant s much you should/would have asked her straight away, leaving it for days will do neither of you any help. It may be difficult to ask your friend it/potentially be embarrassing, but if you leave it for a while it can escalate into something bigger than intended.
Reply 97
Mhmmm, drop hints to her.
Reply 98
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you haven't messaged her yet, are you really that bothered about not being invited? Is the party for New Year?

No its not for NYE and yes I am bothered but I feel a text message cannot convey the appropriate tone.
Personally, it sounds like she just doesn't want you to be there. I have two real-life experiences to give weight to this hypothesis:

1) In all my years, I've never been not invited to a party due to either a) them thinking it was obvious I'd come (you'd still send an invitation out of formality), or b) they're actually a great friend of mine.

2) Could you really forget to invite everyone else, except your best friend? I don't think so. That'd be a much more serious oversight that people in this thread seem to suggest.

Additionally, and this is just me being observant; I've noticed that all the people claiming to have had similar experiences to the OP have been predominately female, and by a long margin, too. Just saying, women tend to be the primary culprits in this dark-dealing and 'best friend' shunning. You'd rarely, if ever, get this with blokes.

EDIT: Several months ago I attended a twenty-first birthday party at a pub. It was the birthday of a girl I knew from schoolgirl, yet had literally not seen in the flesh once since that time. I was still invited, personally, with an invitation.

One of her best friends, however, was not invited, and when I mentioned the party to him in a casual fashion (hey, are you going to such and such a person's party?), he looked at me blankly, as if he'd never heard of any such plans. And of course, he hadn't. Know why? Because for whatever reason, she didn't want him to be there. He made the wise move as to stay home and do something else, instead of make the entire thing awkward. I thought it was a ****ty move by the girl, though not my business.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending