The Student Room Group

Can I re-sit Unit 1's of my AS levels for medicine?

So I sat down to revise for my 3 exams which are next month, bio, chem and psychology all AS and unit 1

Im expected to get A's for the exams but tbh Im pretty sure i wont due to lack of preperation.

I just want to know that If I was to re-sit my unit 1 exams, could I still apply to manchester uni ect ? reason being that they have a no resit policy however does this apply to AS too?
They might mean resit applicants
Reply 2
Just had a look at mancs website, this is what they say

Normally grades AAA (all taken at the same sitting after no more than two years of study)

what does that mean?
Reply 3
Resit's generally mean, retaking exams after you've finished A2 year. Retaking modules during the two year period (AS & A2) is generally fine with all medical schools, i've done so myself.
Reply 4
It means you can resit during the 2-year A-level period, but it's usually discouraged given the level of applicants who won't have resat. However, it is the lesser of two evils resitting one or two modules within a two year period, rather than resitting on a gap year in order to boost grades.
Reply 5
do the universities have access to the information that shows you have resat modules within the two years and will this effect the application?
Reply 6
Original post by inspired23

Original post by inspired23
do the universities have access to the information that shows you have resat modules within the two years and will this effect the application?

If you retake AS modules and have the results before you send off your UCAS application, the university will not see you've retaken any modules.
Original post by Gothica
Just had a look at mancs website, this is what they say

Normally grades AAA (all taken at the same sitting after no more than two years of study)

what does that mean?

So they're saying if you fail your first year and resit, you will not be considered as you've taken 3 years to do your A Levels.
Reply 8
Original post by LifeIsGood
So they're saying if you fail your first year and resit, you will not be considered as you've taken 3 years to do your A Levels.

SO that means if i screw up my first unit 1 exams and re-take them with my unit 2 exams all is ok?
Reply 9
Original post by Gothica
SO that means if i screw up my first unit 1 exams and re-take them with my unit 2 exams all is ok?

Yes, all the onus of filling out the UCAS form honestly falls on your hands. Some may omit retakes on their UCAS form.
Original post by Gothica

Yes, they're not talking about retaking exams although it doesn't look good but they do understand it takes time to get used to the A Level system, but if you completely mess up your first year, you'd have to resit and THEN there's no point applying (Although you can try, but it won't be worth it)
What if you resit the modules from year one in your year two with your A2 modules? Surely then you're still doing it in the two year period?
Reply 12
If i get 3 A's at AS will i be in a strong position for applying to medicine,
my careers advisor said that a lot of applicants have A*'s so i wont really stand out is this true?
what is the minimum grades you have to get to apply for medicine?

Would appreciate the help:smile:
Original post by I.See.Numbers
What if you resit the modules from year one in your year two with your A2 modules? Surely then you're still doing it in the two year period?

Yes as far as I know anyway, it wouldn't hinder your chances but it is isn't looked favourably on as there's a lot of competition so if other people got the grades you are aiming to get in A2 with a resit, it may hurt your chances. I don't say that to be mean or horrible but it is like that and it's better not to be ignorant and know what you have to face. But to directly answer your question, medical applicants aren't looked favourably upon if they resat their AS or A2 year so yes you're correct :smile:

Original post by coolgeek45
my careers advisor said that a lot of applicants have A*'s so i wont really stand out is this true?

You can't get A*s in AS anyway, she must mean A2. I'd honestly say the best thing you can do is aim to get 90%+ in your AS Levels to give yourself a really solid chance, prepare to do really well on your BMAT and it'll take the pressure off from next year.

If you want the variety of grades specifically, go to UCAS and go for a Uni search, look at their prospectuses and it'll tell you what you need, interviews needed etc.
Original post by coolgeek45

The only med school which gives preference to A*'s other than Oxbridge(as it's in their entry reqs) is BSMS so you won't be disadvantaged.

They're looking for doctors not geniuses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending