The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I could be wronge bit most universities seem to ask for6 a+a*'s at alevel which could be a problem. I would advice contacting the universities to see if they would consider your applications.
i think most ask for 5 A's and the sciences have to be in there and i wud advise doin more work exp. or voluntary
Reply 3
Read some prospectuses (thanks to Parsley for the spelling lesson :wink: ) and find out...

I can't see any problem, but then again, there are some places that are rumoured to want more A/A* (the Birmingham = 5A* situation, which was last year). I haven't heard of anywhere that requires As in science or maths or english - the standard level is B.

W/r to work experience, you can never have enough! I am a little worried about only two weeks - a good start, but I'd start looking for a long-term project you'd like to be involved in, maybe in the hospital, maybe on a community project (Millennium Volunteers is a great way to find interesting things to help with). Do you do any voluntary work? Have you done any doctor-stalking? This is important too, though you don't need much. I got away with two days.
Reply 4
in my opinion your gcse grades are fine...i know people who have lower gcse grades than yours and have still got offers......however i think you should do more work experience (like working in a care home etc)....you can never have enough w/e! :biggrin:
you should try to get as much work experience as possible, as institutions do say that GCSEs are important and you will be competing for places with people who have much higher grades. I def. recommend a long term project, i volunteered at a hospital for a year and it was so much fun and just became part of my weekly routine.
Reply 6
you need to show your interviewers your true passion and commitment for medicine, so thats plenty of work experience, goot communication skills, show what youve learnt from work experience.... im working in a nursing home at the moment.... and concentrate on getting As and B's at a level and your gcse grades may not make any difference
Reply 7
http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/8.php - helpful advice for interviews anywhere, not just st andrews.

good luck to your very intelligent girlfriend :P
Reply 8
randdom
I could be wronge bit most universities seem to ask for6 a+a*'s at alevel which could be a problem. I would advice contacting the universities to see if they would consider your applications.

:eek: and there was me thinking it wasnt all about the grades....

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending