The Student Room Group

Writing Uni notes in fountain pen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G550NDH
why man why ?! =O

Essays to do over Christmas, knew I wouldn't do work at home...yeah.
Reply 41
Original post by TurboCretin
Like dresses?

You can view fountain pens as an advantage, or biros as a handicap. If you're going to go to university I don't see how a good pen would be an unwarranted expense. It is not materialistic; it doesn't have to be gold-plated, it just has to write well. Buying dresses over pens is materialistic.

Nope. I know when i recieve some sort of money, i just leave it in my bank, so this can hopefully build and can pay for something like my driving lessons, which cannot get any cheaper. As i have to pay this for myself.

No i don't veiw as a huge advantage, but materialisitic things do actually give advantage to middle class students, i have to say :tongue:

Dresses is something you wead so you are not walking around naken, pen is something you can get for free. C'mon man thats just not a good comparison.
Reply 42
Original post by Hogwartz
You were back there, you were making me feel like an idiot and that you are more superior than me, i dislike when people speak to me in such fashion.

Also i can tell because my working class buddies would never buy a fountain pen, and i do not know anyone who owns one. People of this background would spend it on other things that would seem like their priority. And middle class people are brought up to prioritise their education.

WOW, stereotyping much?
I have plenty of "working class buddies" who would buy a fountain pen if they thought it was better for them than a biro. I also have plenty of middle-class friends who value a great many things more than their education, because they know that if they screw up their education, they can fall back on their parents.
If I was making you feel like an idiot by saying that you should have tested the 7 pens you decided to take into an exam, you must be really easily offended. If it was my praise of your sheer brilliance that annoyed you, you can hardly complain. The fashion in which you have addressed any TSR user you feel is middle-class on this topic is childish. Are we to fall at your feet, declare ourselves working class victims of the society in which we live, and agree with your every thought before you declare us worthy of existence?
Reply 43
Essays to do over Christmas, knew I wouldn't do work at home...yeah.

fair play. But i know people who study throughout the whole of xmas even though there are no exams in jan.... Mainly grads tbh ..
Reply 44
Original post by Katie_p
WOW, stereotyping much?
I have plenty of "working class buddies" who would buy a fountain pen if they thought it was better for them than a biro. I also have plenty of middle-class friends who value a great many things more than their education, because they know that if they screw up their education, they can fall back on their parents.
If I was making you feel like an idiot by saying that you should have tested the 7 pens you decided to take into an exam, you must be really easily offended. If it was my praise of your sheer brilliance that annoyed you, you can hardly complain. The fashion in which you have addressed any TSR user you feel is middle-class on this topic is childish. Are we to fall at your feet, declare ourselves working class victims of the society in which we live, and agree with your every thought before you declare us worthy of existence?

yes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by G550NDH
fair play. But i know people who study throughout the whole of xmas even though there are no exams in jan.... Mainly grads tbh ..

Yeah, I have exams in jan as well unfortunately. Before term starts actually.

Yours,

A grad student.
Reply 46
Yeah, I have exams in jan as well unfortunately. Before term starts actually.

Yours,

A grad student.

lol fair enough. Good luck mate
Reply 47
I'm talking about MY buddies not yours :facepalm:.
Exactly i agree with the part in bold!
I didn't take 7 pens to the exam :nothing: (they were schools)
i took 2, but because my school is really bad, so it was freezing cold whilst we were doing our exam and this made the pen stop working! :rolleyes:
I remember being very angry at the time and so i wrote a little note saying 'sorry for **** writing, my pen stopped working because the central heating stopped working!'.

I just want middle class people to admit that they have an advantage than working class. Which no one seems to do, instead they're like ' we are all equal you are just lazy!', and i'm like 'shut up you dont even know the meaning of true work'.

The problem is that your attitude just doesn't endear you to people. You go into any discussion almost looking for a fight, because you want people to admit their advantages. You can't hope to have a sensible discussion with somebody if the first thing you do is insult them or suggest that you in some way have more right to be wherever you are than them (whether you believe it or not, whether it is true or not, nobody likes to hear it!)

However, we have gone off-topic.

Fair enough if the pens were fine to start off with, you just made it sound like you had 7 broken pens and hadn't bothered to check any of them!

I still think that a pen is a good investment, but if biros work best for you, that's fine. As I've said before, I'm not forcing you to buy a fountain pen, I simply wanted to point out that fountain pens are not always expensive and luxurious, and that for many people they have a lot of advantages, which other peoiple have already pointed out.
Nope. I know when i recieve some sort of money, i just leave it in my bank, so this can hopefully build and can pay for something like my driving lessons, which cannot get any cheaper. As i have to pay this for myself.

No i don't veiw as a huge advantage, but materialisitic things do actually give advantage to middle class students, i have to say :tongue:

Dresses is something you wead so you are not walking around naken, pen is something you can get for free. C'mon man thats just not a good comparison.

Well you were the one that implied that a dress would be a better object for a ten pound spend than a pen would, not me. Secondly, one of my points was that it is hardly materialistic if it makes a tangible and worthwhile difference to your academic performance. Buying a gold plated pen would be materialistic, because it doesnt make a pen any better at what it is designed for.

And you're right. If your uni has law fairs, you can get fountain pens for free. I did. Just make sure you go and talk to slaughter & may and have some intelligent things to say.
Reply 49
Original post by Katie_p
The problem is that your attitude just doesn't endear you to people. You go into any discussion almost looking for a fight, because you want people to admit their advantages. You can't hope to have a sensible discussion with somebody if the first thing you do is insult them or suggest that you in some way have more right to be wherever you are than them (whether you believe it or not, whether it is true or not, nobody likes to hear it!)

I probably do, and i know i won't be changing my veiws, however i do need to change the way i approach my arguments. But i do get slightly worked up when it comes to topics like these. :tongue:
Reply 50
Well you were the one that implied that a dress would be a better object for a ten pound spend than a pen would, not me. Secondly, one of my points was that it is hardly materialistic if it makes a tangible and worthwhile difference to your academic performance. Buying a gold plated pen would be materialistic, because it doesnt make a pen any better at what it is designed for.

And you're right. If your uni has law fairs, you can get fountain pens for free. I did. Just make sure you go and talk to slaughter & may and have some intelligent things to say.

Okay i'll try approaching my arguments more calmly next time, it's just that i got a bit offended by what the other girl said, thats all.
Reply 51
I have problems smudging even with regular ballpoints pens - they used to make us use fountain pens in primary school, and I don't know how on earth I would've finished an exam with one! :|

I'm sure that writing your notes with them is fine, given precautions, but there's always the extra danger factor. Why not use ball points? I have a specific class of 0.5mm, gel-based fast drying ball-points that I use for exams, and they've always been great :smile:.
I went to state schools (first, middle and upper) and all three of them would only let you write with a fountain pen. When we got to sixth form and were allowed to write in biro it was a real novelty:colondollar:

In no way am I or anyone else at school middle class, that's for sure!
I've been using one since I started learning Arabic. My English writing seems to be 1239071208370123 times better with it, even if the nib is cut for Arabic and **** (no idea what the difference is really) which is cool because my handwriting can be awful.

I'm sure some people see it and think lolwut (cause it's sexy as shiiii) but IDGAF. I know of two other people that have kewl pens, and they're both from poor (one of them very poor) backgrounds, so I don't really get why people are making an issue here. They're ****ing pens.

Though the best thing about fountain pens is obviously flicking ink at people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
I use fountain pens on a fairly regular basis although I don't proclaim to be any kind of expert.

The first ink that comes to mind for someone who worries about the integrity of their notes is Noodler's Bulletproof Black. It resists pretty much everything, even bleach. If you wanted to get it off a page, the easiest way would probably be to burn the paper it was written on. It isn't cheap (£15 for a 3oz bottle on the first UK website I found it on), or that readily available here but if your notes are really important to you, I don't know of anything better for you to write them in. Alternatively, there is Noodler's Borealis Black; it seems to be pretty similar to Bulletproof Black but it can be removed from clothes with bleach.

I use Registrar's Ink quite regularly. As the name would suggest; it is waterproof and resistant to U.V., I don't remember how resistant it is to bleach or other chemical attacks but it probably isn't quite as good as Bulletproof Black in that respect. Diamine is a popular brand of registrar's ink but there are others available. Even the Diamine one will be a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of than the Noodler's inks I suggested above. All registrar's inks are blue-black but look considerably lighter when they first go on to the page, only getting darker as they dry. The one thing to take note of if you decide to use any registar's ink is that its pH is slightly acidic. This means that it is recommended that you flush the pens you use with it on a regular basis, otherwise it could cause some damage to their insides.

These are by no means the only solution to your problem, it might be a good idea to check out "Fountain Pen Network" or another pen forum for some more suggestions and reviews. I seem to recall that someone tested a lot of inks with water and bleach and posted a picture of the results, this might be useful if you can find it.
Reply 55
Original post by dstevens
I use fountain pens on a fairly regular basis although I don't proclaim to be any kind of expert.

The first ink that comes to mind for someone who worries about the integrity of their notes is Noodler's Bulletproof Black. It resists pretty much everything, even bleach. If you wanted to get it off a page, the easiest way would probably be to burn the paper it was written on. It isn't cheap (£15 for a 3oz bottle on the first UK website I found it on), or that readily available here but if your notes are really important to you, I don't know of anything better for you to write them in. Alternatively, there is Noodler's Borealis Black; it seems to be pretty similar to Bulletproof Black but it can be removed from clothes with bleach.

I use Registrar's Ink quite regularly. As the name would suggest; it is waterproof and resistant to U.V., I don't remember how resistant it is to bleach or other chemical attacks but it probably isn't quite as good as Bulletproof Black in that respect. Diamine is a popular brand of registrar's ink but there are others available. Even the Diamine one will be a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of than the Noodler's inks I suggested above. All registrar's inks are blue-black but look considerably lighter when they first go on to the page, only getting darker as they dry. The one thing to take note of if you decide to use any registar's ink is that its pH is slightly acidic. This means that it is recommended that you flush the pens you use with it on a regular basis, otherwise it could cause some damage to their insides.

These are by no means the only solution to your problem, it might be a good idea to check out "Fountain Pen Network" or another pen forum for some more suggestions and reviews. I seem to recall that someone tested a lot of inks with water and bleach and posted a picture of the results, this might be useful if you can find it.

Thanks for all the great advice, I don't think I can quite afford Noodlers Ink as I'm distinctively working class :colondollar:
However, I might well look into some cheaper inks :smile:
Reply 56
Aww did they, tell me who they are and i'll have your back yo. :cool:

The last time i came accross a private school attendents. Some were very nice, but others mocked us for wearing 'gangster' clothes. :eek:

Lol so imagine us with out chav clothes on, and them with their smart attire. Huge contrast!

You don't want to know what happened next :hand:

Haha :redface:

Suppose, I don't but well, aren't you a well-spoken State School Attendee?:eek:
Reply 57
Original post by Chqr
Haha :redface:

Suppose, I don't but well, aren't you a well-spoken State School Attendee?:eek:

Me....well-spoken? :colondollar:
The mods have been dissing my grammar actually :sigh:
Don't think I've used a fountain pen since gcse
Reply 59
Does it really matter? Try using it and in case you dont like it take a bic pen with you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending