The Student Room Group

Maths and Further Maths modules

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StanKing
Is it possible to do FP1, FP2 and S2 this year for FM AS seen as FP2 is an A2 module and I haven't done S1 yet.
Altogether for FM, can I do 4 A2 modules and 2 AS modules or does it have to be 3 and 3?

Basically for AS I would recommend you only doing FP1 as FP2 is way to difficult no matter what tutor you have. You need to do C3 C4 to do FP2.
For AS do FP1 S1 S2
You need S1 to do S2.
Reiterating the idea of the replacement of S1 with M1...

Maths : C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, M1

Further Maths: FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, S3

And that would be ok?

Also, which out of those 3 modules for Further Maths I listed do I need 90%+ for the A*?

I'm sure that is OK but you still need to seek permission from Edexcel.

Best three of FP2, FP3, S2 and S3.
Reply 22
Original post by Mr M
I'm sure that is OK but you still need to seek permission from Edexcel.

Best three of FP2, FP3, S2 and S3.

I wouldn't need permission off Edexcel if I am doing...

C1-4, M1 and D1 on AQA.

And on Edexcel I'll do FP1-3, S1-3.

I would only need to tell my teacher that I'm not doing S1 on Edexcel.
I wouldn't need permission off Edexcel if I am doing...

C1-4, M1 and D1 on AQA.

And on Edexcel I'll do FP1-3, S1-3.

I would only need to tell my teacher that I'm not doing S1 on Edexcel.

Some people learn from their mistakes. :rolleyes:

Edexcel are not permitted to award A Level Further Mathematics to a candidate who has not certificated for Mathematics - hence they need to communicate with AQA about you.

By using two Awarding Bodies you are removing the greatest advantage of taking Further Mathematics (it would normally guarantee a high A Level grade through combined aggregration).
Reply 24
Ah f**k.

So what do you think I should do?

Cus I have no idea...
I think that you should take them all with AQA

Your tutor will be able to teach that content just as easily
maths: c1 c2 c3 c4 s1 m1
f maths: fp1 fp2 fp3 s2 s3 m2
Ah f**k.

Cus I have no idea...

You can do the thing you just proposed - you just need to keep Edexcel informed and get permission from your school.

You haven't actually taken any exams yet so I would be tempted to write off the FP1 exam fee and just do everything with AQA. If your tutor isn't up to the job, get another one or teach yourself. I would recommend the Further Maths Support Group but they will steer you towards OCR MEI and you will still face the same set of complications.
Reply 28
Original post by Mr M
You can do the thing you just proposed - you just need to keep Edexcel informed and get permission from your school.

You haven't actually taken any exams yet so I would be tempted to write off the FP1 exam fee and just do everything with AQA. If your tutor isn't up to the job, get another one or teach yourself. I would recommend the Further Maths Support Group but they will steer you towards OCR MEI and you will still face the same set of complications.

I don't think I'd want to cancel the Edexcel FP1 Exam because then I'd have to do 3 FM modules in June... which would be a pain and it took hard work to actually book the exam in the first place; costing £165 and a whole load of phone calls.

To try and conclude... (sorry for the reppitition)

C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, M1 on AQA

FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, S3 on Edexcel

And that phone call to Edexcel to see if they'd award me the qualification.

?
For Further Maths AS is the only module that is different to Maths A-level Further Pure 1?
Reply 30
For maths its: C1-4 + 2 applied
Further maths is slightly more complicated, you have to do: FP1, FP2 and then then do FP3 with 3 applied, or just do 4 applied
The applied modules: M1-5, S1-4, D1-2

On a weirdly unrelated note, I heard on the grape vine that it's actually possible to do FP1 instead of C4 for maths, is there any truth in that whatsoever? I didn't think so.....
I don't think I'd want to cancel the Edexcel FP1 Exam because then I'd have to do 3 FM modules in June... which would be a pain and it took hard work to actually book the exam in the first place; costing £165 and a whole load of phone calls.

To try and conclude... (sorry for the reppitition)

C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, M1 on AQA

FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, S3 on Edexcel

And that phone call to Edexcel to see if they'd award me the qualification.

?

£165? Why? The unit price for a module exam is £14.80 - are you including the cost of your private tuition in your figure?

Edexcel will be fine about that. You don't need to contact them - your exams officer should do it.
Original post by rudin94
On a weirdly unrelated note, I heard on the grape vine that it's actually possible to do FP1 instead of C4 for maths, is there any truth in that whatsoever? I didn't think so.....

You need to engage the services of a new vigneron.
Reply 33
Original post by Mr M
£165? Why? The unit price for a module exam is £14.80 - are you including the cost of your private tuition in your figure?

Edexcel will be fine about that. You don't need to contact them - your exams officer should do it.

Erm... I kinda left booking the exam quite late... yeh...., no I'm not including the price of my tuition.

Ah right, thank you very much!
Erm... I kinda left booking the exam quite late... yeh...., no I'm not including the price of my tuition.

Sorry but I think you have been badly ripped off. High late entries cost three times the normal price.
Original post by Mr M
Sorry but I think you have been badly ripped off. High late entries cost three times the normal price.

But the school does not do FM so, presumably they are charging for an invigilator and/or similar
Original post by TenOfThem
But the school does not do FM so, presumably they are charging for an invigilator and/or similar

If we generously assume that no other exams are on at the same time, I am yet to meet an invigilator who earns £80 per hour.
Reply 37
Ah f**k.

Cus I have no idea...

Get the tutor you are paying for to teach you the AQA spec for Further Maths and sit them in the summer.
You will cover most aspects of Further Pure and it all evens itself out over the units (give or take 1-2 topics) from AQA to Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest