Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much culture can you fit in a year? A TSR experiment

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Ah good, I hoped you would say that Well, I shall go to the library tomorrow and hope they have it, if not I will try and find a cheap copy somewhere and donate it to the library afterwards so that some other won't have the same frustration as me :p:

Ah Through the Looking Glass is excellent! I hope you enjoy it
    Ok, cool. Well I bought a Kindle the other day, so I'm good to go whenever...let me know when you have a copy and we can start. If you can't find one tomorrow then we can come back to it at a later date.

I am enjoying, thanks
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    Snobbery. Why is theatre better than a movie or TV?
    Well theatre pieces need to have some element of quality to them, otherwise they wouldn't be put on at all, whereas things like The Only Way Is Essex are put on because they draw big audiences and make money. The theatre industry has so little money put into it in comparison that they have to be selective about what goes on, so they have to be of good quality for the most part, and that usually involves them being challenging and interesting enough to draw people in. It sounds snobbish but the sort of people who attend the theatre (i.e. me) expect something intellectually stimulating as well as entertaining.

Unless of course you're talking about musicals such as 'Legally Blonde' and 'Wicked'. But even then, one of the most successful musicals of all time, 'Les Misérables', is pretty heavy duty.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Just so you know, you need to link to your profile for follow my tv (rather than the dashboard like you've done there). :p:

My tastes in music are dreadful, god only knows what my listening trends will end up looking like.
    My bad I edited the post now.

Really? Well at least you have the guts to show it to everyone, the things I listen to will have to remain my guilty pleasure
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    This is an utterly god-like thread. Sign me up Scotty!
    Give us some account details then. :p:
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Give us some account details then. :p:
    I am Arcadia on Goodreads but don't have accounts on the other sites yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is an utterly god-like thread. Sign me up Scotty! :awesome:

I have already set myself the task to read at least 100 books this year on Goodreads. I've read about 5 already this week.

I also want to see more films/theatre/quality TV so this is 'reet up my street'
    I suppose you go to school or university? How do you manage to read so much?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    My bad I edited the post now.

Really? Well at least you have the guts to show it to everyone, the things I listen to will have to remain my guilty pleasure
    If you could edit your Goodreads link as well to your profile and not your reading list? That will make it easier for people to add you as a friend
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    If you could edit your Goodreads link as well to your profile and not your reading list? That will make it easier for people to add you as a friend
    My bad.. again :lol:. Edited it now
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    To the people doing tv, what are you 'checking'? Only shows you've newly discovered in 2012, previously unseen episodes of existing shows or just everything, even if you've seen it before?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaW)
    To the people doing tv, what are you 'checking'? Only shows you've newly discovered in 2012, previously unseen episodes of existing shows or just everything, even if you've seen it before?
    I've just been doing episodes that I have watched this year. Which can lead itself to some odd results, like appearing to start watching a season of House 6 episodes in.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bought 11 books today in the Kindle sale so hopefully I'll be able to add them to my 'read section' on goodreads soon
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Carrie: was good. I was unsure of Sissy Spacek playing Carrie at the start as I imagined her differently after reading the novel, but she was definitely convincing by the end
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie21)
    Bought 11 books today in the Kindle sale so hopefully I'll be able to add them to my 'read section' on goodreads soon
    Thanks for reminding me! I'd completely forgotten about the sale :p: Just bought 7 myself...which did you go for? I wonder if we got some of the same
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    How does learning a language fit within the parameters of 'Entertainment'?
    By listening to Disney tunes in the language like I am right now. Dutch for the win! :awesome:

Might see about joining a couple of these in the morning.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well theatre pieces need to have some element of quality to them, otherwise they wouldn't be put on at all, whereas things like The Only Way Is Essex are put on because they draw big audiences and make money. The theatre industry has so little money put into it in comparison that they have to be selective about what goes on, so they have to be of good quality for the most part, and that usually involves them being challenging and interesting enough to draw people in. It sounds snobbish but the sort of people who attend the theatre (i.e. me) expect something intellectually stimulating as well as entertaining.

Unless of course you're talking about musicals such as 'Legally Blonde' and 'Wicked'. But even then, one of the most successful musicals of all time, 'Les Misérables', is pretty heavy duty.
    I don't attend theatre and I still expect something stimulating as well as entertaining. Just because I watch movies does not mean I watch all movies. I find certain TV shows very entertaining, but only watch series - don't own a TV and never seen The Only Way is Essex. Watching popular media does not mean someone isn't discerning and simply watches everything put out there. Perhaps what's put out on TV on DVD isn't particularly selective but individuals can be with what they watch and there ARE good quality films out there.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Anna<)
    Thanks for reminding me! I'd completely forgotten about the sale :p: Just bought 7 myself...which did you go for? I wonder if we got some of the same
    I thought the sale ended at midnight!

I bought some sciency ones, some fiction and some thrillers so I got:

The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey

The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley

The Drowning Pool by Syd Moore

The Neurotourist by Lone Frank

Look at Me by Jennifer Egan

My Beautiful Genome by Lone Frank

Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell

Perfect by Sara Shepard

A Sister's Gift by Giselle Green

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

What about you?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlesworth)
    Is it good? I've mean meaning to watch it as I love Band of Brothers.
    yer I thought it was really good, I've been meaning to watch Band of Brothers because I've heard its alot better, so you might be dissapointed. What's it like?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockeyjoe)
    yer I thought it was really good, I've been meaning to watch Band of Brothers because I've heard its alot better, so you might be dissapointed. What's it like?
    Band of brothers is amazing. I heard the Pacific has more personal storylines? Band of brother's doesn't and each episode focuses normally either on a specific event from WWII or follows a specific person. If you do get to watch it I hope you enjoy it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great idea!

• 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie21)
    I thought the sale ended at midnight!

I bought some sciency ones, some fiction and some thrillers so I got:

The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey

The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley

The Drowning Pool by Syd Moore

The Neurotourist by Lone Frank

Look at Me by Jennifer Egan

My Beautiful Genome by Lone Frank

Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell

Perfect by Sara Shepard

A Sister's Gift by Giselle Green

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

What about you?
    I know, me too! I saw your post, thought I'd check and managed to get the books at sale price; checked back at about 00:30 and the prices had shot back up. So, really: thank you!

Ooh, we didn't get any the same..I think I missed looking at the sections you bought during my frenzied buying spree :p:
    Yours all sound really interesting :yep:

I got:

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison

The Unforgotten Coat by Frank Cottrell Boyce

As Good as God, as Clever as the Devil by Rodney Bolt

Unique by Alison Allen-Gray

Off with their heads!: All the Cool Bits in British History by Martin Oliver

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötszch

Oh, and I bought this the other day:

The Etymologican by Mark Forsyth

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 21, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.