Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to sound really sad, but... books do feel a bit like friends, don't they?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hah, this isn't sad at all - I love books, everyone in my house has their own bookshelf; Bookworms ftw!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simone.xox)
    I get what you mean.
    I'm reading the Help at the moment (which btw you have to read!) and I'm coming to the end and I don't want to leave the characters behind
    I really enjoyed reading that book. Funny thing is just as books can be friends they can carry other human traits like being immoral. I'll expand... I really did love the Help but now I feel sad after reading it because of the controversy surrounding it. Maybe I shouldn't tell you because it may ruin your feelings for the book. But yeah the sad thing is that the author based it on someone and didn't tell the person at all. Wikipedia it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    I really enjoyed reading that book. Funny thing is just as books can be friends they can carry other human traits like being immoral. I'll expand... I really did love the Help but now I feel sad after reading it because of the controversy surrounding it. Maybe I shouldn't tell you because it may ruin your feelings for the book. But yeah the sad thing is that the author based it on someone and didn't tell the person at all. Wikipedia it.
    I finished it the other night and I'm still torn on whether to be happy or sad. Happy because Skeeter's going to New York, but sad because of the abuse Minny had to take Aibleen got fired and it really tugged at my heart.

That's so strange about the lawsuit, it says at the end of the book the author wrote about her maid Demitre who is now long dead. Reading that has kind of disapointed me now, but it is still a good book
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's cute I can see what you mean because theres something 'warm' about them. But I'd hate to be forced to read them in English Literature, my sisters list is quite something!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ersatz friends, obviously inferior to real friends, as books, in my view and the words of RL Stevenson, "are a bloodless substitute for life". The only reason you've got positive rep is for your show of diffidence.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Books are a sometime acquaintance and occasional object of flirtation, but generally they are experienced in one-night stands.
    I would never get all of my books on one night stand. :cool:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thing with books is that context is a blank canvas gradually coloured by the imagination. Though physical description can be guided by the author, it is up to the reader to form a mental description that provides a personal backdrop throughout the book. You don't have that option in film etc.

edit: reading that again, it is almost certainly the gayest thing I have ever written.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You do feel a strong connection to a book...especially if it's in first person....then you really get the feeling of somebody talking to you rather than telling you something.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    I don't mean that I talk to them, or anything like that.

But I was reading the thread about the books people get for Christmas, and the thought of opening up a book full of interesting people and places etc. really warms my heart. I know, I know, don't judge.

I don't mean they are 'friends', but they seem to excite a kind of affection in me that other forms of media don't - probably at least in part because you can open them up wherever, whenever, and just start reading. But there's something else...

You'd never find someone cherishing a DVD the way people do some books. Does anyone else know what I mean?
    I don't even read much yet still that title made me smile.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree. When I was younger (i'm 15 now) I used to lose myself in other worlds that were contained in books. I love the Harry Potter books, they transported me to a whole new, magical and exciting world and Harry, Ron and Hermione were my best friends for many, many years. I desperately wanted Hogwarts to be real, I wanted it so badly that it was a kind of ache, and when, at aged 11, I didn't get a letter I was so disappointed! It was the same with Narnia. I think when reading the books you feel a closer attachment to the characters than when you see a film and I think until you shut that book and go back into the real world then it does seem real. I'm always reading and my mum always says why don't you go to the library but I prefer to have the books so that I can reread them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean. I just finished re reading Skullduggery Pleasant and it felt like going to visit a friend after a long time away from them. Ugh I just realised how sad I am, oh well
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    That isn't sad at all. I completely understand what you mean.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe:'))
    I completely agree. When I was younger (i'm 15 now) I used to lose myself in other worlds that were contained in books. I love the Harry Potter books, they transported me to a whole new, magical and exciting world and Harry, Ron and Hermione were my best friends for many, many years. I desperately wanted Hogwarts to be real, I wanted it so badly that it was a kind of ache, and when, at aged 11, I didn't get a letter I was so disappointed! It was the same with Narnia. I think when reading the books you feel a closer attachment to the characters than when you see a film and I think until you shut that book and go back into the real world then it does seem real. I'm always reading and my mum always says why don't you go to the library but I prefer to have the books so that I can reread them.
    Lol, this reminds me of when I read the first HP book when I was 8. I completely believed that when I was 11 I would get a letter from Hogwarts!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Lol, this reminds me of when I read the first HP book when I was 8. I completely believed that when I was 11 I would get a letter from Hogwarts!!
    I read the first one when I was seven and I spent almost my whole eleventh birthday waiting by the letter box for the postman and he didn't have any letters for me :'(
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe:'))

I'm not even gonna lie. I'm seventeen in 3 days and there's still a little bit at the back of my head that wishes Hogwarts was real..
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I totally understand. It's part of the reason I hate losing a book and having to buy a new copy- I like holding the same book I did when I was eleven.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youjustburnkid)
    I'm not even gonna lie. I'm seventeen in 3 days and there's still a little bit at the back of my head that wishes Hogwarts was real..
    Hogwarts is real to me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally get this! I have been known to cry after a good book because I feel so sad to leave the characters ;'( haha.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The book is better then the film anyday. the book makes you think and imagine perfectly.you can think of every detail like how a character walks and looks like in your head to how they talk. whereas films miss out some amazing events like they missed out the quidditch in the harry potter movies and also the actors are'nt what you expected.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 11, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.