The Student Room Group

Motion to refer Iran to the Security Council

This poll is closed

Should Iran be referred to the MUN Security Council?

Yes48%
Abstain5%
No48%
Total votes: 21
China would like all UN members to debate and vote on whether to bring Iran in front of the Security Council.

Iran has recently resumed it's nuclear research program, which has lead to concerns that it is developing nuclear technology for weapons, rather than nuclear power as Tehran insists. This comes amid such quotes from the President of Iran that he wants Isreal to be wiped off the map, and the holocaust did not happen.

For members wishing to be brought up to speed with whats going on I found this website very helpful:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4031603.stm

Thank you,

The UN delegate for the People's Republic of China.

Scroll to see replies

That was quick
Reply 2
Agent Smith
That was quick

China is the Billy the Kid of Motion Drawing :biggrin:
Reply 3
The Denmark representative votes "Yes".
Reply 4
China would like to "bump" this poll, for fear it was forgotten so far down the table.
Reply 5
Australia agree's with the referal.
It doesn't seem right to stick it, because it's not an announcement, so:

*bump*
Reply 7
Well it's most closer than real life..
Reply 8
France would like to know what we intend to do should Iran be referred. In real life the most likely to happen is an SC resolution reaffirming what the GA has already said.

This is an unprecedented step in the MUN, and although it'll be nice to see some activity in the SC forum (none for three weeks), I'd like an idea of what SC members might be expected to do if the issue of Iran is referred to us.
The simple answer is: I'll post an SC thread asking what should be done about Iran.
Reply 10
I think we'll discuss the appropriate action, then vote on what we should do, then report it to the general assembly
Reply 11
Even the IISS and CIA have admitted Iran is 10 years from building a nuclear weapon. Therefore Serbia has voted against the motion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4606356.stm
Reply 12
Cuba wishes neither to side with radical capitalism nor uber-radical Islam in this particular "clash of civilizations", and does not feel qualified to judge whether Iran has the weapons or not.
Reply 13
**bump**

Must say there is some bizaare votes from representatives in relation to their country but never mind, every vote counts!
Reply 14
Nightowl
**bump**

Must say there is some bizaare votes from representatives in relation to their country but never mind, every vote counts!

Does that include Serbia?
Reply 15
I believe Serbia and Iran have signed a security agreement and have close relations, so no I am not suprised at Serbia.
Reply 16
Nightowl
I believe Serbia and Iran have signed a security agreement and have close relations, so no I am not suprised at Serbia.

Serbia also has a good relationship with Russia.

Which votes do you feel arent reflecting countries' usual stances?
Reply 17
China wouldn't dare say unless China missed a step in China's research of countries stances and China would look a fool.
Reply 18
Nightowl
China wouldn't dare say unless China missed a step in China's research of countries stances and China would look a fool.

We will await the Secretary-General then.
Er, hi. What?

Latest

Trending

Trending