The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Biomedical Sciences Applicants 2012

Didn't find a dedicated Biomedical Sciences thread for this year, so I thought I should make one.

How's everything going? Got your questionnaire or perhaps even your decision? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
YEY :biggrin: Finally Biomed thread specifically for UCL applicants. I have sent my questionnaire a couple of months ago and received my offer, after attending their UCAS day :biggrin: It's going to be my firm offer I think, how's your application going????
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Evie94

Original post by Evie94
YEY :biggrin: Finally Biomed thread specifically for UCL applicants. I have sent my questionnaire a couple of months ago and received my offer, after attending their UCAS day :biggrin: It's going to be my firm offer I think, how's your application going????

Congrats! :biggrin: My application was a bit funny actually. I sent it in way back in October, but never got a notification beyond the acknowledgement, so I decided to email them a short while ago to check whether there's anything wrong. Don't know what happened (maybe they forgot/misplaced my application somehow?) but they sent me the questionnaire right afterwards, and gave me an offer two days after I sent it back.

Gonna wait until all my offers come in first, but UCL has a good chance of being my firm!
Reply 3
Original post by Bioran
Congrats! :biggrin: My application was a bit funny actually. I sent it in way back in October, but never got a notification beyond the acknowledgement, so I decided to email them a short while ago to check whether there's anything wrong. Don't know what happened (maybe they forgot/misplaced my application somehow?) but they sent me the questionnaire right afterwards, and gave me an offer two days after I sent it back.

Gonna wait until all my offers come in first, but UCL has a good chance of being my firm!

Wow that's really strange!!!! Good job you emailed them then, and congrats on your offer :biggrin: Which other universities did you apply to????
Reply 4
Original post by Evie94

Original post by Evie94
Wow that's really strange!!!! Good job you emailed them then, and congrats on your offer :biggrin: Which other universities did you apply to????

Going for ICL, UCL (duh!), Durham, Edinburgh and Warwick. :smile: You?
Reply 5
Original post by Bioran
Going for ICL, UCL (duh!), Durham, Edinburgh and Warwick. :smile: You?

I've applied to UCL, Royal Holloway, Leeds, Oxford and Warwick. I have my offers from Leeds, UCL and Warwick, Interview at Royal Holloway and Rejection from Oxford :/ I was going to apply to Durham, its such a good university but a bit too close to home unfortunately.
Reply 6
Hi all, ive just got this invitation for an open day after i submitted the questionnaire. Do i have to attend it to have a chance of getting an offer? Its just that im on a gap year and i am probably going abroad during that date but i obviously want an offer :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Pop?
Hi all, ive just got this invitation for an open day after i submitted the questionnaire. Do i have to attend it to have a chance of getting an offer? Its just that im on a gap year and i am probably going abroad during that date but i obviously want an offer :smile:

Hi, from what I have heard about UCL you are supposed to attend the open day and then have an informal interview with an admissions tutor and you receive your offer on the day :biggrin: Although I didn't have an interview or anything and just had to sign up on the day to receive my offer, so you could maybe give the admissions people a call or an email to ask I suppose- especially if your not going to be in the country. Hope that helps :biggrin:
Who else is going to the open day on the 17th January?
Reply 9
Just got my offer! :smile: Do you know if you can change courses, for example, to neuroscience once you have the offer?
Original post by pabloishere

Original post by pabloishere
Just got my offer! :smile: Do you know if you can change courses, for example, to neuroscience once you have the offer?

Heyy, that's what I am considering as well. I'm not sure about if they let you change right away, maybe email Jeremy Cook (he's the neuroscience programme tutor). Even if they don't let you, all biomed students have the opportunity to transfer to various programmes including neuroscience after first year (providing you do well enough)

source:the online prospectus
Reply 11
Original post by imsorrymissjackson
Heyy, that's what I am considering as well. I'm not sure about if they let you change right away, maybe email Jeremy Cook (he's the neuroscience programme tutor). Even if they don't let you, all biomed students have the opportunity to transfer to various programmes including neuroscience after first year (providing you do well enough)

source:the online prospectus

Hello :biggrin: When I went to the open day, the admissions staff Sao that only 10% of biomed applicants opt to transfer over, but only about 5% actually do-although I don't really know why this is I might email to find out. I was contemplating transferring over Neuroscience- although they did say that biomed has better career prospects as it is more broad :biggrin:
Original post by Evie94

Original post by Evie94
Hello :biggrin: When I went to the open day, the admissions staff Sao that only 10% of biomed applicants opt to transfer over, but only about 5% actually do-although I don't really know why this is I might email to find out. I was contemplating transferring over Neuroscience- although they did say that biomed has better career prospects as it is more broad :biggrin:

hello again :tongue: hmmm...that's strange what happens to the other 5% ? If you do email and get a reply could you message me please. Biomed is probably better in terms of giving you options but ucl neuroscience is really highly ranked and I've now come to realise that's the area I'm most interested in.

Oh well, I'll probably just email Dr. Cook after I get my offer (should I get my offer)
Reply 13
Original post by imsorrymissjackson
hello again :tongue: hmmm...that's strange what happens to the other 5% ? If you do email and get a reply could you message me please. Biomed is probably better in terms of giving you options but ucl neuroscience is really highly ranked and I've now come to realise that's the area I'm most interested in.

Oh well, I'll probably just email Dr. Cook after I get my offer (should I get my offer)

Yeah, that's why I was going to email Dr Houston, who told us this- and yeah I'll message the reply on here :biggrin: I know I wad going to originally apply for Neuroscience too
Reply 14
Does an invite to the UCL open day mean that they will definitely give you an offer? or will they still sort through applicants after that?
Reply 15
Original post by elgonzo
Does an invite to the UCL open day mean that they will definitely give you an offer? or will they still sort through applicants after that?

At the open day which I attended we were told that all the biomed applicants would receive an offer :biggrin: Have you been invited to an open day????
Reply 16
yes on the 9th March what hapens at the open day? waiting to hear from my med schools though
Reply 17
Original post by elgonzo
yes on the 9th March what hapens at the open day? waiting to hear from my med schools though

Well, on the one that I went to we: got the chance to meet with other applicants-biomed/biochem/biology etc.... went into our course groups and had a short lecture-had lunch-went to another lecture-got told we were all going to receive our offers-went on a tour of UCL .e.g. saw on of the accommodations- Ramsay Hall athough only from the outside-saw one of the labs which we would carry out lab projects-had the chance to talk to current Biomed students and admissions students.

Hope that helps :biggrin:
Reply 18
Those of you who've been to the open day - Any word on internship/work experience possibilities as part of the course?
Reply 19
Hi, I'm going to the open day on 9th March, and to anyone who's already been to one, is it like normal open days or are people in suits like they are for interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending